A whining shrill rining type noise on tickover. Tdi

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I ve been getting a whining shrill noise on tickover it almost sounds like a metallic ringing. :confused: Proberly not a very good description but it can get quite loud. Some days its fine it comes and goes I ve looked to see if anything metal is rubbing on a pulley wheel as it sounds a bit like that. Strange anyone had anything like this on their Tdi ?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I know its a wild card. It should be nothing as ive only done 3k miles. Its due its first service in a couple of weeks so i will mention it and hope it does the noise on the day.

kenny_fr

Sep 19, 2007
Glasgow
1st service you sure they didnt service mine till 10,000 mate.

Does it clear when you rev it by chance?

Jan 9, 2008
Sandbach
Could be coming to 12 months old...hence the service.

I took mine in because of something similar on startup, they said it could be alternator load

kenny_fr

Sep 19, 2007
Glasgow
Fair enough mate never thought of that just wondering about
this as i had a similar noise but it seems to be away now only lasted
a day or so.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Yep its just coming up for a year and the stealer has sent a card requesting i book it in. Yes when you increase the rpm the shrill ringing goes. Strangely it was fine today not a sound. Its normally quite when i tickover to demist and clear ice etc but when ive done my short 6 mile journey to work its then it makes the noise. Its worrying as it can sound like a metal on metal contact noise like a pulley catching a piece of block casting and ringing.

I am going to mention it when the car goes in along with the bloody annoying shuddering tickover which comes and goes as well. :(

Still puts a smile on face though :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.