A1 Gp

Cadwell

Well I was there today taking pictures.

I've never been to a race meeting where there have been so many red flags during qualifying. Some of these A1 GP drivers seem to have no idea how to get round a race track. :blink: Where did they find them from?

The TGP was very good and much louder than the A1 GP (loud = "good" by the way). The GT250 seems to be made up of a bunch of refugees from the British GT, Britcar and Pirrelli Ferrari Maranello challenge, many of them with their original series stickers still on.

As far as the circuit goes, MSV seems to have put in some effort with the odd temporary grandstand and some addition catering. However, if they get the rumoured 70,000 in there then there is no way that the facilites will cope. If you're going then expect to be peeing in the bushes and take some sandwiches!

Looks like it could be a good series though.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Watched the re-run on Sky earlier. They didn't seem to be very fast from what I saw. Maybe it was just the camera, but there wasn't the speed that I expected to see from them. What were they like from seeing them in person?

Some decent slides though and some over-enthusiastic driving from the lesser drivers........

You've got to hand it to MSV though, Brands does look a lot smarter than I have ever seen it. It really looks good on TV. Amazing what a lick of paint can do.

Cadwell

Oh the A1 GP cars are quick enough without a doubt; particulalry through some sections of the GP circuit where they got to stretch their legs a bit. One thing I should have mentioned about the A1 GP cars though. They SMELL funny. Yes, that's right... you heard. They have a peculiar odour. :blink:

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
They don't run on some funny fuel do they? I remember the Champ Cars at Brands when they were there, with the unusual smell of methanol.

I got my first sniff of the bio-ethanol BTCC car at the MK demo last week. When it passed by, it reminded me of sniffing a bottle of vodka, then that aroma being followed by a not very pleasant odour. :blink:

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
I would have thought so too..but then watching the great britain team up near the top of the practise times filled me with national fervour and I realised here was an international sport we could actually do very well on...

In this country we have a wealth of talented drivers from karting to F3 etc but as they climb the ladder their carreers are always thwarted by a lack of cash while Latin americans or Malaysians or Turks, Hungarians or whowever fill the top jobs because they come from countries where huge wealth is attainable because exploitation still exists....Russia...etc etc
They come from countries where there is a huge divide between the rich and the poor due as I said to exploitation...

Our British drivers then don't get a look in...

But this format will give us the chance to do waht we do best...drive...

unless politics take over and some of our drivers mysteriously get knocked off the track by lower order drivers..shhh who mentioned bribes and team alliances..:(

You never know...watch this space....:(

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
mark sheerin said:
In this country we have a wealth of talented drivers from karting to F3 etc but as they climb the ladder their carreers are always thwarted by a lack of cash while Latin americans or Malaysians or Turks, Hungarians or whowever fill the top jobs because they come from countries where huge wealth is attainable because exploitation still exists....Russia...etc etc
They come from countries where there is a huge divide between the rich and the poor due as I said to exploitation...

Our British drivers then don't get a look in...

:(

Fortunately there are very talented drivers in this country and similar countries who may start or stop their careers due to lack/availability of cash input.

you’re right with the other countries there is a huge divide monetary wise. I mean some of these guys bring huge money into the motorsport and are signed up even if they are crap…I can’t recall driver names etc but years ago in F1 drivers like Katayama didn’t perform or improve much in the time.

Generally though with Motorsport you need a certain amount of cash input even to get on the track in the first place irrespective of which country you’re in.

I guess the only way to find raw talent in any country would be for the professional bodies to allow anyone a free trial and the best ones go forward, maybe choose urban, undeveloped areas e.g. villages or inner city areas if we’re talking about developed countries for example....

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
M25 Clockwise From J1A to J2:

There are 3 miles of stationary traffic - AVOID

Looks like they forgot that Brands is down the country lanes. I wonder if they've got the Car Boot on as well this weekend

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
m0rk said:

Looks like they forgot that Brands is down the country lanes. I wonder if they've got the Car Boot on as well this weekend
Hmmm, sounds similar to the first year they ran the Rockingham 500!

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
m0rk said:

:lol:

Imagine the fun they'll all have getting out :funk:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Brilliant pit stop too, to take the lead. Good Old British Luck strikes again.

At least the bloke from the Lebanon was lucky, that was a hell of bin, into Paddock Hill, great footage in car too, next time mate keep you hands in the cockpit. :no:

Go on the Aussies.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
.....safety car has done more laps than the competitors :cartman:

safety car is out......in.......out.......in again.......back out.......those marshalls will be suing Brands and A1 GP for RSI injuries if they have to wave those yellow flags anymore :cartman:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.