ABD Racing Inlet manifold

Mook

Another mod option I'm looking at (running with a hybrid K04) is the ABD Racing inlet manifold?

Anyone installed or used one of these? Awesome GTI are the UK distributors, and their stock response is "yes, it makes a significant difference", which to me means they're reading off the ABD marketing blurb.

Non DBW car, so no problem with the location of the throttle.

Cheers

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Another mod option I'm looking at (running with a hybrid K04) is the ABD Racing inlet manifold?

Anyone installed or used one of these? Awesome GTI are the UK distributors, and their stock response is "yes, it makes a significant difference", which to me means they're reading off the ABD marketing blurb.

Cheers
I'm not so sure mate. Best thing will be to allow Awesome to fit it and get a before and after dyno for your own piece of mind. I believe these mani's are only of benefit to the big turbo installs which a k04 hybrid isn't. Happy to be proven wrong though. :)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
flow bench results of an assortment of manifolds.. to help make your mind up

Intake_Manifold_Comparison.jpg

westallc

Jan 25, 2009
remember that the only one better in small port is the monster 007 but alot more money..

i really dont htink there is much gain unless going big turbo as the stock manni will flow fine..

it does look good though lol as for there claims of 12 bhp on a standard k03s with no other mods there talking crap simple thee is alot of clever blokes on here bill one of them and they will say the same im sure.

the only real test is back to back runs on a dyno but even then things can be changed to make it look better just like some mappers do to make there product look good.......

INA

Garrett Super STAR!
Dec 8, 2007
www.inaengineering.com

Cheers
I love the guys over at awesome GTI but the above is not entire true.
+10hp maybe but not more than that.
The manifold is a very poor design and is basically an OEM manifold with a larger plenum.Great for cost but poor for performance.

Expect to see how our manifold performs very soon :)

Mook

flow bench results of an assortment of manifolds.. to help make your mind up

Wow - thanks for that one Bill :worship:

Bill - based on budget and having a driver's side throttle body (all i/c pipework already in place), I think the only options are ABD and RMR. Is this correct?

The disadvantage I can see with the RMR option is the comment on the JBS site (UK RMR distributor) that This is not a direct replacement and will require custom fuel lines, pressure regulator holder and boost hoses.

Boost hoses is not a problem, but what about fuel lines and FPR holder?

Also, I've got a set of genesis 550 injectors - will these fit the RMR manifold or will I need adaptors?

I'm targetting 300-310 bhp (using a hybrid K04) - for some reason this is a magic figure in my head and I'm after 325bhp/tonne in my Mk2 golf - again a magic figure.

Based on 265-270bhp with a stock K04, stock inlet and exhaust manifolds, is adding the JBS exhuast manifold, hybrid K04, injectors and modded inlet manifold going to get me there or thereabouts?

Cheers for your help.

Mook

Expect to see how our manifold performs very soon :)

Issam - so are you following your K04 cast manifold with a higher flowing inlet manifold? If so, any figures and when do you expect it to be available?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
whats wrong with using the std AGU largeport stock intake manifold ?

largeport was it? your head?

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Wow - thanks for that one Bill :worship:

Bill - based on budget and having a driver's side throttle body (all i/c pipework already in place), I think the only options are ABD and RMR. Is this correct?

The disadvantage I can see with the RMR option is the comment on the JBS site (UK RMR distributor) that This is not a direct replacement and will require custom fuel lines, pressure regulator holder and boost hoses.

Boost hoses is not a problem, but what about fuel lines and FPR holder?

Also, I've got a set of genesis 550 injectors - will these fit the RMR manifold or will I need adaptors?

I'm targetting 300-310 bhp (using a hybrid K04) - for some reason this is a magic figure in my head and I'm after 325bhp/tonne in my Mk2 golf - again a magic figure.

Based on 265-270bhp with a stock K04, stock inlet and exhaust manifolds, is adding the JBS exhuast manifold, hybrid K04, injectors and modded inlet manifold going to get me there or thereabouts?

Cheers for your help.
310 bhp is no problem with a k04 hybrid on its own. Rods are recommended though.

Mook

whats wrong with using the std AGU largeport stock intake manifold ?

largeport was it? your head?

I'm running a small port head on an AUM engine. I looked for an AGU head last year but had no joy finding one, even on fleabay.

Mook

310 bhp is no problem with a k04 hybrid on its own. Rods are recommended though.

Cheers for that Willy. Should have added I'm changing the conrods and new shells all round.

That said, if I can get to 310 on a hybrid, then what could I sensibly expect to get to with the JBS manifold and a decent uprated inlet manifold? if it means I can get to 340-350 bhp/tonne, then so much the better.

DaveV6

Cheers for that Willy. Should have added I'm changing the conrods and new shells all round.

That said, if I can get to 310 on a hybrid, then what could I sensibly expect to get to with the JBS manifold and a decent uprated inlet manifold? if it means I can get to 340-350 bhp/tonne, then so much the better.

look mook stop arsin around throwin ya wonga away, cause whatever mods ya do , my rovas still gonna wupp yo ass next year out on track :D

jbs say up to 340 from their hybrid and manifold and i believe them because it all seems to add up to me.

Dave

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales

I've run the SEM intake mani on my hybrid setup and it certainly improves things and adds power BUT you need to factor in a custom remap, a r32 throttle body as only the genuine vag ones have the additional stepper motor posions for precise control and idling issues. Despite the gains i experienced and extra omph at high revs its tough to recommend it as an economical mod unless your running a bigger turbo (so higher gains) or as a final addition to complete your setup. At k04 hybrid power levels i felt my money is better spent on an exhaust mani and wmi. This isn't mean't to be negative and i didn't get my setup custom remapped to make full useage of the intake mani's benefits.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
look mook stop arsin around throwin ya wonga away, cause whatever mods ya do , my rovas still gonna wupp yo ass next year out on track :D

jbs say up to 340 from their hybrid and manifold and i believe them because it all seems to add up to me.

Dave

hmmm, time will tell
i remain skeptical on seeing these figures achieved on a DD set of rollers myself
fingers crossed tho, you never know

DaveV6

why bill?
mine and willys both make 300 + at 1.5 bar, another 0.3 bar is going to give 20-25 bhp so if the stock manifold is as restrictive as we think, then i would expect that to release another 15-20 bhp ....:think:

Dave

Mook

I've run the SEM intake mani on my hybrid setup and it certainly improves things and adds power BUT you need to factor in a custom remap, a r32 throttle body as only the genuine vag ones have the additional stepper motor posions for precise control and idling issues. Despite the gains i experienced and extra omph at high revs its tough to recommend it as an economical mod unless your running a bigger turbo (so higher gains) or as a final addition to complete your setup. At k04 hybrid power levels i felt my money is better spent on an exhaust mani and wmi. This isn't mean't to be negative and i didn't get my setup custom remapped to make full useage of the intake mani's benefits.

Cheers for the input Willy.

Custom remap's not a problem - I run a Emerald ECU (it's on a Mk2 Golf), so every aspect of the map is tweakable. JKM in Portsmouth are an Emerald reseller and have a rolling road so I can leave the car with them for a full day for not that much money to get the map set up to take full advantage of all the mods.

I'm not saying money's no object, otherwise I'd probably be looking at a bigger turbo, but I'm also looking to put on a JBS exhaust manifold. The car doesn't run (doesn't need!) a cat and has a full 2.5" Jetex exhaust and I run a Garrett intercooler and custom pipework. This was way over the top when I fitted it last year, but the plans were there then for what's happening next :D

If I can get to 300-310 with the JBS exhaust manifold, hybrid K04 and 550 injectors, I'll be happy. But, as seems to be the case without the JBS manifold, I can get over 300bhp as you and DaveV6 (who runs a reyland built BAM lump), then if adding a decent flowing inlet manifold (as Bill keeps saying, it's not just about boost, it's about airflow as well) and tweaking the map specifically for my set-up gives me around 325bhp, I'll be over the moon.

As for 340bhp with just a hybrid K04 and the JBS exhaust manifold - I think that's pushing it. Dave got 310bhp, but had it de-tuned to 300, but, even if the wick's turned back up again, I just can't see the JBS manifold giving an extra 30bhp.

I stand to be corrected though!

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
why bill?
mine and willys both make 300 + at 1.5 bar, another 0.3 bar is going to give 20-25 bhp so if the stock manifold is as restrictive as we think, then i would expect that to release another 15-20 bhp ....:think:

Dave

until i see it for myself on a DD dyno, i will remain skeptical...

i hope it does, dont get me wrong, but k04's fall short on DD rollers all to often, by quite a big margin.

higher flow manifold will help, but i would next question the k04's hotside flow capability.. as you will unlock more flow from the manifold, to then leave the next restriction.

interesting times ahead when the jbs and ina mani's come available

Mook

Nice problem to have though Bill :D

So do you go to the next stage up? Bigger turbo on top of the JBS exhuast manifold plus and SEM or RMR inlet manifold. Where's the next restriction after that?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.