ABF Thermostat

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Looking for a lower temp thermostat for my car.

What is the temp rating for the ABF thermostat and is there any lower temp thermostats avaiable in the VAG range?

I have found a Neuspeed thermostat for the Mk3 rated at 82 degrees C but what is the standard ABF, reading on Club GTi someone mentioned it's 80???

Someone shine some light on it for me please :)

Zero

Feb 11, 2005
original is 82°

you can easily make some three or four small holes (2mm) into original thermostat to keep the water temp a little longer on the blue side.

i hope you can see on pic

you can get some low temp therostats, for example on my g60 it was thermostat 75° with 4 holes (but just because of small watter radiator)

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Sound, 75°C sounds perfect for me... better than not having one at the moment.

Whats the engine code for the G60 lump?

Zero

Feb 11, 2005
G60 (PG) don´t have originally 75°, i have put them because of water temp problems.

must find partnumber for 75°

You can also get some 70° from VW, i think its passat ´81 with 827 block :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Why would you want to do this? Surely you're only worried about your car water temp going north of 100C (ish)

But you do want it nearly at that temperature... and so will your map, otherwise it'll just sit at cold start pissing fuel in.

If your car is overheating, once the water is in the rad fitting a cooler thermostat won't do anything useful. You need to improve the cooling effect of the rad, whether with a new OE on, or if yours is in good shape look at funnelling air to and from the cooler. like not blocking it with an oil cooler you could easily mount elsewhere.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Oil cooler isn't blocking much of the rad, I have an aluminium nissen rad which is a bit better for cooling than the normal oem one. I have had the water temp go just over half way out on track but he commented on the rollers that it was getting high so recommend one built (which I will in time) or do what he does on his race cars and thats remove the thermostat and that's what he did.

Getting the car warm while sitting there is no problem, it's when driving normal is the problem. So I just want a lower rated thermostat so it starts to cool a but earlier out on track.

Zero have you got the part number for the 75°C one?

Zero

Feb 11, 2005
well, i have bought 75° together with 80°/85° temp switch from web with number
056121113D75

i have also found VW number for 70°
068121113A

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
is the 75° one a VW part number or the number of the site you had it off? What's the site?

Thanks, fella

Edit: Copied and pasted that number into google came up with a load of german sites but find it's for a Passat 88-96 1.6 or 1.8 engine.... just need to find a UK site or the VW part number

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Dave, you're not thinking logically

You want the water to be 92C

You only want it to go to the rad when it gets warmer than that - otherwise your car will be in cold start.

Your 'race car builder' is not giving you good or sensible advise to remove the thermostat on a road car (or one he mapped to have a cold start)

I'll say it again, if your rad can't cope, look into that - but you need / want a decent thermostat... you car isn't overheating at 75C, so why push the water into the rad at 75C?

If your water temp is creeping up, with the rad full of hot water, while static & your fans aren't working enough, look into correcting that (bigger / more fans)

If you car is overheating on the road / track, you need a bigger rad

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
dont care about cheapest lol..... I thouhgt Saxon Motorsport gave it back to me but it isn't in the box but tbh if I was going to fit it I might as well get a new one.

So am I right to think the ABF is 92°C??? That web site says 92??????

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Dave, you're not thinking logically

You want the water to be 92C

You only want it to go to the rad when it gets warmer than that - otherwise your car will be in cold start.

Your 'race car builder' is not giving you good or sensible advise to remove the thermostat on a road car (or one he mapped to have a cold start)

I'll say it again, if your rad can't cope, look into that - but you need / want a decent thermostat... you car isn't overheating at 75C, so why push the water into the rad at 75C?

If your water temp is creeping up, with the rad full of hot water, while static & your fans aren't working enough, look into correcting that (bigger / more fans)

If you car is overheating on the road / track, you need a bigger rad

It's not over heating when it's sitting there, will get up to temp fine and stay at half way (90 odd I guess) and driving as long as I keep the rev's up it's fine just normal driving so the problem.

See what you mean tho, basically with a lower rated stat under normal driving I'm going to have the same problems as I'm having now.

Think I will email AH Fabrications now and get a price. Be giving UD a miss now I think! Rather get it all set up right asap.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
under normal driving the temps drop due to no thermostat and the rad doing it's job. Once I give it some beans the temps are fine. But if I'm driving normal say 3rd or 4th doing 30mph the temp will drop but if I do 30mph in 2nd with the rev's higher than it's fine.

So basically I want a thermostat there to stop it droping too low when driving normal but if come on earlier to cool the water when I'm giving it some beans or out on track.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Right

So what happens if you put the regular thermostat it, and go out on track / give it beans?

Here's what happens in my eyes

Water hits 92C, water flows from engine into the rad, rad does it's job (as stated above).

I don't think you need anything other than 'normal'

You don't need to reduce your water temps below 92C

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
well yea but after about 10mins of the session the water temp will high above the half way mark (have seen it get to 3/4's) and he commented when he was mapping it that the water temps raised a bit too easy but I guess now it's rev'in to 8k lol. I haven't taken it on track since I've had the bodies fitted of course.

I'm thinking it's time to get a alloy rad made up now! If temps were getting high before the bodies and rev'in to 7400rpm and now it's reving to 8000 with more power would make sense to upgrade the rad now!

Mork why do you have to make me think sense and spend more money!

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Keep your thermostat in, but go back to where I was at earlier, you either need to increase the capacity / efficiency of your rad, or direct air to & from it

There's a reason Stu & Rob have big aluminium coolers I imagine & both have spent time in directing air at those.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
can't really get more direct than ti already is, I have the air ducts in place to so not much more I can think of the oil cooler is pretty low down as well.

Both Stu and Rob had alloy ones made up and slighly smaller in height to make room for the throttle bodies and air boxes, spoken to stu about it before and he mentioned the alloy rad looks like it's my only option and the right one really!

Plus it gives me ideas for a airbox in future lol.

rather do it now because I will need to have the car corner weighted since all the mods I have done and if I leave the rad till after it will need corner weighting again, so rather do it now first as last. Was aiming for Ulimate Dubs but that's pushing it now and this rad will throw it out of the window now lol.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise