abs/tc/red caution light *URGENT ANSWER PLS*

peter206turbo

I picked up my new car on Monday, and im already having probs :censored:

Its a 01 Y plate Leon cupra 1.8 20v turbo

I was turning around on a mates driveway, in reverse on full lock, and a warning buzzer sounded, the abs light came on, along with the traction control light, and the flashing red caution light.

Spoken to the dealers and they cant even get it in to be looked at till towards the end of next month [:@]

I drove the car home last night (about 10miles), and again to work this morning (about 15miles) and the car seems to be fine, engines running fine, brakes work fine, and no strange noises or n e thing, just the warning lights being on

Im just wondering if its safe to be driving about till the garage can look at it, or if i should just book it into my local seat asap (even then its going to be Monday)

Is it safe to drive in the meantime, or could i be making the problem worse :confused:

Thanks for reading :)

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
I had similar xmas displays on my dash, all seems to point towards a MAF failure. If it is, the car over a period of time would start to run rougher and basically feel like an old dog. If you do a search on MAF FAILURE, im sure all will be revealed.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Empi5 said:
I had similar xmas displays on my dash, all seems to point towards a MAF failure. If it is, the car over a period of time would start to run rougher and basically feel like an old dog. If you do a search on MAF FAILURE, im sure all will be revealed.

I completely agree, (You mean orange warning light :confused: )

peter206turbo

These are the warning lights

warninglights-vi.jpg

The top ones flashing, the other 2 are constantly on all the time

What exactly is the MAF sensor, and what does it do???

Is it still ok to be driven in the mean time aslong as i take it gentle

Just spoke to the local seat and its booked in for monday, he seemed to think it would be a engine management issue, but he could'nt say for sure, he seemed to think it would be ok to drive in the meantime

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Yes m8 it is ok to drive, as long as its sorted soon. Replacement MAFS usually set u back around the £85 mark, but as you only had it Monday, i would expect the Garage to replace free, if not they should be.

MAF's are very fragile and do have a tendency to fail

peter206turbo

Yeah, its got a full 30day warrenty from the dealer, with a 30day no quibble moneyback guantee, and also a 2 year extended warrenty which covers most major parts

So i have no intention of paying to have it fixed, just wana check im not guna cause more damage in the meantime

Is it possible it could be something else then the MAF???

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
:confused: why would the MAF trigger ABS & TCS lights?

Pete - when you were reversing did you get any wheelspin at all? I had a do in the snow last year. Trying to manoeuvre in a car park, getting no traction, wheelspin all over the place. I got the same 3 lights. They stopped after a bit. I got the car checked out and it was fine.
I put it down to the ABS/TCS sensors confusing the ECU, ie. each wheel moving at a different rate, so it didn't know what the hell was going on.

I was told this was why you get the lights after an RR session. Front wheels spinning, rear wheels still, ECU thinks ABS is knackered and puts the lights on.

Get it checked out though, maybe reversing on full lock has knocked an ABS sensor or something.

peter206turbo

adaml said:
:confused: why would the MAF trigger ABS & TCS lights?

Thats exactly what i thought, i instantly presumed it was a dodgy abs sensor, and maybe being the full lock reversing on a bumpy drive had knocked a sensor/wiring in some way.

As for the wheel spin in reverse, nope i did'nt

As the engine warning light is not on (i dont think :confused: ) i dont see how it can be the MAF :confused:

peter206turbo

Right, just been speaking to a mate, and he has a VAG com cable + software to read any fault codes on my car, he reckons it should tell us exactly what the fault is

However, neither of us have n e idea where in the car/engine bay the port is to plug it it????

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
If the MAF is faulty, then no signal would be present, which would then send a fault code to the ECU, hence the Engine Management light appearing.

Mine is in the centre console, look underneath, where u store ur bits n bobs

peter206turbo

Empi5 said:
If the MAF is faulty, then no signal would be present, which would then send a fault code to the ECU, hence the Engine Management light appearing.

But my engine management light is'nt on is it :confused:

Still dont get why the abs/traction control lights are on then :confused:

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
A MAF fault definitly turns the TCS light on permanently. I think its related to the car not being able to calculate its torque output and therefore the TCS will not function properly.

peter206turbo

I've just unplugged the MAF (or atleast what i think the MAF is, the smallish multi plug just after the airbox), and the car runs perfectly with it both plugged in and un plugged

However all my warning lights are staying on just the same :(

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
They wont just go off. You have faults logged. The only thing that will get them to go off is clearing the codes or after X number of ignition cycles without the fault being there.

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
My lights just went off in a few minutes.

I'm no expert but I'd put money on it not being the MAF. Given the circumstances it happened, the experience I had, and the particular lights that are on, I would suspect ABS sensor.

peter206turbo

Well the MAF is a engine sensor yeah???

So why would that trigger a abs light???

It makes sence that its a abs fault, as the abs/traction control must be link???

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Empi5 said:
How much u wanna bet ?

I said I'd (I would) put money on it, not I will :whistle:

Seriously though, he's not reported any rough running or anything like that. Also there's no light on for the engine, just TCS/ABS. The evidence would lead me to check the ABS sensor first.

andycupra

status subject to change
MAF failure will put the ESP/TCS light on. (i know i know its not the most sensible light for the MAF, but believe me it does do this).
But it would NOT put on the ABS and/or handbrake light.

Therefore i would suspect strongly that this isnt a MAF problem.

Have you tried testing to see that the ABS is still working?

Mind you on the other hand have you checked anything to do with the brakes? like fluid levels etc?

reversing, full lock... could be something like ABS lead breaking or worse still sensor.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members