abt tuning

Tony Young

Feb 14, 2020
hi all. just ordered a new 1 for the wife to repalce her honda. we are based in new zealand and was wondering if anyone has tried the abt tuning upgrade. our dealer here didnt know anything about it so any info on dealers and pricing appreciated.

we have a 2 month delay on the copper wheels but otherwise waiting for delivery.

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
Had considered it but got scared off after reading through the "Cupra R ABT issues" thread on here so I'm looking at Revo or APR instead.

There's nothing lost from a warranty perspective as I would still forfeit SEATs due to the ABT being fitted aftermarket, ABTs own 2 yr/100,000km warranty isn't offered in the UK.

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
Coincidentally Autogefüel on youtube uploaded a video today about the ABT Ateca, buy the car then "send it off" to ABT, pay them €2000 for the tuning box.

NZ_Cupra

Jul 20, 2019
Firstly, welcome to another Kiwi on this forum, don’t think there are many of us on here. Maybe due to there not being many Cupra’s on the road here, I hardly seen any others driving around Auckland.

I doubt you will ever be able to get the ABT tune over here as we are just too far away and even if we do there wouldn’t be any warranty.

With regards to other options, you could look at either APR or Unitronic which I have done on my previous Golf R but you will have to expect to void the warranty with these. Even if you remove the flash they can still tell the ECU has previously been flashed. In saying that I had the Haldex controller fail in my Golf R when it was almost 4 years old so out of warranty and had the Unitronic ECU plus DSG Tune and Tristram still had it replaced under warranty, not sure what SEAT/Cupra would be like with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Young

Feb 14, 2020
Coincidentally Autogefüel on youtube uploaded a video today about the ABT Ateca, buy the car then "send it off" to ABT, pay them €2000 for the tuning box.
wow are they that expensive! this was the info i was after. might try tdi tuning box or a jb1/jb4 when we want a bit more.

Reactions: jimiC

Tony Young

Feb 14, 2020
Firstly, welcome to another Kiwi on this forum, don’t think there are many of us on here. Maybe due to there not being many Cupra’s on the road here, I hardly seen any others driving around Auckland.

I doubt you will ever be able to get the ABT tune over here as we are just too far away and even if we do there wouldn’t be any warranty.

With regards to other options, you could look at either APR or Unitronic which I have done on my previous Golf R but you will have to expect to void the warranty with these. Even if you remove the flash they can still tell the ECU has previously been flashed. In saying that I had the Haldex controller fail in my Golf R when it was almost 4 years old so out of warranty and had the Unitronic ECU plus DSG Tune and Tristram still had it replaced under warranty, not sure what SEAT/Cupra would be like with this.

we bought the silver demo from giltrap seat. found the service and pricing outstanding compared to armstrong mercedes and auckland bmw. wifey was going to buy her 5th honda (crv this time) and i asked her consider others. she was blown away by performance and dcc and full digital screens and really wanted the crystal black but it is hopeless trying to keep a car clean down here in dunedin when they put grit on the road all winter.

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
wow are they that expensive! this was the info i was after. might try tdi tuning box or a jb1/jb4 when we want a bit more.

yes the one featured had two upgrade stages; stage 1: tuning box (+50PS) €2000; stage 2 which was by his description just a spring lowering kit - €4000 but that figure seems high for just springs, it had 20" wheels too so maybe that's why he said it was €4k. There's an aero package also which wasn't fitted.

tbh it was getting a bit confusing when he was describing the packages and prices but my understanding, based on enquiries when I was looking at the ST R was that as a factory fitted option the ABT power upgrade would be a £500 addition but ~£2000 as an aftermarket purchase, ~£2k now confirmed by Autogefühl's upload.

Last edited:

Billyray911

Aug 12, 2018
yes the one featured had two upgrade stages; stage 1: tuning box (+50PS) €2000; stage 2 which was by his description just a spring lowering kit - €4000 but that figure seems high for just springs, it had 20" wheels too so maybe that's why he said it was €4k. There's an aero package also which wasn't fitted.

tbh it was getting a bit confusing when he was describing the packages and prices but my understanding, based on enquiries when I was looking at the ST R was that as a factory fitted option the ABT power upgrade would be a £500 addition but ~£2000 as an aftermarket purchase, ~£2k now confirmed by Autogefühl's upload.

I was getting a bit confused too, but if that is the final word 2k is crazy expensive for what you are getting.
Its a shame, as I would be happy to pay a little extra to get an intact warranty.However,from comments on here that the warranty wouldn’t be extended to cover the map in the UK and the pricing;the JB4 and such like is always going to win.
I’m new to SEAT,so just finding my feet as to what’s out there.

Tony Young

Feb 14, 2020
not so sure wife needs a jb4 now (maybe in 6 more months) as just done a day at the drags and she done a 13.1 with 2 ppl and 1/2 tank of fuel. certanily got the attention of a few people as 4 people came over to ask questions what the hell is that?

BoyRacer

SUV time!
Aug 5, 2016
Just wondered if anyone had any real time 0-60mph or 0-100km figures instead of the quoted ones?

Feb 22, 2020
Hello

Another Aucklanders here... After lockdown I spoke to a couple of tuners and I went with an APR tune, it’s definitely made it better with fuel and given me more torque. Looking forward to making a few other little changes

Tony Young

Feb 14, 2020
How much did the apr tune cost and who supplied It? I recently just got a jb4 with Bluetooth connection and a turbo inlet pipe. Timed with me and my son on board with full tank of 98oct at 4.6sec 0-100 averaged over 3 runs and on Saturday had it on the dyno at 231kw atw. Very happy with performance upgrade and want to confirm down the 1/4 mile but was cancelled due to covid.

Reactions: Cupra Shadow
Feb 22, 2020
I got the tune in July with the end of year APR sale via HSP tuning. Only run 98 and waiting for the lockdown to clear to see the dyno results.

Pre-lockdown did one pass on quarter mile stock and got a 13.40.

Feb 22, 2020
Just be aware that APR are no longer offering Stage 2 tunes due to some US lawsuit.

Yes thanks, I’m aware of this the dealer explained this was happening and why, makes complete sense. If I do decide to go further then there could be other options.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.