Adding 17" alloys

Zappa

Mar 19, 2010
Another question, lol..

Anyone know of good place to get a nice set of alloys for reasonably cheap?

I don't think I could bring myself to handing over 600/700 quid for rims but I always wanted a nice set of 17s.

Does putting 17s on the car affect your insurance price a lot?

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
eBay your best bet or potn.co.uk try wheel*****s.com they have a uk forum with loads for sale
you want vag ones or aftermarket?

Insurance depends on your age tbh mate

Zappa

Mar 19, 2010
I love the style of the ones in the banner, also like big wide open ones, even 5 spokes.

what are vag and aftermarket?

just turned 25 so should have cheaper rates next October when I renew.

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
Vag is Volkswagen Audi group basically what comes as standard on Audi, volkswagen, seat, skoda sort of thing but on a different model of car and after Market are things like team dynamics wheels, inovit wheels things like that, that won't come standard fit on cars :)

Check out that wheelwh0res.com ( replace the zero with and o) website I Found loads of bargains on there.

At your age I highly doubt it will cost alot, plus if your renewing you might get a discount for another years no claims so won't cost you nothing lol. I'm 19 and the bbs' I'm adding will cost me 50 quid to add to the policy which is nothing tbh

Last edited:

Zappa

Mar 19, 2010
I am after a set which are easy to keep clean. I'm not a huge fan of rims with loads of spokes really, as the grime can be hard to at.

I'd definitely not want to spend anymore than £400, and thats ideally with tyres included.

I just polished the car today and it looked so nice, I want to get a real ncie set for the summer!

Open to suggestions or sales..

Zappa

Mar 19, 2010
Yes mate, VAG wheels for sure, the sizes is one thing I wanted to ask - 17" is the max you can get on?

5x100, is that tyre sizes?

I've pasted the response I gave in another thread since these questions get asked a lot! Should be all the info about wheels you need to know when buying:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PCD
The PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) is the arrangement of the studs/bolt pattern on the hub:

So as said you'll need 5(studs) x 100mm diameter (how far the studs are from the centre of the hub)

If the wheel has a different PCD you can buy an adapter kit (which will also act as a spacer)

Offset (ET)
Now the Offset for the standard wheels are ET37 IIRC?? but it's usually acceptable to got 5-7mm either way of this (depending on width)

If you Reduce the Offset (Say ET37-ET30) you are moving the wheel 7mm further towards the wheel arch of the car and can get rubbing etc
Conversely if you go (Say ET37 - ET40) then you are moving the wheel 3mm further into the wheel arch and can risk fouling the suspension strut/brake caliper (to counter this you can use spacers)

If you get wider wheels, ie moving from a 7J to 8J (7" - J is a denomination of the Wheel profile and determines what type of tyre it can take) you may need to alter the offset to move it further out/in from the hub depending if it's a deep dish (and may foul the arch) or not so deep and foul the strut... but that depends

Spigot diameter
Another thing to consider is the spigot diameter - if the spigot size is larger than your current spigot size then you will need a spigot ring tio stop all the stress being placed on your wheel studs (which can shear if this is the case!)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.