Advice on engine issues pleaseee

oscar13

Nov 17, 2014
SO...
I have a mk1 cupra 1.8t AUQ on 151k miles.. It has 2.5 inch boost pipes with the welly cooler, 2.5 inch milltek cat back with and unbranded downpipe and decat. Has a catch can and stage 1 map.
My turbo is on its way out and my cambelt and water pump need doing, my OEM TIP is broken too.

I would like peoples opinions on what to do as I an undecided.

My options:
Replace turbo and cambelt with standard
Replace turbo for KO3S hybrid and injectors to suit and port the manifold, and replace cambelt
Replace engine? with replacement turbo

Get new car...

The latter is seeming like less of a headache but spent a lot of time and effort to get the car to where it is now..
Thanks in advance,
Oscar

Raffin

Jan 18, 2014
Manchester
Totally depends on how much money and effort you've put in to it, mate. The latter would seem like the easiest option, but you could possibly regret it and run into more problems with a new car.
Why are you considering changing the engine? Because of the mileage?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

oscar13

Nov 17, 2014
yep because of the engine, ive had it since november 2014, put about 20k on it, serviced regular and done a couple open pit lane track days, just dont want to go and do the work to get it back on the road running more power and bend a rod etc.
ive probably sunk about 1500/1750 in it since ive owned it but thats including service items tyres etc

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
If you can do the work your self then I would cambelt kit is fairly cheap as in a used turbo but if you're planning to pay someone Personally I'd sell the car it's not worth that kind of investment and you wont see it back when selling it.

oscar13

Nov 17, 2014
yeh will be doing the work myself. 6 years in the trade just annoying ive started a new job last two months where i dont have ability to work on my car on the lifts...

ill have to price up the bits needed and go from there i guess :/

Raffin

Jan 18, 2014
Manchester
If you've looked after the engine and maintained it regularly I wouldnt worry about throwing a rod too much. You can always get some forged ones, too.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Better the devil you know, unless you want to upgrade if you use the money you get from the sale you're just going to end up buying another car with more potential issues

Cambelt change is no easier on a lift tbh other than removing the wheel arch trim pretty much all at ground level turbo now that's always good fun on the floor lol

oscar13

Nov 17, 2014
cool, someone has said about fitting a ko4 instead of a 3s?
are these straight swap? i already have a ko4 tip (bought wrong) so would just need the maf and turbo i guess?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
It's worthless in its current state so personally I'd just get a new KO3s, do the cambelt and replace the TIP.

You're on the way to stage 2 anyway