Advice on water pump - NOW FIXED

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
Basically i was on my way home from work and just turned a corner, when i started to accelerate there was no boost from the turbo and i noticed the temp gauge was between 90 and 120. Pulled in, cooled down and carried on. When i searched the forum i found loads with the same symptoms, so i'm guessing water pump. What i'm wanting to know is if the water pump gets changed under warranty do they HAVE to replace cam belt with new one or are they supposed to just put the old one back on. I'ts due to get replaced next year and if they don't HAVE to replace the belt with a new one i will buy one for them to replace it with. I've had bad experiences with the dealers before and don't trust them. I bought the car from phoenix which is not a Seat dealer and i'm wanting to get Arnold Clark Seat to do the work but Phoenix have to approve the parts and work to be carried out.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
If the belt is 1 year off needing replacing it would be unreasonable to expect the pump to be changed without the belt so they should cover it. Is it a proper warranty or just because its onbly recently been purchased?

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
No they do not have to change the cambelt, as the cambelt is a wear and tear part and is in your servicing. You could buy a cambelt and get them to fit it instead of the old one so wouldn't cost you much more

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
No they do not have to change the cambelt, as the cambelt is a wear and tear part and is in your servicing. You could buy a cambelt and get them to fit it instead of the old one so wouldn't cost you much more

The cambelt is a wear and tear part but also part of replacing the water pump, it does depend how they look at it and what stance they take but either way I wouldnt imagine they would stretch to any of the pulleys or anything.

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
If the belt is 1 year off needing replacing it would be unreasonable to expect the pump to be changed without the belt so they should cover it. Is it a proper warranty or just because its onbly recently been purchased?

Yes its a proper 3 year warranty, i've had the car for a year last week. I phoned today to see if i could get a seat dealer to do the work as the franchise i bought the car from doesn't have a seat dealership so i will find out tomorrow when they fone me back. If i can't i will just need to get them to do it. When i was on the fone to the service manager he said the belt IS NOT covered so i suggested i buy the belt and tensioner and he said that would be fine and there would be no charge for fitting it.:D
So it looks like the warranty was well worth getting as it cost me just slightly more than what i would pay to get the cambelt done next year.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
The cambelt is a wear and tear part but also part of replacing the water pump, it does depend how they look at it and what stance they take but either way I wouldnt imagine they would stretch to any of the pulleys or anything.

Warranty never ever covers wear and tear parts so even if they have to take it off as part of it it doesn't matter, however if you buy a new one for them to put back on then the fee for fitting isn't there because they would be doing it anyway. A faulty water pump wouldn't cause extra wear on the cambelt so they wouldn't replace it.

e.g. if a brake caliper was faulty in some way and didn't cause damage to the discs and pads they wouldn't just replace your discs and pads because they happen to take them out to change the caliper

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
Warranty never ever covers wear and tear parts so even if they have to take it off as part of it it doesn't matter, however if you buy a new one for them to put back on then the fee for fitting isn't there because they would be doing it anyway. A faulty water pump wouldn't cause extra wear on the cambelt so they wouldn't replace it.

e.g. if a brake caliper was faulty in some way and didn't cause damage to the discs and pads they wouldn't just replace your discs and pads because they happen to take them out to change the caliper

I think you miss my point mate, refitting a cam belt that has been in use for so long could cause it to fail prematurely.
If a main bearing shell or something failed filling the oil with metal debris would they sieve it out and re use the old oil with oil being a service item?
I know that extended warranties dont cover service items but where it can be considered part of the repair they do, it would just depend whether they deem it a necessary part of the repair.

A faulty water pump wouldn't cause extra wear on the cambelt so they wouldn't replace it.

How can you determine that if you don't know how his water pump has failed, if the bearing has gone and the water pump pulley is flapping about then it could cause damage to the belt, also it would then probably throw coolant all over the belt which would definitely cause damage to the belt.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
you'd be hard pushed to get some warranty companies to pay for the investigation and refilling the coolant let alone the belt sadly. We have to deal with one that won't pay for new seals and a regas on aircon warranty ?? amazing to be honest

all in the small print though as they say

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
you'd be hard pushed to get some warranty companies to pay for the investigation and refilling the coolant let alone the belt sadly. We have to deal with one that won't pay for new seals and a regas on aircon warranty ?? amazing to be honest

all in the small print though as they say

Well yes obviously some companies idea of what is a necessary part of the repair can differ quite a lot.

We don't see that many cars with 3rd party warranties really as they won't pay our labour rate, the ones we do see are agro. Heck even BMW's dealer warranty is enough of a pain and the manufacturers warranty is going the same way

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Got my car back today and yes it was the water pump. The impellor had cracked and it wasn't spinning therefore no water pumping around the engine. Got the repair done under warranty and the garage also fitted my new timing belt kit, all i had to pay was 85 for the timing belt kit.

So there is no need to be driving like a granny anymore. :drive1:

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Got my car back today and yes it was the water pump. The impellor had cracked and it wasn't spinning therefore no water pumping around the engine. Got the repair done under warranty and the garage also fitted my new timing belt kit, all i had to pay was 85 for the timing belt kit.

So there is no need to be driving like a granny anymore. :drive1:

£85.00, that seems expensive.
I'd always have these changed as a pair anyway.
I was told when I had my cambelt changed, that it wasn't necessary to change the waterpump.
But insisted it was changed.
Had a waterpump seize in my Calibra, 3 moths after the cambelt was changed. Cost me £1500 for the repair.

Moral of the story for a little extra cost you get piece of mind, and importantly a warranty.

andycupra

status subject to change
£85 is fine as i expect it was the full kit.

some cheaper kits are not complete.

IMO it was unlikely that the warranty would cover the belt, in fact most warranties dont even cover secondary damage.. by secondary i mean if a part failing leads to other parts becoming damaged. Which is fairly common!

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
£85 is fine as i expect it was the full kit.

some cheaper kits are not complete.

IMO it was unlikely that the warranty would cover the belt, in fact most warranties dont even cover secondary damage.. by secondary i mean if a part failing leads to other parts becoming damaged. Which is fairly common!

Yes it was the full kit including belt, tensioner and small roller.
The warranty covered diagnosing the fault, replacing the water pump and new coolant.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members