Aerial

terrymcg

Apr 27, 2007
I changed mine to the one I took off my R32 when I sold it. It is a fin with the whip coming out of it. It has the FM,GPS and GSM all built into the fin. Really simple job, except all the VW fins use Fakra connections and the Leon's existing FM connections is not Fakra, so you need to chop it of and put a white fakra on the end of the existing coax. I can post up some pics in the morning if anyones interested.

Terry

terrymcg

Apr 27, 2007
As requested guys here are some pics of the genuine VW sharksfin with FM whip fitted:

CIMG1075.jpg

CIMG1078.jpg

CIMG1077.jpg

And the reasons for me doing this are as follows, you wont get a reception like this from a GPS hockey puck style retrofit antenna(I get this signal all the time pretty much anywhere in UK):

CIMG1083.jpg

Also if you have premium bluetooth, you will not get a signal like this all the time from the cheapo retrofit chinese antennas that most sellers provide with the kit(Again this signal strength is pretty much constant):

CIMG1088.jpg

terrymcg

Apr 27, 2007
You drop the rear of the headliner and there is a 17mm nut on the underside that you undo.

You then need to route 2 seperate RG174 coax's from the head unit and bluetooth module to the undersde of the aerial(Only one Coax if you are just doing the GPS) and place a femal Fakra connector of the correct colour on either end.

Oh and as for the route you go from the dash, along the sill panels, into the side panel in the boot and up the c pillar into the roof.

FR_Flavoured

You drop the rear of the headliner and there is a 17mm nut on the underside that you undo.

You then need to route 2 seperate RG174 coax's from the head unit and bluetooth module to the undersde of the aerial(Only one Coax if you are just doing the GPS) and place a femal Fakra connector of the correct colour on either end.

Oh and as for the route you go from the dash, along the sill panels, into the side panel in the boot and up the c pillar into the roof.

Sounds easy in theory, but what are the steps to dropping the rear portion of the headliner?
(do pieces of trim need to be removed, or do clips secure it underneath, so just needs a good pull).

Very nice setup, I'd like a similar headunit in mine. :)

Boosh

Mar 19, 2010
Salisbury
so you need to chop it of and put a white fakra on the end of the existing coax
Hi, my aftermarket aerial has a male Din connector, not compatible -obviously- with the OEM Fakra. Is it actually possible to bodge the new coax on the old connector?
Thanks for helping out, and sorry if I 'thread-jacked'
Boosh.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise