After market head unit question (not the usual)

rickisgrate

No idea how a turbo works
Oct 4, 2007
ayrshire
Another one. Before anyone sais use a search ive already tried and cant find what im looking for so here goes.
Im putting my alpine head unit in my cupra at the weekend, its going in the centre console just under the original stereo, my mate at works making all the brackets up tonight plus a facia panel so it looks good so what i need to know is:

Do i just unplug the original stereo extend the wires and job done or is it a case of making up a whole new loom? Are the plugs on the back on the original stereo the usual iso plugs?

Will the climate control still work ok?

Will my new stereo still work the same as my old one i.e ignition on stereo comes on, then ignition off key out and it switches off or will it have to be switched on and off manually.

And finally how do i get behind the original stereo to get to the wiring?

Mat

getting behind original stereo is easy enough, unscrew the face plate (2 screws at bottom) and pull that off. There are then 4 screws holding the Unit in place behind it. As for the rest, i'll let someone else answer, but im 99% sure you would just extend the wires and stuff should just work as it does now

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
You will have to either bridge off the original wires or hard wire it in separatly as if you disconnect the power supply to th standard HU you will lose all control of the heaters and have no display. You can disconnect and use the speaker connector tho

rickisgrate

Oct 4, 2007
ayrshire
so i can simply plug in the speaker connector, would i just need to bridge connections off the positive live, switched live and the negative?

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
Best bet if its going in the centre consol anyway would be to bridge the power off of the fag lighter. From the alpine loom you need to connect the red and yellow together which will be your power supply and then the black as your earth.

And you can extend your speaker plug to fit into the original one

rickisgrate

Oct 4, 2007
ayrshire
but i want the stereo to switch on and off with the ignition as the original one does and the cig lighter is permanently live so would it not be easier to just use the original stereo wiring?

rickisgrate

Oct 4, 2007
ayrshire
im lost, surely if i use the original wires going into the back of the radio just now my alpine would work the same as the original hu i.e key in ignition on stereo comes on, ignition off stereo stays on, remove key stereo goes off

rickisgrate

Oct 4, 2007
ayrshire
still in production im afraid, found the best way to fit is using a stereo slot out of a vauxhall calibra it fits perfectly, in the midst of making up a loom just now

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
i know in halfords they do a kits fo mounting a hu like under a dash and other places. was thinking of getting this as it is the standard shape and then just modify the console to accept it. then with a bit of fibre glassing and then bobs your uncle. i know its alot harder than that but will give it a go

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.