aftermarket head unit

si-gti

basically got an alpine head unit with ipod connection in my current car. was wondering how easy it would be to fit to a LCR without looking like crap.

also would the CD changer be compatible with an aftermakret head unit?

cheers,

Si

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
Dead easy, you just need an adapter plate:

14cd_1.JPG

I got mine from eBay for £6 posted and it looks very OEM.

One thing you'll need to do is swap the red and yellow power wires (permanent and switched live). On my Alpine HU there are bullet connectors for this so it's very easy.

I'm not sure about the CD changer, sorry.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
just need the end trims to fill the gaps in otherwise a standard DIN unti will fit in as quite a few have done it

there are some converters (connect2?) that will adapt the cd changer but usually the other way round

hang about though someone here migh have had the same head unit

si-gti

cheers guys. mine is the Alpine iDA-X001. it has no CD function so having the CD changer would be a bonus :)

J0N

Defected!
I've got an Alpine CDE-9850Ri head unit with iPod connection and it looks fine, especially when illumunated red. You will need a facia plate and swap the red and yellow wires over, (both of which have been mentioned above). I had to sack the 6 disc changer though!

si-gti

kool, forgot you could change the colour :p

really want the changer tho....

Bosher

didn't need to swap over the red/yellow wires when i fitted my Alpine HU.. holds station and other settings in memory fine... only thing is the display dim doesn't work with the lights on... ho hum

Drilled a hole in the back of the glovebox 4 the Ipod cable, what the chavs can't see they don't wanna nick...

Gotta say the standard Leon speakers sound surprisingly good... don't think I'll bother swapping them out or fit my sub.

Last edited:

pemps

didn't need to swap over the red/yellow wires when i fitted my Alpine HU.. holds station and other settings in memory fine... only thing is the display dim doesn't work with the lights on... ho hum

Drilled a hole in the back of the glovebox 4 the Ipod cable, what the chavs can't see they don't wanna nick...

Gotta say the standard Leon speakers sound surprisingly good... don't think I'll bother swapping them out or fit my sub.

I had this setup in my last car and had intended to do this in my Leon but it looks as though the cd changer is an integral part of the glove box. Is it easy to get the interchanger out?

pemps

yeah its just a few screws...but then you kinda have a gaping gap!

fiberglass time i think!

Not that I intend to fill my glove box with maps, gloves etc, but it would be nice if the cd changer wasn't there. It takes up way too much room.

J0N

Defected!

792050000139.jpg

Managed to get my 30gb iPod Video in the ash-tray. Keeps it hidden and it does'nt rattle about. The Leon speakers do sound OK but I miss the sub I had in my last car.

dirtysac

Mar 2, 2008
Yorkshire
I have an Alpine in mine also with Ipod connector in the glove box - the nano doesn't rattle about as it has a silicone case and a little bit of velcro.

Sold original on ebay along with auto changer, who needs one when you can fit 1000's of songs on an ipod and memory stick.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members