2015 MMI Screen Pixellation - Screen or Head Unit issue?

Jan 8, 2024
Hi all. My son just bought a nice little 2015 Leon 1.2TSi, but it has an issue with the Multimedia screen looking all pixelated.

We initially thought it might be the screen (as the screen would also freeze a few seconds after reboot), but having played with the unit a bit, and seeing that the boot screen itself looks absolutely fine, we're wondering if it's the head unit itself.

Someone we spoke with reckoned it could be a faulty graphics chipset in the head unit. Has anyone else experienced this before?

If it *is* the head unit, what unit should we be looking to replace it with? Are there any upgrades to be had? It is a late 2015 MIB2 unit.

EDIT: We have OBDeleven Pro, and have already unlocked the FullLink, but haven't got CarPlay working yet (maybe need a new USB socket?)

Attachments

• 01_Bootscreen.png
    01_Bootscreen.png
    513.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 02_Menu_Screen.png
    02_Menu_Screen.png
    697.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 03_List_Screen.png
    03_List_Screen.png
    588.5 KB · Views: 71
Hi all. My son just bought a nice little 2015 Leon 1.2TSi, but it has an issue with the Multimedia screen looking all pixelated.

We initially thought it might be the screen (as the screen would also freeze a few seconds after reboot), but having played with the unit a bit, and seeing that the boot screen itself looks absolutely fine, we're wondering if it's the head unit itself.

Someone we spoke with reckoned it could be a faulty graphics chipset in the head unit. Has anyone else experienced this before?

If it *is* the head unit, what unit should we be looking to replace it with? Are there any upgrades to be had? It is a late 2015 MIB2 unit.

EDIT: We have OBDeleven Pro, and have already unlocked the FullLink, but haven't got CarPlay working yet (maybe need a new USB socket?)
Yes, you need a new usb for carplay

The unit is on 02xx software, old as hell - hence why it says appgrade instead of Full Link

We'd be happy to take a look at the display and glovebox infotainment unit if you want to travel to/send it to us

Reactions: Mad4F1
Jan 8, 2024
Yes, you need a new usb for carplay

The unit is on 02xx software, old as hell - hence why it says appgrade instead of Full Link

We'd be happy to take a look at the display and glovebox infotainment unit if you want to travel to/send it to us

Thanks for your reply (sorry, I didn't get a notification!)!

I'll order one of the new USB sockets from your website.

About software version, I had already updated from 0241 to 0245. I didn't know whether you could upgrade an 02xx to an 03xx or 04xx. Also, I'm not sure which version does what. I noticed that some of the latest versions have tiled buttons rather than a spinny menu?

Regarding the display/head unit issue, you're a bit too far from us to bring it to you. Would it be repairable? Or would we be better off buying another known working unit from ebay? I just wasn't 100% sure whether it's the screen or the head unit?

Jul 2, 2021
Manchester, UK
Did you end up figuring out what the issue was? I also have a similar issue with my head unit, its really bad. For me its 100% the head unit, i tested another head unit in this exact same setup and it worked perfect, also.. when the head unit is starting up for the first time, my seat emblem isnt pixelated, that tells me the screen is perfectly fine
IMG_8009.jpeg

Thanks for your reply (sorry, I didn't get a notification!)!

I'll order one of the new USB sockets from your website.

About software version, I had already updated from 0241 to 0245. I didn't know whether you could upgrade an 02xx to an 03xx or 04xx. Also, I'm not sure which version does what. I noticed that some of the latest versions have tiled buttons rather than a spinny menu?

Regarding the display/head unit issue, you're a bit too far from us to bring it to you. Would it be repairable? Or would we be better off buying another known working unit from ebay? I just wasn't 100% sure whether it's the screen or the head unit?
0253 is the latest for your unit. Alternatively we can update it to 0480/0516 depending on your display size

Jul 2, 2021
Manchester, UK
Did you end up figuring out what the issue was? I also have a similar issue with my head unit, its really bad. For me its 100% the head unit, i tested another head unit in this exact same setup and it worked perfect, also.. when the head unit is starting up for the first time, my seat emblem isnt pixelated, that tells me the screen is perfectly fine View attachment 40358
@East Yorkshire Retrofits do you have any experience with repairing MIB units? Like what i have here?

The screen is only fuzzy on parts of the screen that is selectable, for example in a settings menu where there is only 2 choices, only that part of the screen is fuzzy but you can see in the image the rest is fine…

This makes me think some sort of weird option from the Green Engineering Menu has been selected but im not sure

Attachments

• IMG_8015.jpeg
    IMG_8015.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8012.jpeg
    IMG_8012.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 29
Jan 8, 2024
Did you end up figuring out what the issue was?
Yes, we did. It *was* the head unit! Luckily, we managed to find a mint screen/head-unit set up for what it would cost for just the head unit. We tried the screen only... no difference. We then tried the head unit... BINGO!

For me its 100% the head unit, i tested another head unit in this exact same setup and it worked perfect, also.. when the head unit is starting up for the first time, my seat emblem isnt pixelated, that tells me the screen is perfectly fine

Yeah, the other clue for us is that CarPlay displayed a lot better than the native Seat menus. So that too pointed to it being the head unit (maybe CarPlay uses your phone's GPU for rendering all the content. I had sourced the right USB socket from @East Yorkshire Retrofits (see here: https://eastyorkshireretrofits.co.u...roducts/seat-vw-full-link-compatible-usb-port ) and that got CarPlay going.

Anyway, I had to unlock the replacement head unit (using the mib-std2-pqzr-toolbox), and then reinstalled all of our previous codes (using OBDEleven), and everything is now working. The boy is happy!

@East Yorkshire Retrofits do you have any experience with repairing MIB units? Like what i have here?

The screen is only fuzzy on parts of the screen that is selectable, for example in a settings menu where there is only 2 choices, only that part of the screen is fuzzy but you can see in the image the rest is fine…

This makes me think some sort of weird option from the Green Engineering Menu has been selected but im not sure
We wouldn't repair that however we have a few companies who would likely take a look for you

It's hardware failure 🥲

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise