Aftermarket Suspension

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
Folks,
looking at changing my suspension and here rave reviews about the Koni FSD kit when coupled with Eibach springs, this is mainly MK5 GTi owners.
does anyone here have any coilover / suspension kits fitted to their leons and how do they rate them over the OEM setup?
my tuner has fitted the full Eibach springs&shocks with front & rear roll bars and recommends them.
also if you have dropped the Leon how much by thinking of 40mm, lot of speed bumps my way:ban: any info would be appreciated.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Hi Kieth.

Ok, i have the Eibach Pro street S Coilovers. They are basically Eibach Springs with KW Branded dampers. So a good quality product.

I also have the H&R stiffer version anti roll bars front and rear.
First of all, the ARB reduces body roll alot. Which I find great. But m akes the car very bumpy. As it stiffens the car up alot. I like it, and its great for the track.

Regarding the coilovers, im not too sure how different it is as I went from standard suspension to Eibach springs only. (30mm pro kit). This gave a simalar ride which was nice.

The coilovers ride isnt harsh at all, just as comfort as the standard setup on the sport. I think most people would say its miles better, but I never notice these things myself :)

Im not sure how low it actually is as im not sure how you can tell, is a new suspension setup so what do you compare it with. If you want i can measure the gap between the wheel arces and the side jacking point if you want to compare with yours.

Ride hieght, I got it lowered quiet alot, buy had to get it raised nearly a centimetre.
Basically, the plastic bit under the front of the engine scrapes the middle of the road type lump speed humps. just means you cant over over the middle of them. With more weight in the car this is obviously worse.

The only other problem is if you going round a corner fast something under the wheel arch scrapes the wheel (I havent really checked to see yet what it is!).

this is the car at the moment, with problems as above.

2.jpg

might not look that low but it sure is! Normal jacks dont fit under it! The in car one does though!! The front bumper isnt too low either.

hope this helps a bit. :)

Last edited:

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
cheers Dan, the car currently has 18" wheels so looking to go 40mm tops when i lower it, ARB's maybe on the list too, with the front do you need to drop the front subframe when fitting the arb's?

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Fantastic set up with the FSD`s
We have these on our Mk5 Golf
The handling is loads better and very very smooth on lovely long roads , and dont feel all them nasty bumps in the road

There is a GB on at the moment , so could be worth checking it out soon and get in on the GB
Sarah

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
Had FSDs fitted to my TFSI FR, about £500 parts & fitting, kept standard coils. JKM at portmsouth did a fantastic job.

Ride comfort is about 20% better and handling over rough roads about 50% better, with improved traction (before it would wheelspin after going over a bump, like the wheels didn't get back to the road quickly enough).

I have a 1.6 Leon courtesy car while my alarms being fixed, and the ride is much worse than my FR since fitting the FSDs.

Heard good reports of FSDs+Eibach combo also, but would probably be firmer.

Interestingly the std shocks that came off were Sachs Gas ones.

I'm also wondering if fitting MkV GTI springs would improve ride & rough road handling still further.

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
Dan you can tell what size springs you have by checking the colour of them Eibach 30mm drop are black, 60mm drop are red.
I have opted for the Koni FSD kit with Eibach pro springs 30mm, getting them fitted in March.

Eddy Gein

Jan 23, 2007
Where are you getting them from because thats the setup i was thinking of for my fr tdi. will it be ok with 19's you think?

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
got this from Star Performance - Fife/Scotland, Koni FSD with Eibach Pro spring kit incl fitting roughly 3hrs and wheel allignment £750.
dows anyone know the suspension arm size for the FR Tdi is it 50 or 55mm ?? or part no, need to get it for the right kit.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Dan you can tell what size springs you have by checking the colour of them Eibach 30mm drop are black, 60mm drop are red.
I have opted for the Koni FSD kit with Eibach pro springs 30mm, getting them fitted in March.

The pro-kit was black, and the coilovers have red springs.

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
got this from Star Performance - Fife/Scotland, Koni FSD with Eibach Pro spring kit incl fitting roughly 3hrs and wheel allignment £750.
dows anyone know the suspension arm size for the FR Tdi is it 50 or 55mm ?? or part no, need to get it for the right kit.
My July 06 FR TFSI was the 55mm diameter - your garage should be able to tell you based on your chassis number (JKM in Portsmouth looked mine up).

I think I paid about 3 hours labour also (for dampers only, but doesn't take much longer to do springs while it's all apart).

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
heres a car dropped by 40mm on Eibach springs and dampers(the black leon)

i am going for the Koni FSD with Eibach springs.30mm drop
the arms are 55mm for anyone interested.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise