Air conditioning pressure switch and fix

blankton

Jun 24, 2022
I've just managed to fix my air conditioning, couldn't find much info about the location of the pressure switch, so I thought I'd post up a thread. It's a 2.0l diesel estate model.

Since I brought my car the air con hasn't worked. The "econ" setting was permanently engaged, even if I try to select "auto" it toggled back to econ.

I took it to be regassed, and much to my surprise it actually had the right amount of gas in it, however it was throwing up a high pressure fault code.

This suggests it was the ac pressure switch. I couldn't find much info on the location, but on an audi a4 they were behind the headlight. Some people said you needed to remove the bumper, but I managed to get the headlight out without that (although my bumper does have a bit of damage, so maybe that helped).

I forgot to take a before shot, but the three torx screws under the arrows hold the headlight in.

The circled screw is for the bumper, I loosened the 3 on top of the. Grill to give a bit of play and the whole unit came out.
IMG-20220714-080632.jpg

With the unit out the pressure switch is easy to locate.
IMG-20220714-080522.jpg

If you've not done one before the plug comes off and the silver bit unscrews. There's a kind of bayonet arrangement, so you don't loose your gas. Seal is via a little o ring.

The only negative to the story was the cost of the switch. The only place open was ecp. The switch on their website was £36. However, they didn't have that one and sold me an alternative for £66. Even though it was the same make, they wouldn't discount it down. I probably should have just ordered a £10 job from amazon, but it's a bit uncomfortable without ac at the moment!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.