Air Conditioning

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
Chaps,

Looking for a bit of your collective experience.

The cooling setting on my air con (70 plate cupra) is very weak. It has been since I picked it up. For obvious reasons, its particularly noticable when we have warm weather - The car never seems to get cool.

Whats your thoughts on your own?

My comparison is with previous vehicles and my wifes Focus which after a few minutes is ice cold.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Air on recycle? Helps the unit then cooling cooler air. Is there a setting in the menu for the a/c from weak to strong?

Reactions: 2Stevo2

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Have you checked what your driver profile is set to? You may have the Aircon set to eco mode, which afaik doesn't actually engage the compressor, just ramps the fans up and tries to use the ambient air.

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
Have you checked what your driver profile is set to? You may have the Aircon set to eco mode, which afaik doesn't actually engage the compressor, just ramps the fans up and tries to use the ambient air.
I did check that this morning afyer it popped into my head but it was set as normal (Only options being "Eco" or "Normal".

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
I did have a play about with the Air Con settings and came across this botton with the wavey lines over to the right...
20210629_201341.jpg

After pressing it, it came up with the following three options....
20210629_201346.jpg

I changed it from Medium to High.

What does that actually do? Couldnt feel an immediate difference but didnt give it much time to kick in to be fair.

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
That's just adjusting the fan speed (on the left hand side you can see you have it in manual mode).

You should have a profile button on the dash above the climate controls (on the left next to your hazards switch). In a Cupra it has the flag icon on it, in everything else it has a P on it - should have the start/stop activation button and PDC buttons alongside

This lets you change your driver profile - which sets steering feel, accelerator response, and climate control for some reason. You need to press it and make sure it's not set to Eco, or that the mode your using (like individual) hasn't defaulted to A/C in eco mode.

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
That's just adjusting the fan speed (on the left hand side you can see you have it in manual mode).

You should have a profile button on the dash above the climate controls (on the left next to your hazards switch). In a Cupra it has the flag icon on it, in everything else it has a P on it - should have the start/stop activation button and PDC buttons alongside

This lets you change your driver profile - which sets steering feel, accelerator response, and climate control for some reason. You need to press it and make sure it's not set to Eco, or that the mode your using (like individual) hasn't defaulted to A/C in eco mode.
I appreciate your response but I addressed that Air Con setting in post #4 above. It is not set to Eco.

Additionally, that button I highlighted above does not adjust the fan speed although I admit that I still dont know what it actually does. I toggled it up and down and the fan speed did not change.

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

carl^

Feb 16, 2021
As I understood it the low/medium/high setting is how aggressive the automatic mode will be when trying to reach the set temperature, with high being the fan and compressor working as hard/fast as possible to equal the difference between current and requested temps. So this would require automatic to be enabled and something for it to do.

Reactions: adam davies

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Chaps,

Looking for a bit of your collective experience.

The cooling setting on my air con (70 plate cupra) is very weak. It has been since I picked it up. For obvious reasons, its particularly noticable when we have warm weather - The car never seems to get cool.

Whats your thoughts on your own?

My comparison is with previous vehicles and my wifes Focus which after a few minutes is ice cold.
Have you had the system checked for leaks? I had a brand new VW once with the same symptoms, I took it back to the dealership for a warranty repair and ended up with an £800 bill - a small stone had entered through the grill and punctured the soft aluminium condenser radiator, letting all the Aircon gas escape.

Driver damage was their conclusion, a poor grill design was mine; the slatted grill had 30mm gaps which were far too large that close to the road.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Have you had the system checked for leaks? I had a brand new VW once with the same symptoms, I took it back to the dealership for a warranty repair and ended up with an £800 bill - a small stone had entered through the grill and punctured the soft aluminium condenser radiator, letting all the Aircon gas escape.

Driver damage was their conclusion, a poor grill design was mine; the slatted grill had 30mm gaps which were far too large that close to the road.
Yes, if there‘s any damage caused by an ‘external influence’ then a warranty claim will be denied. I dare say Seat’s approach would be the same as VW’s.

When I first saw the mk8 Golf GTI my initial thought was ‘I hope VW have a good supply of a/c condensers in stock, as there’s likely to be quite a few that’ll be damaged by stone impact damage‘.IMO the holes in the lower grille are far too large for that grille to provide any meaningful protection.
F8140DA9-9306-4560-AE97-299DE1826947.jpeg

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
I appreciate your response but I addressed that Air Con setting in post #4 above. It is not set to Eco.

Additionally, that button I highlighted above does not adjust the fan speed although I admit that I still dont know what it actually does. I toggled it up and down and the fan speed did not change.
Apologies I completely missed that reply 🤦‍♂️
Sounds like you might have a leak then tbh, worth getting the dealership to check it?

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
Yip, I think I think I'm destined for a trip to the dealership.Always try and avoid it like the plague.

Can't stand the typical "We can't fault it" line that they try and feed you.

Ill get it booked in and keep the thread updated should others benefit.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise