Airbag warning after battery disconnect

Andyg1978

Aug 13, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi all

I had to replace my battery over the weekend, stupidly let my niece and nephew play in my car and hadn't noticed they had left the interior light on.
Put the battery back and all is ok, well a lot of warning lights that will go away when driven, but I now have an airbag warning. This was not present before the battery died so I'm hoping it just needs reset.
What would I need to reset the light, I know a standard OBDII reader will not work?
Or any advice on who to take it to in Edinburgh?

Ta

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Have you checked the position of the key switch for the passenger airbag?

Last edited:

Andyg1978

Aug 13, 2009
Edinburgh
It's blanked out in mine. The place where it would normally be is blanked out. Checked my manual and it turns out that some cars (mine included) you can't disable the passenger airbag via the key.

Last edited:

Andyg1978

Aug 13, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks,
Looking at a canbus kit on ebay that should be able to reset it.
Still confused as to why it happened - but hey ho.........

Andyg1978

Aug 13, 2009
Edinburgh
The problem is now fixed - thought I would provide an update in case this happens to anybody else.

I bought a CANBus reader and was able to read the code but it would not let me clear it. I was just starting to panic when I thought the car was pretty sluggish to start. Even though the battery had said it took a full charge it must have been a bit faulty. I took it out again and measured the voltage - it was just under 12.5v.

I swapped it for a spare, started the car an the light was gone. I couldn't leave that battery in as it didn't have a lip around the bottom to secure it to the car so I bought another one. When filing this one, again the Airbag warning light was still gone.

Problem resolved - A slightly low battery had caused the problem in my car.

Hopes this helps somebody else down the line.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.