Airbox Smoothing Guide now with pictures

s_purs

its less restrictive now meaning the air can flow more freely hense the reason i can hear the turbo spool louder

Im pretty sure the small change of half smoothing the air box wouldnt make a difference in sound? It wouldnt effect the air flow THAT much surely..?

gordy.r

Right I've read this post from start to finish about 3 times now and I've come to a conclusion...

wait for it, it's ground breaking...

It's all down to personal preference! :)

I was going down the route of a BMC CDA but after much consideration I too will be smoothing the airbox, drillig (a few) holes and getting a bigger cold air feed and panel filter.

For the sake of a few hours tinkering and a little pennies spent I can't see this doing any harm in the long run even if it does only give a crisper sound to the induction roar.
Nobody sems to have any scientific or data logged proof that this will increase bhp/torque figures and to the same reasoning nobody has noted any adverse effects so it's all good IMO.

Now to go get the bits for the job!

s_purs

from this percieved change in sound from just smoothing the airbox what difference is it? it doesnt make the exhaust any louder at all? i definitely dont want my exhaust sound louder.

also whats the difference with the new air intake? again is it just literally the sounds from the engine when your stood at the front of the car or does it make the exhaust louder at the back?

borisvanhalen

FR is not a dirty word...
Feb 7, 2009
salisbury
after a drop in power on the RR last time around i removed the open cone and went back to oem box and feed with pipercross panel... got bored today so decided to smooth the box (no drilled holes) and fit 3 inch air feed, quick tb reset then went for a spin

deffo hear hear more DV noise but not sure if this is down to smoothed box or more likely the huge pipe at the front

griff82

Leon Cupra 20v Turbo
Jan 13, 2009
will just drilling the airbox without all the rest of it give you an good induction noise???

Alot of testing has been done over the years on Vwvortex and little or no improvement has been seen on smoothing the airbox, as for drilling the air box, what's the point? Why not have an open cone as you'll be sucking in warm air anyway, Just for a little dump noise!???? Hmmm just put an uprated panel filter in and stop faffing!

You'll see bigger gains renewing your MAF and N75 every other year than messing with filter setups!!

Sent from my IPhone when I should be doing Work!!

oldskool

fair enough captain. I think you get more power out of the cone filter when its shielded however the airbox is better responding low down hence why i took mine off and put airbox back on with a green cotton filter.

Dec 31, 2012
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought it's better than starting a new one, plus it seemed popular.

In case I totally bodge mine up (or wish to revert back to standard in the future), what other standard air boxes from the VAG group will directly fit onto the 1.8T 180 cupra 1M besides the standard cupra air box? Would a golf gti 1.8T one fit my car? (despite being 150) or maybe a octavia vrs mk1 (180)?

Last edited:

dthorb

Would this work on a tdi 150? Louder spooling etc.. Lol...

You usually find that when you play about with td air intakes it is possible to get a cracking induction noise, my mates Astra has been fettled with and a de-resonated exhaust and it sounds amazing snorting and popping.
Could be a bit annnoying if like him you weren't going for that effect though.
So basically anything that works on tsi will work on td.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.