Airbox Smoothing Guide now with pictures

EmDee

Omnishambolic
what about water getting into your airfilter and causing MAF problems? i am considering putting in a cold air feed but need to play it safe too

The feed is snaked around my SMIC and the shape won't let much/any water through. Even if it does make it all the way up the 1m long feed, it would just drip out of the end and probably not get blown into the filter. I've been running it for the last 6 months in all sorts of weather and no problems so far *knocks on wood*.

will-225

Just wondering for those who have drilled holes in their airbox, how many have you put in?
I've put about 30 10mm in mine but wondering if to go for more?

will-225

Well it's really easy to do & I can already hear the dv more (if thats your thing)

Feb 20, 2010
ipswich
I had these made but never used them

02112008041.jpg

but instead bought a induction kit

21112008122.jpg

what induction kit is that

s_purs

Ok I am a bit behind the times here- mainly because I only joined the site recently- but I have a couple of questions.

Drilling the bottom of the airbox is quick and seems good if you want more sound. Some people were worried about dust going in, which is the whole point of the filter in the first place? So surely if you have these holes then it will let dust and stuff in, which wouldnt be good for your engine?

But then why not just put some mesh/old filter onto the bottom of the box over the holes? That would filter the air and make it cleaner, and possibly help with heat soak a bit? But then you still have the benifit of a bit louder sound? Or am I completely missing something here, as this hasnt been mentioned before?

Ovni_cupraR

Yellow Peril
Oct 25, 2008
Maidstone, Kent
If the holes were in the top of the airbox then yeah dust etc would go straight down the tip, but having holes in the bottom allows a little more air to be drawn but still has to pass through the paper filter just like air coming from the air feed so theres no need for any extra mesh or filter, is that what you mean?

s_purs

isnt the pipe that goes to the engine below the filter? ie in the bottom part with the holes in? or is it in the top?

Ovni_cupraR

Yellow Peril
Oct 25, 2008
Maidstone, Kent
Not as far i know mate, the air comes in through the airfeed (or via drilled holes) into the bottom half of the airbox, then passes through the panel filter into the top half of the box and through the MAF into the TIP, so having holes in the bottom of the airbox makes no difference in terms of dust etc getting into the engine, having holes in the top would though

s_purs

ok fair enough, im not that good with cars yet, and hadnt opened mine up. just assumed that was the problem as some people mentioned that dust might get in.

getting a new exhaust tomorrow so will see how that sounds and then think about drilling the holes after

cheers

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
isnt the pipe that goes to the engine below the filter? ie in the bottom part with the holes in? or is it in the top?

glad you asked this mate.

Guna drill mine tomorrow afternoon I think. CBA smoothing, might save smoothing to a day when Im bored and what to do something to the car.

cupra_mike

Jan 30, 2011
glad you asked this mate.

Guna drill mine tomorrow afternoon I think. CBA smoothing, might save smoothing to a day when Im bored and what to do something to the car.

many have used plyers instead of smoothing. which im going to go and do in 5 mins as it wont take long

Sometimes I think people mess about with perfectly good setups for the sake of it, I can't see the point of this mod either, airbox is fine in my opinion and like another poster said drilling holes will just allow hot air in, and I'm not bothered about dv noise tbh, I have an uprated dv it works fine I can just hear it, but any louder and it just annoys me after a while.

Jim

Sent from my IPhone when I should be doing Work!!

cupra_mike

Jan 30, 2011
Right just an update. Ive just done this. Rather than sanding i used plyers and just snapped the plastic ridges off. Took me id say 15-20mins. Took her for a drive, turbo spool much louder and dump valve louder. Didnt bother with drilling the bottom of the box though. Id say 15-20mins well spent :D

cupra_mike

Jan 30, 2011
Smoothing alone shouldnt make a difference to the noise of anything?

its less restrictive now meaning the air can flow more freely hense the reason i can hear the turbo spool louder.

I didnt drill the box because i dont want induction roars etc. id prefer stealth but just my dv woosh

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.