Alloy offsets

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Hi all.

I'm considering some new alloys and was wondering what peoples setups are on their mk3 Leon.

Whether you have aftermarket alloys or stock, i'm just curious as to what setups people have as i'm unsure which offsets will fit on mine and it would be nice to hear some examples from members on here.

I have been on WILLTHEYFIT and checked a few offsets etc. but would like a bit more information/advice

Thanks in advance.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
In addition to the wheel offsets, you may also want to include the rim width, plus if using any spacers.

Also, are you wanting to complete any other mods? Lowered suspension, increased camber etc?

All will have an impact.

The link below has the OEM rim sizes and offsets as a start point eg. 17” to 18” or 19”. Generally +/- 5 mm ET is fine, but more is possible.

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
This page is handy to work out the difference on wheels and tyres if you're not good at working out what the widths and offsets will mean....

Worth noting that the Cupra R ST comfortably fits 19x8 with an offset of ET45.

Generally speaking even if you're lowered 19x8.5 with an Offset of ET45 is near enough perfect IMO. Its what Revo runs on its wheel for these cars. (Racingline too but an offset of ET44 so only 1mm different). If you're lowered then the tyre profile may have an impact, but even the squarest (edge wise) of tyres (Michelin for example) in a 235/35 R19 should be fine on an 19x8.5 ET45. But a 245/35 may cause rubbing unless you get some of the cheaper tyres.

Michelins, Goodyear and Continentals will have a wider overall width compared to your Falkens and Toyos, even if their section width and profile numbers are the same.

Reactions: Mr Pig

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
In addition to the wheel offsets, you may also want to include the rim width, plus if using any spacers.

Also, are you wanting to complete any other mods? Lowered suspension, increased camber etc?

All will have an impact.

The link below has the OEM rim sizes and offsets as a start point eg. 17” to 18” or 19”. Generally +/- 5 mm ET is fine, but more is possible.

This page is handy to work out the difference on wheels and tyres if you're not good at working out what the widths and offsets will mean....

Worth noting that the Cupra R ST comfortably fits 19x8 with an offset of ET45.

Generally speaking even if you're lowered 19x8.5 with an Offset of ET45 is near enough perfect IMO. Its what Revo runs on its wheel for these cars. (Racingline too but an offset of ET44 so only 1mm different). If you're lowered then the tyre profile may have an impact, but even the squarest (edge wise) of tyres (Michelin for example) in a 235/35 R19 should be fine on an 19x8.5 ET45. But a 245/35 may cause rubbing unless you get some of the cheaper tyres.

Michelins, Goodyear and Continentals will have a wider overall width compared to your Falkens and Toyos, even if their section width and profile numbers are the same.

Thanks for your responses.

I don't intend on any other mods, i've just been looking for some alloys as i don't like the stock ones ( 5F0601025B )
What i want to do is keep the tyres i have as they're still good tyres and just do an alloy swap and as i'm unsure what would fit i've been limited to searching the internet for exact dimensions that my current ones have 17" 7.5J offset 51. My tyres are 225 width and 45 profile and 17" of course.

So if for example i got some 17" 8J et45 alloys, would they be fine? From what you've said id imagine it would be fine as people have rim diameters of 19" etc

I'm trying to broaden my search criteria in a nutshell.
Thanks again.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks for your responses.

I don't intend on any other mods, i've just been looking for some alloys as i don't like the stock ones ( 5F0601025B )
What i want to do is keep the tyres i have as they're still good tyres and just do an alloy swap and as i'm unsure what would fit i've been limited to searching the internet for exact dimensions that my current ones have 17" 7.5J offset 51. My tyres are 225 width and 45 profile and 17" of course.

So if for example i got some 17" 8J et45 alloys, would they be fine? From what you've said id imagine it would be fine as people have rim diameters of 19" etc

I'm trying to broaden my search criteria in a nutshell.
Thanks again.
8" wide with 45 offset would be fine, more so with 225 tyres.

With 225 tyres I wouldn't go for a wheel any wider than 8" otherwise you'll get a stretch on the tyre so limited rim protection.

Reactions: OJ9693

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
8" wide with 45 offset would be fine, more so with 225 tyres.

With 225 tyres I wouldn't go for a wheel any wider than 8" otherwise you'll get a stretch on the tyre so limited rim protection.
Thanks, that's made me feel more confident!
Would you recommend a certain min/max offset ?
a lot of alloys im finding are et40..

Another question relating to tyres/alloys. If i were to swap alloys and keep original tyres, would i need to purchase new TPMS sensors for each wheel?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks, that's made me feel more confident!
Would you recommend a certain min/max offset ?
a lot of alloys im finding are et40..

Another question relating to tyres/alloys. If i were to swap alloys and keep original tyres, would i need to purchase new TPMS sensors for each wheel?
ET40 on an 8" rim would be fine with a 225 tyre without lowering and look about right as well. If you use that website I posted above and use the 235/35R19 19x8.5" ET45 as a limit, you should be fine.

I'm currently running a 19x8 ET40 setup at the front, lowered with 235 Michelin tyres and I only catch the inner arch liner on the biggest of dips/pot holes.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
VAG cars including SEATs thankfully don't use/need TPMS sensors on the wheels themselves, the system takes rate of rotation readings from the ABS rings.
This means you can fit any wheel/tyre combo that will physically fit, (assuming they are also within the required clearances.)

*Be a bit daft of me also not to mention that I currently have a mint set of smart/recent 16" Golf alloys already with SEAT centre caps in the 'Parts For Sale' section on here - if by chance you're inclined to go for a more modest/comfortable option rather than a typical blingy/larger diameter direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damo H and OJ9693

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
I have 18*8 ET45 with 225/40/r18 tyres on my fr. They fill the arches better than the original wheels with ET51. No rubbing at all, smacked some pretty decent pot holes too :LOL:

Reactions: Deli and OJ9693

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
VAG cars including SEATs thankfully don't use/need TPMS sensors on the wheels themselves, the system takes rate of rotation readings from the ABS rings.
This means you can fit any wheel/tyre combo that will physically fit, (assuming they are also within the required clearances.)

*Be a bit daft of me also not to mention that I currently have a mint set of smart/recent 16" Golf alloys already with SEAT centre caps in the 'Parts For Sale' section on here - if by chance you're inclined to go for a more modest/comfortable option rather than a typical blingy/larger diameter direction.
Missed that bit of their question (y)

sweetfr

Misty
Nov 24, 2007
Co Durham
Here are mine 8 * 18 et45 with 225/40 tyres
B4FEBD43-9F6E-444C-B3F8-5678C7D40B05.jpeg
E924FC76-92A9-42FD-BA31-CE6AEB5789F2.jpeg
B2FACD8E-5ED6-4AAC-B357-728BC82A9A49.jpeg

Reactions: OJ9693 and Damo H

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019

Thanks for the responses all.

Unfortunately i don't wish to downsize i'm just looking for the same 17" diameter i already have. Thanks anyway, hope you find a buyer!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Rem check with your insurance company as the change may put your insurance up. Yes, you need to tell them. I have found that if you're putting on other OEM Seat wheels they don't mind at all and it makes no difference. They ask if the wheels are genuine Seat ones and if they are they're happy.

Aftermarket wheels are an unknown to them. They may not be the correct specification or poorer quality. If you change the spec of the wheels and don't tell them, technically, they can and could void your insurance. Make the call before you buy anything.

Don't buy cheap wheels. OEM ones are decent quality but a lot of the cheaper alloys you get are not great. Also, check that you can buy them individually. I don't know if this is still a problem but years ago I knew people who bought a set of four wheels then found that they couldn't buy a single wheel when they damaged one. OEM wheels are always going to be widely available, you can pick the odd wheel up on eBay no problem, but in a few years it may be difficult or impossible to find some aftermarket wheels.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Rem check with your insurance company as the change may put your insurance up. Yes, you need to tell them. I have found that if you're putting on other OEM Seat wheels they don't mind at all and it makes no difference. They ask if the wheels are genuine Seat ones and if they are they're happy.

Aftermarket wheels are an unknown to them. They may not be the correct specification or poorer quality. If you change the spec of the wheels and don't tell them, technically, they can and could void your insurance. Make the call before you buy anything.

Don't buy cheap wheels. OEM ones are decent quality but a lot of the cheaper alloys you get are not great. Also, check that you can buy them individually. I don't know if this is still a problem but years ago I knew people who bought a set of four wheels then found that they couldn't buy a single wheel when they damaged one. OEM wheels are always going to be widely available, you can pick the odd wheel up on eBay no problem, but in a few years it may be difficult or impossible to find some aftermarket wheels.

Yes that's very wise, thanks. It makes sense why you see aftermarket sets of alloys for sale with just one alloy with a buckle or flatspot. Probably couldn't find a replacement!

Now i'm exploring the idea of getting my OEM ones sprayed instead. Issue is when it comes to sell the car i'd probably want to revert them to stock colour..

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Now i'm exploring the idea of getting my OEM ones sprayed instead. Issue is when it comes to sell the car i'd probably want to revert them to stock colour..

Have a look for a set of OEM 18'' wheels? I had those 17'' wheels on our last car and I liked them but they are very common. If you paint them a different colour it just looks odd. I wouldn't do it personally. If you put OEM 18'' wheels on it will probably make your car easier to sell and the difference in ride comfort is minimal.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Have a look for a set of OEM 18'' wheels? I had those 17'' wheels on our last car and I liked them but they are very common. If you paint them a different colour it just looks odd. I wouldn't do it personally. If you put OEM 18'' wheels on it will probably make your car easier to sell and the difference in ride comfort is minimal.

Yeah it is the slightly easier option, although the reason i was looking at 17" is because i'm tight and don't want to fork out for new tyres lol.
I don't hate the ones i have now, i just fancy something more attractive, as most of us do.

I also read very contradicting reviews about ride comfort of the jump from 17's to 18's so i kind of steered away from that idea.
Maybe if i find a set with decent tyres on it could sway my decision.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yeah it is the slightly easier option, although the reason i was looking at 17" is because i'm tight and don't want to fork out for new tyres lol.

Money can't be that tight if you're looking at new wheels? ;0)

It's a common theme. Guys, usually young, are desperate to have a good looking car and new alloys are top of the list. But money is tight so they buy the cheapest alloys they can find and put Chinese tyres on them.

It's completely backwards. Your tyres are four of the most important parts of your car. The difference in wet stopping distance between a top tyre and a bad one can be six car lengths. Let the implications of that sink in! How many people are in a crash but never consider that they might have avoided it if they'd spent more on tyres? I'd rather have boring wheels and top tyres, all day long.

If you buy a used set of wheels there's a pretty good chance they'll come with tyres anyway. Have a look around. I bought a set of alloys with four very good tyres years ago and they didn't cost any more than a set with crap tyres. You might get lucky.

Yes, obviously 18'' wheels will be firmer but honestly, it's not that bad. The ride on the pre-facelift isn't very good to begin with but moving up one wheel size only makes it slightly worse. It's not unbearable. In fact I would say you can feel a bigger difference between tyres. I'd certainly be open to the idea if I were you. See what comes up.

Reactions: black_sheep

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
We had 18” Performance OEM alloys on our 150 FR.

I had them powder coated gloss black and sold the car like that. As long as you don’t go too wild on colour (ie gloss black, anthracite etc) they will be ok - I’ve added some pictures so that you can see the difference. I’ve just done the same to my diamond cut Cupra alloys - admittedly, they don’t look as good as when new, but when the lacquer started to peel from the stone chips on 2 of 4 wheels options were limited.

In terms of the ride quality, the suspension on the FR is fairly firm and there wasn’t much difference between 16”/17”/18” when our winter tyres were fitted.

Attachments

• 4E8DB060-D31A-4847-AFF7-E5BACBE2232D.jpeg
    4E8DB060-D31A-4847-AFF7-E5BACBE2232D.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 103
  • F553AAAC-EAF0-4D1C-BC3C-CCCB6320EEAD.jpeg
    F553AAAC-EAF0-4D1C-BC3C-CCCB6320EEAD.jpeg
    466.9 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: Mr Pig
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.