Altea 1.6 DSG 2011 7 speed gearbox fail mechatronic issue

sharefe

Nov 23, 2014
West London
Need advice please.

History for background information.

Bought Altea from car giant in 2014 with 15000 miles and full Seat service history, I was told that the car was a disability vehicle.

Very happy with car with no problems.

I purchased a service plan from Seat for a two year service at a cost of £20 a month for 18months payment that would include a minor and major service and two year aa cover. Again very happy with the offer.

The car was perfect and I took it for its first service and that was fine.

The problems

In May 2016 it was due a service and at the same time I started getting the orange coil flashing and the engine warning light.
I took it in for its 2nd service and was advised that the egr needed replacement at a cost of 1700£.

I contacted seat customer service and they offered goodwill where I paid £100. But this took a full month of negotiations leaving me without a car.

14th July 2016 I get the error of a flashing gear number alternating with the spanner symbol. I called the seat service dealer who advised that it's either the service is due on the gearbox or there is a malfunction.

Contacted Seat customer service who advised that I must take the car in for diagnostic. The car has 34000 miles on the clock with full Seat dealer service.

The diagnosis is that the mechatronic unit has failed causing some metal fillings to be present in the magnets of the gearbox.

Cost of repair is £6000 for a new gearbox.

Seat customer service has offered 50% goodwill.

I have tried to explain that this gearbox has a known issue and that vw has issued recall of this 7 speed dsg dq200 gearbox that had a fault with the wrong oil being put into it from manufacturer which causes the mechatronic unit to fail causing full failure of the gearbox.

The car is out of the 3 year warranty but not of the 60000 miles and the gearbox is due service at 40000.

I have refused the seat customer service offering of 50% goodwill and advised for them to cover all costs of the fault.

Can anyone help with advice on the next stage I can take to get this resolved?

I feel let down by the faults that have occurred and now I am thinking that I may take the legal route.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The car is with the dealer. I am now waiting for an email from customer service ref the goodwill offer.

Thank you for your help sorry it's a long post.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members