Altea Newbie!! ...... with some questions!!

vinnypeewee

Hi Guys and Girls..

Picked up my 2005 Altea TDI 140 on Tuesday. Great car.. lots of torque and "go" ... and trip avaerage of 51mpg! !! but im having some teething troubles with it :(

1. Whurring noise from front end above 30MPH ... susspect Wheel brearing and booked in next week with the garge I Bought from (non SEAT)

2. The Radio Reception is crap!!! radio 1 is always crackly... and local stations are Ni-on impossible to listen too?? Any Ideas what it could be??

3. The Cruise control works.... but no light appears on the dash too tell you its on :(

These are all things I need to get sorted under warranty i hope :D

I have some other questions that i dont think are warranty related.. but i was just wondering.....:confused::whistle:

I have folding Mirrors.. but they dont work from the Key-fob - Does this have to be switched on by a Main dealer??

Also the windows dont open/close by the key fob- again can this function be turned on by the Dealer??

The first day i had it... the warning alarm will tell me I had left the lights on... and now it doesnt?? is there a setting that could have altered this?

What/ or is there a program can i get for my laptop to do fault finding and setting changes???

Great forum.. and loads of great info... cheers in advance for your replies!!

Vince [B)]

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
As regards the wheel bearing, hopefully they'll sort it.

The radio reception is usually okay, but the rds function which switches to the strongest station is very poor. I have to nearly run out of signal before it switches to a stronger station. Can't help much more with that I'm afraid.

The cruise control doesn't show a light on the dash. Another Seat cost cutting venture I'm afraid.

The mirrors can only be folded manually I'm afraid, not with the fob.

The windows should go up and down with the remote fob. Press and hold the unlock button and the windows go down. Press and hold the lock button and they go up.

The headlights next. If you have autolights then leaving the headlights fully on means they turn off after 30 seconds when you lock the car. If you leave the sidelights on then the warning sounds. If you leave an indicator on then the warning sounds.

If you have a laptop then you need a product called VCDS (formerly Vag Com) which emulates the dealers equipment. A genuine cable and license with software will cost you about £200 for a Micro Can cable. A full cable for cross platform compatibility will be £250 odd. There's a section here for all things related to this.

Regards.
:)

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
Altea Queries

My 2004 model has No dashboard light indicating cruise is on, as far as I am aware no light exists, it may exist one newer models.

For the lights left on alarm, this only works if you have side lights left o (first position on lights switch) and not main lights, this primarily down to the 'lights at home feature' where the main lights automatically switch off once locking the vehicle , 30 second delay to allow you to get inside the house , more of a safety/security feature.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
On the radio frontage, you may have a shorter than normal aerial, if your garage can take it, simply buy a longer one, i changed mine to a slightly shorter one due to the original aerial catching on the garage door and noticed a slight loss in reception/output, might be that the previous owner owner of your car did the same but went a bit too small. (or the aerial is broken inside possibly, something i did by scraping it back and forth on the garage door)

Last edited:

vinnypeewee

Cheers for the replies Guys!!

I guess they are quirks that i havent figured out yet rather than problems!!

@ Viking and Cadman2k - The Cruise control baffles me... Pg 139 of my Altea Handbook says that "if the cruise control system is switched on then the symbol (CC symbol) in the instrument panel lights up"

and it shows the CC light on the Dash Lay out Page 57/58 and then again states that the light illuminates when activated on Page 58??

The Windows dont work remotely off the fob either :( Tried it and no joy up or down :( is there a way of activating this??

The reason i wondered about the mirrors... was because I read several treads on here about people saying that if you have the folding mirror option on the adjustment knob (which i have) ... then it can be done using the Key fob... but nowhere tells or shows how it can be done??:confused:

The Lights... your Spot on... they go off 30 seconds after locking :happy:

@Phil... The Radio Aerial is standard I think... about 12" long but it hasnt or didnt have the anti-theft thing that everyone talks about .. it just unscrewed and came off with no pulling. The Male and female ends both looked a bit 'furred' up so might clean them up and see ( i have ordered a C4 Stubby one to try!! £3 bargain!)

Now about the VAG-Com or VCDS ... slap me if you must!!.... but are the £20 Ebay jobbies ok for fault code reading and diagnostics??

Cheers again Guys... and sorry for waffling... just trying to be as clear as possible!!

Vince

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
The Windows dont work remotely off the fob either :( Tried it and no joy up or down :( is there a way of activating this??

The reason i wondered about the mirrors... was because I read several treads on here about people saying that if you have the folding mirror option on the adjustment knob (which i have) ... then it can be done using the Key fob... but nowhere tells or shows how it can be done??:confused:

Now about the VAG-Com or VCDS ... slap me if you must!!.... but are the £20 Ebay jobbies ok for fault code reading and diagnostics??

They're the ones I can help...or attempt to help with, when you lock the car, you need to hold the button down for IIRC 5 seconds, then it folds the mirrors in... thats on the Leon, but I doubt the Altea would be programmed any different, if you haven't tried it. and the windows open if you do the same when unlocking the car....I think.

as for cheapo Vag-com, I've got it. You can't reset faults or anything, and there are quite a few little protocols to go through, but it's a start. If you want to be fiddling with stuff/doing anything other than flashing fault codes up, buy genuine.

Oj

vinnypeewee

hold the button down for IIRC 5 seconds
Oj

what does IIRC mean?? lol

Cheers !! tryied to hold the button down for 5 seconds with no joy up or down... windows dont budge and the Mirrors neither :( ... just wondering if the switch has to be in the 'mirros closed' possition??

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Right, dunno what I was thinking yesterday. Brain fart.

The autowindows work on the key in the drivers door, not on the remote key fob. The mirrors are manual fold only on the Altea. It may be possible to enable the windows to work on the fob, but I don't know. The mirrors cannot be enabled on the fob as far as I'm aware. I've checked before.

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
what does IIRC mean?? lol

Cheers !! tried to hold the button down for 5 seconds with no joy up or down... windows dont budge and the Mirrors neither :( ... just wondering if the switch has to be in the 'mirrors closed' position??

IIRC is if I recall....

I'd seen threads about, like you, that it could be done.... ah well, you might want to post in the Vag-com section (as posted previously by Viking) and see if anyone could come round and have a look at it for you :)

vinnypeewee

cheers Viking...

Anyone checked there books too see what i mean about the Cruise control Symbol??

Or did they printed the owners hand books and then not bothered to put the feature on the car??

Are all SEATs like this??

also... another quick one... maybe someone will know...

On the Diesel 140bhp rev counter... between 4 and the 5000 rpm marker..... im convinced :think: there was a fliker of an orange light when i nearly stalled going from 5th down to 4th.. but put it in 6th instead?!!!:-o

Unfortunately the owners book only shows the petrol dash configuration :( ... and its different to the Diesel.

Anyone Any Ideas??

Cheers :D :D

vinnypeewee

notice my front flog warning light doesnt come on the dash too ... but the rear for warning light does?? :(

vinnypeewee

Yep. That's right.;)

Seriously??!!! lol.. and thats how its meant to be??!!!!! are SEAT Mad.. lol.. a couple of pence for an LED!!!

No CC light... No Front fog light.. but a rear one??!! sounds daft!!

But why does altea Phils warning lights work.. on a same year as mine... but mine dont?? :(

any other money saving things SEAT have done... or that i shoudl be aware of ... Im only a week into owning my Altea Sport .. ans im already feeling Hard done By!!!! :whistle::headhurt::doh:

jamborino

Aug 3, 2009
Re using the remote key fob to fold the mirrors, on the Freetrack you have to first enable 'Convenience' mode via the Multi Function Display thingy.

Once this is done you can then simultaneously close the windows and fold the mirrors by pressing and holding down the 'lock' symbol on the remote for 3 seconds.

I don't know if it's the same on the standard Altea but worth checking I suppose?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members