Altea SAFE locking AAARGH!!

xllent

Please can someone tell me how to disable the requirement to double unlock an Altea - i.e all the doors at one time.

I have looked in the owner's manual but can not see any sign of how to de-activate it.

Many thanks.

JonTelfer

On the crab
Jan 24, 2007
On mine it's just two clicks - one opens the drivers door and if you click roughly a second later it unlocks everything.
Altea TDi FR if it makes any odds.

Jon

Reactions: SeatJay

jtmac

Tell,

You are probably too quick with the second click if you need to do it another two times after that. My Altea seems to need to have the clicks more spaced out than my old Ibiza used to.

At first I was often sitting putting my seat belt on while my long suffering other half was glaring at me through the window of a locked passenger door. I'd done the double click that worked with the Ibiza (like a mouse double click) but it seems that the Altea prefers two separate clicks.

Probably not the only time that she's frustrated with me because I don't take my time ;)

I think most of us have got used to the double (or quadruple) click in the end rather than getting it changed.

If I ever get Vag-com I think I'd try to reprogram to do the following (if possible)

1 Unlock all the doors and the boot with one-click
2 Close the electric windows on locking
3 Have the centre button actually 'pop' the boot. not just unlock it.

Doubt I'll ever get round to it judgin but the time it's taken me not to get around to even washing it.

Reactions: Samy Lee

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
If I ever get Vag-com I think I'd try to reprogram to do the following (if possible)

Hi jtmac ... and of course all the others eager to play with some settings of their ECUs.

As mentioned in my favourite OBD-encyclopedia
=> http://de.openobd.org/index.htm

several ECUs within our Altea/Toledo 5P are programmed via "long coding", which is a setting of bytes (and of course their bits) depending on the version of the specific ECU.
So, when you get a chance to grab a hold of a dealers diagnostic protocol, you'll be able to find out about the ECU partno as well as the actual coding and can easily perform some "virtual" changes for yourself with the LCode-tool
(free download: => http://www.netech.dk/lcode/Install-LCodeUK.exe)

This can not modify your car's features, but it will help to understand what can be done by your dealer if he's able and willing to do so.
(We had some dealers refusing to make changes to the OBD which have not been released by SEAT-Germany ... others were glad to get additional new information)

For the ones of you interested in checking the proggie out, I can give you my comfort-ECU codings (original & modified setting) in case you don't have your own yet.

original
ECU 46: 19C000DC2D0905054C4F090000CC

modified
ECU 46: 08C000DC2D2D0505484F090000CC

You have to copy the ECU-string to the upper field (1)
When asked to load the according label-file (2) "Read info text file" you have to use this label (which stands for ECU=46/partno=1K0-959-433/length of string=14bytes):
46-1K0-959-433-14byte.xpl

Now you can see that I got rid of the "Selective Central Locking" (which is discussed in here, 2x press to open all doors at once changed to single press) as well as I had an extreme dislike of the "Auto-Lock > 15km/h", now there's no more closing doors automatically while on the road.

See if you can find other modifications ... :think:

Good luck and enjoy ... Klaus

PS @jtmac: The 3rd topic on your wish-list (pop the boot) won't fulfil, as there is no active lifting fitted in the boot's mechanics.

Last edited:

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site

Doubt I'll ever get round to it judgin but the time it's taken me not to get around to even washing it.

2. Also not sure if the electric window closure can be done as I think you need an additional convenience module fitted to the Altea but I may be wrong.

3. What's the point you would need to grab the handle/badge to lift the tailgate anyway which would "pop" the boot automatically.

Sorry to sound so negative :shrug:

jtmac

It was just a personal wish list.

2. can be done on mk1 Leons. Many switch this on when they switch off the equivalent function with the key in the door. There are even ready programmed devices that you plug in to upload this code.

3. I don't see the point of the middle button unless it did this. So the only point is to make the pointless middle button have some small use. Not really a big deal which is why it was last on the 'wish-list'

I personally don't see the point of switching off the automatic door locks at 10mph/15km/h, it doesn't bother me, but Klawit doesn't like it and has turned it off. Fair play to him.

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
My appologies, just done a search and found all the info on the window closure feature so I stand corrected.

I am still unsure wheather you can do it on the Altea 2.0TDI though as the ECU is a EDC16 wheras the 1.9TDI used the EDC15 ECU so maybe you will be able to do it with your car which will be a bonus.

Regarding the boot release what I was trying to get at was that there is no where other than the handle/badge to grap hold of to pull the tailgate up so I have to agree with you that this is a pretty useless function other than to unlock the boot without unlocking the whole car.

Last edited:

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Regarding the boot release what I was trying to get at was that there is no where other than the handle/badge to grap hold of to pull the tailgate up so I have to agree with you that this is a pretty useless function other than to unlock the boot without unlocking the whole car.
Hi guys,

there is a another slight advantage (?) of the "middle button":

ok, it opens just the trunk, but it locks automatically again shortly after closing the boot.

Pretty useful, when you have to run back your shopping car, you don't need to grab your key once more just for locking.

But careful: don't deposit the key with your bags and stuff in the trunk ... otherwise you'll have to call a taxi to pick up your spare key at home.

Greets ... Klaus

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
I personally don't see the point of switching off the automatic door locks at 10mph/15km/h, it doesn't bother me, but Klawit doesn't like it and has turned it off. Fair play to him.
Hi jtmac,

my wife still has the "auto-lock" in her IBIZA 6L ... and it mainly bothers me as sidepassenger, that I have to pull the doorhandle twice to open the door as long as the ignition key isn't pulled out (which resets this lock feature to normal).
Thus (... plus because I like to decide on my own whether I want to be locked in or not ...) no automatic closure on my ALTEA.

greets ... Klaus

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Sunny Saltcoats, Scotland
Hi all,

I've only just got my Altea a couple of weeks back. Have switched off Selective Unlocking and enabled alarm chirp for arming/disarming alarm. Thing is now that when I unlock with the remote, the first press unlocks the doors. The second press disarms the alarm ( ie it chirps). I have tried various settings but cannot get it to unlock and disarm alarm with one press. Help!! I can put up with it but i'd like to sort it (if it can be) :confused:

Any leads, using long coding helper from Klawits post. Invaluable, saves getting out the pencil and paper to work out new long coding.

Thanks,

James

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
I have tried various settings but cannot get it to unlock and disarm alarm with one press.
Any leads, using long coding helper from Klawits post. Invaluable, saves getting out the pencil and paper to work out new long coding.
Hi James,

glad you appreciate the tool ... :D ... but sorry, I can't give you a hint on a possible setting yet, as I don't have an alarm fittet in my car ... plus I don't even have the equipment (i.e. VAG-COM) to check this out.

But I've asked a friend, who has same setup as you have (selective doors "OFF" together with the alarm) and he reports that he needs the second push on the remote to disable the alarm as well.

If I hear about any solution, I let you know right away.

greets ... Klaus

Feb 20, 2019
2. Also not sure if the electric window closure can be done as I think you need an additional convenience module fitted to the Altea but I may be wrong.

3. What's the point you would need to grab the handle/badge to lift the tailgate anyway which would "pop" the boot automatically.

Sorry to sound so negative :shrug:

hi all,
Mine has global close (i think that's what they call it) one press locks everything and then hold your button down again, the mirrors fold in and all the windows go up, this works the same for unlocking.
not sure if that's what you meant.

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
hi all,
Mine has global close (i think that's what they call it) one press locks everything and then hold your button down again, the mirrors fold in and all the windows go up, this works the same for unlocking.
not sure if that's what you meant.
Hi Trev73, as time has gone by, the facelift (FL) models all came with (partly) changed control units' setup and upgrades in the convenience features. Hence your description is absolutely correct regarding the generations built between June 2008 until the last edition in 2015.
Same with "Autolock" feature, which can be switched on/off by simply pressing the "key" button in the center console until it confirms with a beep.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.