Altea Towbars

leltel

Shouldn't you guy's be in the For Sale section and/or swapping PM's :whistle:

Hi as you are online and an Altea XL owner, could you please give me some advice? We have had a qoute of £130.00 for a Swan neck towbar, fitted or a detachable for £300 (not through Seat), do you know if a swan neck will interfere with the rear parking sensors?

Thanks ;)

leltel

No it wont, they're either side of centre. Hell £130 fitted is a good price! Guess £80 for mine diy is a bit much!

Thank you for your reply, I admit that I do know the mechanic! :D He always serviced our previous cars for us so has come back with this deal as I won't touch my Seat franchais anyway! i just wanted reasurance as he is Vaulkswagon mechanic.

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
Hi as you are online and an Altea XL owner, could you please give me some advice? We have had a qoute of £130.00 for a Swan neck towbar, fitted or a detachable for £300 (not through Seat), do you know if a swan neck will interfere with the rear parking sensors?

Thanks ;)

Hi leltel, missed your post this morning. Yes the reversing sensors do go off when the ball is fitted. They must be super sensitive. Advantage of course is that you remove the towball for the majority of the time.

Mines being inspected next week as there is some abnormal lateral play (about 2mm either way at the ball) and it seems that the connection at the receiving socket is not as tight as it should be. Doesn't seem to me any wear on the removable part and I've only towed 3-4 times so not sure what is could be. Not trying to put you off, still think removable is the way to go. The Witter has a life-time guarantee and the important parts are not unique to the Altea and I have not read any similar problems to mine so I presume it to be a one-off occurence.

leltel

Hi leltel, missed your post this morning. Yes the reversing sensors do go off when the ball is fitted. They must be super sensitive. Advantage of course is that you remove the towball for the majority of the time.

Mines being inspected next week as there is some abnormal lateral play (about 2mm either way at the ball) and it seems that the connection at the receiving socket is not as tight as it should be. Doesn't seem to me any wear on the removable part and I've only towed 3-4 times so not sure what is could be. Not trying to put you off, still think removable is the way to go. The Witter has a life-time guarantee and the important parts are not unique to the Altea and I have not read any similar problems to mine so I presume it to be a one-off occurence.

Hmm now I am confused as to what to do, my heart says pay the extra and go for a detachable, my purse says the swan neck!! I could always sell my hubbies bikes, then we wouldn't need a towbar!

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
The Witter has a life-time guarantee and the important parts are not unique to the Altea and I have not read any similar problems to mine so I presume it to be a one-off occurence.

Got this seen to yesterday and the towbar fitter replaced the receiving socket and detatchable ball. Slightly revised design so not sure if this implies that there was a weakness or not or if its just part of the products evolution. Guarantee good though, all parts replace FOC and no-hassle :)

J500ANT

Oct 20, 2006
Bristol
Sorry to drap up an old thread, but can anyone give me an idea of what price to aim for these days? All I need is towbar and single electrics - don't care if it's a fixed ball, swan neck, detachable etc, just need a towbar.

gingerrob

I pais £330 for the Brink/Thule removable one at Towsure...Nice bit of kit invisible when not fitted..

J500ANT

Oct 20, 2006
Bristol
Quote from my local place was:

£220 Westfalia Swan neck with single 7 pin socket, there is a visible cut with this bar,
£309 Westfalia Detachable with single 7 pin socket, There is a bumper panel that can be ordered from seat for this bar at extra cost.

Sounds good to me. Gonna go for the £220 version.

tetchy100

I paid £280 for twin electric towbar with alco towbar fitted at a local auto electricians! Could have had a single but we might tow a caravan with it 1 day!

Addict

After weighing-up available options, I opted for the DIY route.

Westfalia Swan Neck Tow Bar from PF Jones (eBay) £106.99, del'd
Seat specific OEM tow bar loom from PF Jones (eBay) £137.00, del'd

The tow bar kit comes with full (pictoral) fitting instructions, but assumes that the rear bumper has been removed. A 'bumper cut' has to be made in the lower apron section, but this is pretty easily achieved.

The OEM loom circumvents the need for cutting and splicing into the electrics and is a self-contained unit that works in conjunction with the vehicle's ECU. It includes all necessary safeguards to protect the vehicle's wiring in the event of failure/malfunction.

A 'dealer download' is advised at the service interval following installation to reconfigure the parking sensors and other ancillaries, but the installation works perfectly well in the interim.

Fitting the loom requires patience and a methodical approach, with large sections of interior trim requiring removal to complete the job properly. Full installation instructions are included by the manufacturer which, if followed properly, make the job well within the capabilities of a reasonably competent DIY'er.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.