Altea trashing must be catching

goodwill

What a nightmare, first day back to work and BANG the traffic on the M6 stopped and I didn't, straight into the back of a BMW M5 at 50 MPH then was hit from behind by white van man:cry: The car stood up quite well with no airbag activation:). The garage say it will be repaired but the majority of the engine needs replacing cos of the damage plus the coppers made me drive onto the hard shoulder and the cam belt snaped halfway across lane 1. The garage reckon 3 weeks to get it back on the road.

Triple D

Oh ****, im glad im not you, smashing into a M5 :-o your insurance are gonna rape you i recon :(

Hope the car gets sorted though mate

ALTEA

Sad to hear the bad news about your bump and the poor atlea, sort of lucky in an unlucky way that the white van man went into you as i guess everything comes off his insurance now.

newbi

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
Oh dear not another one!!!

at least iv got someone to share my depression with.

sounds nasty im glad your ok, my airbag didnt go off but i wasnt going that fast but i would of thought your airbag would of gone off at 50mph.

anyway its only a car ( yea right ) as my wife keeps on saying as long as we are allright every thing is ok.

lets just hope you dont get a crappy corsa to drive around in like iv got for two weeks.

N

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Sad to hear the bad news about your bump and the poor atlea, sort of lucky in an unlucky way that the white van man went into you as i guess everything comes off his insurance now.

Unfortunately not if it is clear that goodwill shunted the M5 first, (although the van will be responsible for damage to the rear of the Altea and possibly a proportion of other damage caused - at least that's how I believe it works).

newbi

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
GrayT

valid point on insurance!!!

i hope Goodwill has a NCB as im gona have to start from sractch with my cover!.

damn insurance companies!!!

jtmac

I've gone with 9 month policies for the last couple of times. They claim that you build up your No-Claims quicker. Not sure if it's a good idea or not. I thought nothing to lose as they were the cheapest company I found and it was easier to find three quarters of the money than a whole policy. Not sure what happens if you want to carry the no-claims over to another company though.

Has any out there had 9 month policies? Is there any point to them?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Airbags will only go off if the G forces are sufficient.... not speed related

Given he didn't chin the steering wheel (I imagine) I guess that it didn't need to go off either

andycupra

status subject to change
i dont think you hit him at 50mph. (unless the traffic ahead was in fact, moving adn not stationary)

like m0rk has said, you didnt chin the steering wheel, so the airbag has correctly not activated.

They are designed to only go off if forces require them as if they go off at any given impact they would do more harm to you than the accident.

newbi

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
with my insurance i rode a motorcycle to work for four years and shared my wifes car until i had the funds to buy myself another car!

when i went to insure it i was told that the 7yrs + NCB i had when i last owned a car was not valid anymore so i had to start from scratch and now iv only got two yrs iv lost them too.:cry:

N

KAZSTE

Jun 28, 2006
direct line

I've gone with 9 month policies for the last couple of times. They claim that you build up your No-Claims quicker. Not sure if it's a good idea or not. I thought nothing to lose as they were the cheapest company I found and it was easier to find three quarters of the money than a whole policy. Not sure what happens if you want to carry the no-claims over to another company though.

Has any out there had 9 month policies? Is there any point to them?

had 9 month insurance with admiral, changed to direct line and they honoured the no claims bonus for me so might be worth a try, dont know if its their policy or a one off though.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.