Am i an idiot?

ibizasport16v

Oct 22, 2006
Clydebank
Ive used Poorboy's EX Sealant with Carnuba without using any polish on the car first of all as i thought although it was a sealant + polish but just read motorgeeks description of the product again which suggests that you should use a poorboys polish first, sealant then wax....

Ive just sealed it and waxed it with the blue nattys stuff and it looked great even before the wax was applied but would there have been any greater benefit of using the polish first

Knigh

Jul 9, 2005
W Sussex
Yes - the finish would have been better. Your choice now is to leave it as it is - which seems okay as you are pleased with the results. Alternatively it would be a case of stripping everything off and reapplying. The choice is yours.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Im in the same kind of situation here, about 4 months ago i gave the car a full detail wash,clay,paint clenser,polish,wax, now ive got a RR at the end of the month and want it to look its best, Now because i use AG SRP im going to get some EGP as i heard they work well together but over the past 4 months ive been applying megs nex wax after almost every wash so were talking at least 10 layers of wax on there. but my question is should i strip down all the wax and start from scratch then apply the EGP last or would it be ok to wash and wax as normal then apply the EGP at the end?

Cheers.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
First off, each layer of new wax will remove some of what's underneath so it's reckoned that once you've got 3 layers on there you won't get any more on (Law of Diminishing Returns kind of thing).

The SRP will also remove your wax.

It really depends on the condition of your paintwork as to how many steps you want to retrace. However, because the SRP is not so much a pure abrasive polish as a filling polish (i.e. it doesn't cut the clearcoat / paint back to remove swirls, it just fills them in), when you go back to the beginning with the paint cleanser you'll also remove any of these residual fillers and you'll need to start again anyway.

In other (less rambling) words, you need to remove the wax before you start applying anything else, and anything you use to remove the wax will probably remove any residual polish fillers as well, so you're pretty much stuck with going right back to the start.

With an abrasive polish, once the paintwork is clear of swirls and scratches, you only need to re-do the sealant and wax stages to get it looking perfect again.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Ok looks like i have a busy day ahead of me at the end of this month, im going to start all over and use everything apart from the clay. What would i need to use to break down all the products on the car so i can start from scratch?

Cheers.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Your paint cleanser or clay will do it. If it's been a few months, the car might be ready for being clayed anyway. Once it's washed, have a feel of the paintwork (some people prefer to do this through a plastic bag) to see whether it feels at all rough or gritty. If it does, you might as well clay it now before you go to the effort of putting any other products on it.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
I'd suggest a session with a claybar, followed by Megs Step 1 Paint cleanser which will give you a very good clean base to add whatever products you want after that.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.