An introduction

Cornishsteve

Hi, guys and girls, just to introduce myself, I am Steve from Cornwall and have bought a '98 Arosa 1.0 mpi for a first car project for my son who is 17 next year.

Bought cheaply as a non- runner,with 131K under it's belt, and having sat unused for a year since refusing to start after passing it's mot ! It now starts and drives nicely (replaced only the temperature sender for the ecu) and I have been pleasantly surprised by the trim level and how nicely it drives - just enough power for a new driver!

It came to me with nothing but the mot cert. and V15 - so there's going to be a few things I hope you can help me with as I start recommissioning it for the road over the next few months.

Only troubles that are apparent so far are the o/s window falls off the runners when wound down, the bootlock has had to be disconnected as it wont unlock once locked and should the digital dash turn off with the ignition? as it doesn't and seems to drain the replacement battery very quickly!

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Hi Steve (and son, I'm sure he'll be on here if the car is going to become his project) :)

They are good little cars - and you picked the best year ;) Mine is my first car too, had him for 3 years now and still working on him.
We had a bit of an accident earlier in the year though, and I ended up buying a non running Arosa as a donor car - so if you need any odd bits of trim/accessories then ask and I might have them.

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
Hiya, welcome to the forum :)

I bet your son will like the little arosa, they are perfect for new drivers too.

I had one as my second car, a 1.0 that is, then i got a arosa 1.4 TDi for my third. But ive still got my 1.0 too, i like it so much :p

Oh, do you mean the mileage and trip stay on when you turn off the car? thats normal, however if there is any light on, light a backlight then no, that shouldnt be on.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I do have a spare owners manual if you want one :D I bet your lad is pleased :) Reassuring to know that after 130k these little beasties still run :D

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
I do have a spare owners manual if you want one :D I bet your lad is pleased :) Reassuring to know that after 130k these little beasties still run :D

Ive seen a little 1.0S with near 200K on the clock, so its got lots of life left yet :D

allallyouyou

Arosa Sport
May 23, 2006
Im using mine for high mileage so in time I will tell you if their actually are, high mileage heros!!!

I love my sport and im sure your son will feel the same with his.

Yes, theres bound to be problems, not just because of the age / milage but because lifes full of them!

All the best with the 'project' :)

bluearosatdi

Hi Steve. Great choice first car. I have a 1.4 TDi Arosa & my good lady drives a 1.4 16v Lupo and can honestly say they are the best cars we have owned. Happy days.

Cornishsteve

Thanks for replies and encouragement, everyone. Cardaft, thanks for the imfo. one less thing to worry about. Greengoddess, may well take you up on the offer of a manual, I'll have a good look round the car soon (It's not at home but taking up valuable space in the rented garage, pushing my 205 convertible out in the rain!!!!) but it all looks fairly straightforward, so I may not need one.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Greengoddess, may well take you up on the offer of a manual, I'll have a good look round the car soon (It's not at home but taking up valuable space in the rented garage, pushing my 205 convertible out in the rain!!!!) but it all looks fairly straightforward, so I may not need one.

He he he The Pug is probably better off in the rain he he he :D If you want that manual let me know and I will send it to you, its free :) Just sat dormant not doing anything.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.