An odd problem with my 2008 FR

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
So I love my Leon its a great car.

But I have had an odd issue today. I don't do many miles and am still on the original battery (last year garage I think said volts were ok but Amps were low). Started the car today and cranked for longer than usual. Reversed off drive and drove fine but after 200yds noticed I have a blank MFD, and no gauges working, no indicator, no lights, no hazards and probably no brake lights, so thought bu88er and turned round and by time I was back the MFD had flashed up and then gone back to normal. I have put the CTEK battery charger on but doesn't look too bad as has lit up to 'ready'. Any ideas what it could be?

Thank you

Last edited:

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Happened two weeks ago:
The car didn't produce a single sound when I wanted to start it. Many error messages. Just 8v when I measured with "multimeter".
I have a Ctek mxs 5a. Charged my Cupra R 2018 battery and the Ctek told me it was "full", se pic.
Then i did monitoring of generator voltage with OBDeleven terminal 15 and 30 during driving the car. The battery charge was about 12,8 v. Not good enough! I replaced the battery and got 14,6v monitoring with OBDeleven terminal 30 (drove the car again).
Conclusion -The Ctek don't show the status good enough.

You need a new battery, my guess :).

My car is 5 years but not used so often, therefor the bad battery. Just 23000 km on the odo.

Attachments

• 20230104_132937.jpg
    20230104_132937.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Reactions: Rob66

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Thanks Swede same as you just checked my CTEK 5.0 and shows exactly the same as yours (up to the green float light). Just took the car out and everything normal, but I haven't got a way of measuring the Volts or Amps so I agree with you and I'll get a new battery.
Not sure what it could be if not the battery was very odd.

Tack;)🇸🇪

Reactions: TheSwede

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Took it out today drove fine but was rather slow to fire up so got myself a new battery. I will stick it in tomorrow night when back from work in daylight and let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Battery changed ok, so lets hope that resolves the issue.

Bit of info for those changing the battery on MK2 2.0 FSI

The Size you need to match the OE Battery is:

190mm height
175mm width
278mm length

I bought the Exide Excel 096 74AH (OE was 70AH)

Once connected you get a few lights pop up on the dash, Tyre pressure, ESC, Airbags. but don't worry they disappear after 1 min driving. I didnt have to enter my Radio Code. You will need to reset the one touch window up/down - to do this raise the window and hold the button for up for 20ish sec, and then do the same but down. you only have to do one window and they all reset.

Reactions: TheSwede
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise