Annoying starting issue

doodlebug

May 27, 2009
Ok dudes, i have a 2000 1.6 Cordoba vario with an annoying starting problem!

Basically when its cold, it starts fine, first time, no drama. However, once its warmed up and i turn it off and leave it for say 10 mins, then go back and try and start it again, it's just not starting!

I have to spend about 10 mins of trying to start it with my foot planted on the accelerator to try and get it to catch. Sometimes it will catch, but then when i tap the accelerator, it will cut out again.

As i say, it only happens when its warm. The garage i took it to have no idea, so just wondered if anyone could help? :)

jfinn

Hi there,

sounds like a problem i have had!
Does the EPC light appear on the dash when this happens?
Well i took mine to a couple of local garages and they said they didnt know. I thought id take it to one last place and it turned out to be the cooling sensor, i thought it was a bit odd that that was causing it not to start. Sensor cost around £30.

I know how you feel tho lol, used to get really annoyed on petrol forecourts when the engine was still hot.

Anyway hope this helps.

Jamie.

doodlebug

May 27, 2009
Hi there,

sounds like a problem i have had!
Does the EPC light appear on the dash when this happens?
Well i took mine to a couple of local garages and they said they didnt know. I thought id take it to one last place and it turned out to be the cooling sensor, i thought it was a bit odd that that was causing it not to start. Sensor cost around £30.

I know how you feel tho lol, used to get really annoyed on petrol forecourts when the engine was still hot.

Anyway hope this helps.

Jamie.

Hehe, that's funny, only yesterday i was sat there embarrased at an Esso station, i now panic when i need petrol!

Well, i just have the standard lights coming on when you stall. Hmm, cooling sensor then, right, i shall mention that to the garage, as its going in on Monday!

jfinn

Hehe, that's funny, only yesterday i was sat there embarrased at an Esso station, i now panic when i need petrol!

Well, i just have the standard lights coming on when you stall. Hmm, cooling sensor then, right, i shall mention that to the garage, as its going in on Monday!

Yeah i hated it! Whether its that problem or not its worth a mention to them. But i did have the EPC light on the dash when it happened and I have an Ibiza yr 2000.

doodlebug

May 27, 2009
Yeah i hated it! Whether its that problem or not its worth a mention to them. But i did have the EPC light on the dash when it happened and I have an Ibiza yr 2000.

Yeah i've not noticed an EPC light to be honest. Did you have to rev it loads to get it started?

jfinn

I tried always tried too, 1 in 10 times it worked but most of the time it didnt start. Just had to wait 10-15 mins!

doodlebug

May 27, 2009
I tried always tried too, 1 in 10 times it worked but most of the time it didnt start. Just had to wait 10-15 mins!

Sounds like we have/had the same problem! Did you get the sensor fitted? Or is it a DIY job? Bear in mind i have NO clue about the mechanics of a car lol

doodlebug

May 27, 2009
Garage just phoned me and it apears it was the cooling sensor that had died on mine as well! Glad its finally being sorted out! :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members