Annoying traders

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
I've posted about this before, but I'm going to share this with you so hopefully you can learn from my errors....

I bought my Leon from a small trader about 5 months ago "with full service history". Like an arse, I didn't see that history and I bought the car - Hindsight, I know, I know. It also didn't have the manual or extra key. **shakes head** I've been arguing with the trader and now they're just not responding to me.

It has, of course, been a veritable money pit, but now it's running happily.

I know I should have walked away, but they reassured me that they'd get the history and as I was buying from a trader, I knew my rights.

So the moral is, don't buy without seeing the paperwork as I'm trying to PX it now, and it's worth about £750-£1000 without history.

There is, however, a silver lining - I've been talking to Trading standards and the trader is in breach of the Sale of Goods and the Trade Descriptions act. You don't have to do much yourself apart from advise the trader that he has x days to respond and rectify - you then get back in touch with Trading Standards who then take the case on for you.

And yes, I am an eejit.:headhurt:

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
I did the same thing with my old 306 :( Damn that ended up costing a lot of money, lol.

Will only do it once though. Full service history on my Leon (yes, all 2 of them when I bought it, lol) :D

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Update:

How interesting - following the threat of Trading Standards, they've called me to say that they're sending out the history book first class today.

They're also going to pay for a key to be done at my local Seat Dealership - I've called the Seat dealer and they have confirmed that they've spoken to them about the key at any rate.

But they can't get a book pack as they're just not out there - I've called a couple of dealers and he's right - unless someone here knows any different?

Does anyone know where I might get one????

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Does anyone want to place any bets as to whether the trader (that I bought my car from) will sort this out or that I'll have to pursue this through all the available legal channels?

fr 150 boy

Jul 10, 2007
port talbot,south wales
ha ha,the wife will allways win! my ex is trying to get her hands on my fr! she can F RIGHT OFF! i had my fr from a main seat dealer with fsh ,with 29,000miles on the clock (it is an 05 model) i had the same trouble with a golf gt tdi,no key or service history.i bought it with snapped suspension spring

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
On the plus side, she only hates me a little bit so she's going to scan and email it to me so at least I can see it....

I'll get the crucifix, garlic and holy water on standby for when I pick it up :)

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Well, I'm shocked.

I've seen the duplicate history and it does seem to have FSH - saying that, the service for last year only has the date on it without any mileage. I did, however, call that dealer and he confirmed that it had a simple service carried out (oil, etc) on that date and even gave me the mileage.

All I need now is the second key doing....

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
But they can't get a book pack as they're just not out there - I've called a couple of dealers and he's right - unless someone here knows any different?

Does anyone know where I might get one????

I got one from a dealers as the original one I got with the car was bit grim.
Cost £25. IIRC they called Seat UK to confirm if they had any in stock and to send one to them, it arrived within a few days.

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Woooo - Just got an email from the seller and they've arranged for me to take the car to the dealer for a key on Tuesday :)

I'll call to verify but woohoo :)

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Having called my local dealer, the spare key has all been paid for and, assuming it arrives, it'll be done on Tuesday :)

Anyone want to buy a FSH Seat Leon TDI FR - well looked after - no expense spared? Lol :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.