Anone added just springs to an FR?

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
Has anyone here added just springs to the FR instead of both new dampers and springs. Does it help much with ride quality? It has been suggested on here that the springs are the biggest factor in improving ride quality and that the dampers on the FR are sufficiently good already.

I think most people start with springs and it improves the ride, i'd just bite the bullet and give it a go. If you don't like it i'm sure you could sell the springs on here very easy. It would just be the labour that would cost you.

Mar 2, 2008
I just had my eibach sportline springs fitted last wednesday, best mod i have done to the car, should of done this years ago, the ride is better not any harder, looks are way better, very impressed, save your money on buying coilovers unless you like going really fast round bends and doing track days. I rate the change as, better ride 20%, better looks 50% and 10% handling, not to bad for just springs

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
I had the pro kit Eibachs fitted and agree they are a substantial improvement. I went on to have FSD's fitted which made less difference although still noticeable. Both are worth doing but springs alone are a good step up from standard. The extra refinement is worth the money. If doing it again I might not bother with the shocks- but my O/E shocks were only a couple of thousand miles old, so still fresh. If yours are not so fresh do both since the labour costs will be an economy.

Mr.Leon

I just had my eibach sportline springs fitted last wednesday, best mod i have done to the car, should of done this years ago, the ride is better not any harder, looks are way better, very impressed, save your money on buying coilovers unless you like going really fast round bends and doing track days. I rate the change as, better ride 20%, better looks 50% and 10% handling, not to bad for just springs

and how much harder % ? :)

substantially sport (lowest) springs have to go with sport (lowest) dumpers... otherwise the dumper's life would be very short

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
If doing it again I might not bother with the shocks- but my O/E shocks were only a couple of thousand miles old, so still fresh.

My shocks are standard from new in 07. They have 15,000 on the clock. Worth upgrading yet?

Mar 2, 2008
sorry forgot to say 0% harder, dont know how just is, do it once done your love the look of your car alot more

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
My shocks are standard from new in 07. They have 15,000 on the clock. Worth upgrading yet?
At 2 years and 15k miles the shocks should be fine and Fsd's will provide a significant but (imo) not vital improvement.

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
At 2 years and 15k miles the shocks should be fine and Fsd's will provide a significant but (imo) not vital improvement.

You reckon the springs alone are a more significant difference in terms of ride quality?

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
You reckon the springs alone are a more significant difference in terms of ride quality?
That is how it worked out on my 08 petrol Dsg Fr but you would need to have input from someone who did FSDs then springs to get the definitive answer- I found the springs made a big difference and the shocks, fitted later made less of an improvement. Since springs are much cheaper they are the obvious first step.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.