ANOTHER hid question

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Right i have searched and PM'ed a couple of people but have been unable to sort out my problem.
I have fitted hids to my car on both full and dipped lights, the dipped works fine but the main beam does not produce any light, the bulb lights up but does not produce a beam, has anyone who has converted both beams to hids had any problems? i have swapped over the ballasts but i still have the problem, any help would be much appreciated.:)

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i dont think high beams actually create a "beam" of light, more like blind the fecker that just cut you up and scatter light everywhere..

when you say they light up do you mean very little? tbh i wouldnt convert the main beams as hids take longer to light up. you'd want instant "flash" ability when you need them in an emergency

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
They light up and if you look at them they are bright but at night when i switched them on there was no change from the light out put from the lights it was as they didn't work just the original light produced by the dipped..

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
I had Hids in both high and low on my angel eyes (on my last car) and you can really see the difference at night, it lights up the lanes like a rally stage.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
same as lee here. Have you earth the HID kit correctly for the main? You need to use the brown lead that run to the metal bulb surround plate iirc.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
try adjusting and aiming em properly or at least checking the aim

if they are aiming at an area that is covered in low beam they wont look any different

might be worth lowering the mains as leon lights do scatter it a bit

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Cheers for the ideas i will try them, the lights are Ultra projectors by the way not OE lights.

Danny, do i need to do this even though the bulbs are earthed via the wire going to the ballast.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
As long as they are being lit, it's an alignment issue :)

Yeah i am thinking the same now as me and Cupra r lad where looking at them earlier and we had to more or less lie on the ground about 6 ft from the car before the light was really bright, i am going to the garage tomorrow to get them aligned.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Cheers for the ideas i will try them, the lights are Ultra projectors by the way not OE lights.

Danny, do i need to do this even though the bulbs are earthed via the wire going to the ballast.

Phil ... how far in the hole are the bulbs ... have they gone in as far as the original bulbs did because if not or you're fouling the light shroud that might explain the lack of light output despite them being lit.

CupraR_Lad

Jul 9, 2007
Herefordshire
Looks to me as the HIDs are working fine,just that the full beam is all over the place,and pointing right down to the floor,so im guessing when phill puts the full beam on,he hardly notices anything due to them pointing to low and joing in with the main beam if you catch my drift! :)

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
TBH i haven't got the time to do it myself, i will drop it into the garage today and let them do it as i have to pay the same if they just tweak it or do it all.
I bought the lights second hand and never touched the alignment so the guy i had them of must have been driving with them like this all the time. :confused:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members