Another LC v LCR comparison

fickel

Rotary Rocks
Dec 7, 2002
Yorkshire
supanet.com
Sorry for this but I have to post a comparison thread to go with the hundreds of others on SCN:redface:
Having owned a 2002 LC since new and played with remaps/exhausts/suspensions/filters and all the rest I can say without fear of being challenged that I converted a good car into a great car. :thumbup:

Today I picked up a new LCR in Arctic and have been able to put a good few miles on it. :D

Conclusion?

I wish I had bought an R months ago :-o

Steering feel in a different league to a Cupra. Much heavier and a very direct.

Gearbox........Much slicker not as notchy and improved as the day went on.

Suspension.......firm but comfy and as good as my Koni's on the Cupra

Performance.......Haven't really pushed that but is on a par with my remapped Cupra BUT loads quieter and smoother.

Seats.......Not Recaros but very nice and supportive....Better than my LC's leather

Brakes..........Hurt my nose on the windscreen :worship:

Got lucky with the bits and bobs......got all the MY05 bits ie lit sun visors etc and an MY04 Multi changer. :clap:

Overall impression

I have landed on my feet/ come up smelling of roses ...you name it.
This is one very tasty well sorted car(here speaks a person who has spent thousands on countless hot hatches over the last 18 years)
God knows what it will be like when 'tweaked' :confused: :whistle: :cheers:
If you love your LC then P/x it/ crash it/ burn it/ lose it
Go buy an R

Deeko

220bhp of dirtiness
Mar 7, 2003
Edinburgh
Visit site
I looked into changing my LC for an LCR but the stealer seems to be selling off brand new LCs for around £13K...they were saying I'd only get around £10K P/X for my 03 LC! :-o Guess I could go somewhere else or sell it privately. I was thinking of getting my LC chipped instead...

Deeko.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Just get the Cupra chipped.

My opinion was that the standard Rs only advantages over my chipped/kitted Cupra turned out to be better grip levels ( Could have just been the new tyres ) and better brakes. And it cost me £6500 to change. Add in the Revo, and wheels I've since bought and it's closer to 8k to change. For 8k I could have had IHI and brembos on the cupra, and still had more cash left. My insurance is cheaper though as the insurnace companies didn't like the bodykit on the cupra, which is odd since it's standard on the R.

Pete

Vincent Vega

CupraBBD said:
Its all about the budget you have mate I would love to have got the R but not enough cash.
I agree mate, I'd love the "R" but mine's a company car so I've ordered the FR TDI to save on fuel tax and company car tax. :)

Hicks

Let's nuke 'em from orbit
Nov 26, 2002
Relocated Yorkshireman
Visit site
When you say "heavier steering" and "firmer suspension", that's not necessarily a good thing on a long journey. Think I'll stick with my LC. It's comfy, goes fairly fast. Just doesn't inspire me with confidence when going round corners, but I just slow down :)

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
I have never been out in an "R" so I coulden't say! But I do not like that red stitching everywhere in the "R"!! Looks...well...tacky!

Loverly motor is the "R" but I don't think I would spend the extra money on one after owning a normal Cupra with a chip.

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
Kam said:
I have never been out in an "R" so I coulden't say! But I do not like that red stitching everywhere in the "R"!! Looks...well...tacky!

Loverly motor is the "R" but I don't think I would spend the extra money on one after owning a normal Cupra with a chip.

The red stiching is one of the cars best features in my opinion, the all black interior with the red bits everywhere gives it that sporty look while at the same time looking stylish. :)

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
YerMother said:
The red stiching is one of the cars best features in my opinion, the all black interior with the red bits everywhere gives it that sporty look while at the same time looking stylish. :)

The R's cabin has a much more sportier feel but despite looking at the stitching over and over... it is not growing on me :blink:

fickel

Rotary Rocks
Dec 7, 2002
Yorkshire
supanet.com
!

Everyones points fully noted

Having come from a heavilly modded LC with all the bits Upsolute/Konis/ Millteck/Forge/Braces/Neuspeed bars etc etc (the list goes on)............
I still think that the R is a better sorted car than the Cupra would ever have been.
It doesn't have the hotch potch black/grey and whitish( headlining) finish and just feels....................well...........heavier and planted better on the road ! which it is

I was maybe wrong to call the steering heavy but maybe a better description is more weighted
It's got more grip and has as much get up and go with those awesome brembo's in reserve.
Maybe the fatter tyres with the quicker rack is what all Leons should have ?

I take on board comments about cost to change verses IHI etc but going to Jabba isn't an issue for me due to the distance (plus theres probby a waiting list)
My cupra would have cost too much worry to take any further and with the wife at the wheel reliability is an issue.
Highly tuned motors have a habit of being 'a labour of love' and a pain to keep running nice I've been there and done all that
By going the R route, I can get the remap, drop in my Forge DV and hey presto I have a seriously fast but smooth...QUIET...trouble free and reliable ride
It also looks great too.
My Cupra had leather......this does not.........
I think the R looks better
Its certainly a less fussy place to sit
This bit is subjective as everyone is different

I've bought an Arctic Silver one just to be different and it makes the car look huge.
Makes all those swoops and curves on the bumpers really stand out.

I will take some arty photos over the next couple of days as there aren't many snaps of Arctic R 's on SCN

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Deeko said:
I looked into changing my LC for an LCR but the stealer seems to be selling off brand new LCs for around £13K...they were saying I'd only get around £10K P/X for my 03 LC! :-o Guess I could go somewhere else or sell it privately. I was thinking of getting my LC chipped instead...

Deeko.

10k is bloody good part exing an LC on an 03.

if you are gonna do it do it soon, cos as soon as 2006 comes and the new FR is launched expect mk1 leon cupra prices to nose dive big time.

Just look at the octavia VRs's prices for a guide.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
fickel said:
Everyones points fully noted

Having come from a heavilly modded LC with all the bits Upsolute/Konis/ Millteck/Forge/Braces/Neuspeed bars etc etc (the list goes on)............
I still think that the R is a better sorted car than the Cupra would ever have been.
It doesn't have the hotch potch black/grey and whitish( headlining) finish and just feels....................well...........heavier and planted better on the road ! which it is

I was maybe wrong to call the steering heavy but maybe a better description is more weighted
It's got more grip and has as much get up and go with those awesome brembo's in reserve.
Maybe the fatter tyres with the quicker rack is what all Leons should have ?

I take on board comments about cost to change verses IHI etc but going to Jabba isn't an issue for me due to the distance (plus theres probby a waiting list)
My cupra would have cost too much worry to take any further and with the wife at the wheel reliability is an issue.
Highly tuned motors have a habit of being 'a labour of love' and a pain to keep running nice I've been there and done all that
By going the R route, I can get the remap, drop in my Forge DV and hey presto I have a seriously fast but smooth...QUIET...trouble free and reliable ride
It also looks great too.
My Cupra had leather......this does not.........
I think the R looks better
Its certainly a less fussy place to sit
This bit is subjective as everyone is different

I've bought an Arctic Silver one just to be different and it makes the car look huge.
Makes all those swoops and curves on the bumpers really stand out.

I will take some arty photos over the next couple of days as there aren't many snaps of Arctic R 's on SCN

All above bits read and digested, but when you consider the fact that you can snap up an early Cupra for around the 4K mark starting price, and then spend say another 3k on it sorting it too your specs, i think you would be hard pushed to sy the LCR is that much better.

Look at Cupra R Con's car, is a cupra but you'd be hard pushed to spot it, looking at and driving.

And its always a matter of budget and timing.

If i had a £1 for every time someone asked me why i spent so much on my FR instead of buying a cupra ( then i would have £56) reason being is Cupra's did not exist when i bought my car and the loss on trade in plus expense on purchase made it not worth changing.

so everyone to there own, but i would not say the difference between the cupra and cupra R is as night and day as you make out. sure the LCR is better but i am sure the human factor is more a part,

Saying that i still say i will probbaly go for an LCR next, hopefully in 2007 some time when the latest models are down to the 10k mark. Thats the other thing about all mk1's including the LCR, the price is gonna nose dive as soon as the mk2 comes out. Plus could you justify spending 15k on a second hand LCR when the Focus St is just 16500, of course not. Oh and for Leon mk1 owners don't get depresed about the prices dipping just think of all the focus RS owners thinking they had a depreciation proof car and then Ford releases a better version for a lot less, ha ha .

I know one thing, i'll never buy brand new ever again, its a mugs game!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise