Anti Roll Bar

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Hi Guys
I was thinking about mounting a FARB however I'm quite in-experienced and also I'm a little confused. If you open the bonnet on the right hand side you have a sort of bump above the wheel arch where I assume the ARB sits.

The opposite side however has this bump again BUT its got something sitting over the top of it?! Will this block the ARB!?
Uh Oh's What do I do?

Uploading video now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdSCPEwS008

Is fitting an ARB hard?

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
you're after fitting a strut brace. having just put a SEAT Sport one on mine it needed that box unplugging and then removing (4 bolts) as well as the bracket it sits on (3? bolts). once the brace is on and the parts refitted it's fine - they only get on the way while fitting it

Mar 8, 2007
Just to play devil's advocate I had a SEAT Sport strut brace fitted to my Fabia VRS and have now removed it.

Not sure about the Ibiza, but on the Fabia the fit isn't very good and it doesnt reach the bolt holes properly, if you are inexperienced, like me, you risk cross-threading the bolt in the top mount, which when you come to remove the brace (which you will, as you cant access the air filter with it on - annoying) you potentially turn a 5 minute job into hours of work.

I also found the strut brace didnt do anything apart from look pretty anyway (oh yes, it does look very pretty), a rear anti roll bar seems to do more.

tom167

bucksvag.net
Mar 27, 2006
Milton Keynes
So do you want a front strut brace or ARB lol?

Strut brace joins the two top mounts, you can see it when you open the bonnet. The arb joins the two wishbones, its under the car.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
There is already a front ARB. The only thing that will really make a difference is a rear ARB since the car doesn't already have one. The front strut brace doesn't really make any difference to a FWD car. A rear ARB will stop the body roll which you will actually notice :yes:

Dan_Biza_Boi

189 bhp 312 touqe
Mar 29, 2008
gillingham kent
deff get a strut brace it makes a diffrance i would go for bigger up rated anti roll bars as my mate has and i would say it handles better than a 4wheel drive bvg

Mar 8, 2007
the front of the tdi is already heavy and stiff fitting a thicker arb and front strut wont neccesairly improve handling

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
i found a big difference just with lowering and strut brace and i will deffinatly get bigger anti roll bars
good tyres help as well
how much did you pay for your anti roll bars

Bigger isn't better. The Whiteline rear ARB costs about £120. There isn't a rear ARB on the Ibiza so fitting one will reduce body roll and make a big difference when cornering. Fitting a bigger front one will do the opposite and make cornering worse because you won't have as much grip at the front.

Dan_Biza_Boi

189 bhp 312 touqe
Mar 29, 2008
gillingham kent
unless my mate has done something else to his with out telling me but his handles like a dream and he has the eibach anti roll bar kit
which is only 4mm bigger and 22mm in total

tkjeeves

Blue
Jul 13, 2008
oxford
Fitting a front strut brace on mine i noticed a difference, it seems to ride over bumps and potholes better (or at least there's less noise, and i usually avoid riding over potholes anyways) However, i do notice i seem to understeer a little more than before.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Fact is that the Fabia/Polo/Ibiza all have a sort of rear ARB fitted as standard - its a rear torsion beam, but fitting an extra ARB stiffens it up a bit, I seem to remember that the MK3 Fiesta also had a rear torsion beam arrangement but the 1.6Si and the XR2i and the RS all got a separate rear ARB fitted at the factory.

Mar 8, 2007
Yeah, not strictly the same type of car but my mother's Daihatsu Terios (as on top gear chased by horses) has a rear roll bar from the factory

Aimez

Fact is that the Fabia/Polo/Ibiza all have a sort of rear ARB fitted as standard - its a rear torsion beam, but fitting an extra ARB stiffens it up a bit, I seem to remember that the MK3 Fiesta also had a rear torsion beam arrangement but the 1.6Si and the XR2i and the RS all got a separate rear ARB fitted at the factory.

Altech on here replaced his with a front Fabia vRS one as an upgrade, think is it to do with the bushes thou?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members