Any sprayers on here?

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Just after a bit of advice regarding spraying a set of alloys really.

I have refurbished a few sets in the past, although I have usually achieved good finishes in the past, the last set I sprayed black didnt come up aswell as id hoped.
Instead of being shiny and having a mirror finish, they have been shiny, but dull if you follow my drift.

My technique in the past has been to clean thoroughly, 2 coats of etch primer, 2 coats of base-coat, then 2 coats of lacquer.

I have never sanded in-between coats, I think that's where i'm going wrong.

Is it advisable to sand in-between coats for a more mirror / shinier finish?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
if your using a can it will drop, you dont need to flat inbetween coats, the use of rocket hardener will also cause it to drop

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Jake, you might be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told not to spray in cold temperatures. Something about the hardener not working too well? Could it be due to the cold weather that things aren't going well for Alex?

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
yeah ideally paint should be put on in a controlled enviroment, away from dust, moisture, and at a steady temp usually 22-28 degrees

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Thanks Jake, yeah I am using rattle cans, although when I had them mixed the bloke pressurised them abit more.

Slimy, I did the wheels last year in the summer, was a good 17 degrees out.

I know im never going to get a great finish from rattle cans, but is there anything else I can do to improve the finish?

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Ah thanks Jake.

May invest in a spray gun then, only issue is, the compressor I have is only 50L... do you think this would be ok for spraying a set of alloys in short blasts? or is it just simply not enough?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've only got a small compressor (Aldi powercraft special!) and it seems perfectly capable of spraying bike parts (my current project). I'm not sure it would have the oomph to cope with a bonnet or similar large area, but it should be good for wheels. It can also supply the impact wrench that I've just purchased, for when I do my suspension!!

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
I've only got a small compressor (Aldi powercraft special!) and it seems perfectly capable of spraying bike parts (my current project). I'm not sure it would have the oomph to cope with a bonnet or similar large area, but it should be good for wheels. It can also supply the impact wrench that I've just purchased, for when I do my suspension!!

Happy days, looks like ill be buying a paint gun then :)
I was thinking, as long as I spray in short bursts, it should give the compressor enough time to "recharge"

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Jake, wondering if I could pick your brain again if thats ok mate!

I am borrowing a 250L compressor in a few weeks time, complete with paint gun.

I am unsure of what to get in terms of paints / thinners / hardeners..etc

Im taking it the best way of doing it is to:
1 - Acid Etch Primer
2 - Base-coat
3 - Lacquer

Im unsure of whether the paint company will supply these with thinners already mixed ready to use, or whether I will need to do this myself?

Generally, what is the ratio of thinners to paint?
Will I need thinners for the etch primer and lacquer?
What pressure should I spray at?
Many thanks!

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.