Anybody else suffered problems with Rain X on the mk2 Leon windscreen?

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
When I first bought my car a year ago, I used Rain x on the screen as I had it on my Scooby and it was fantastic. Unfortunately I found that after a week or so of it being on, the wipers started to literally bounce across the screen.

I replaced the wipers with new ones which solved the problem for a number of weeks then again the same happened suggesting the new wipers were now contaminated.

As such I did everything I could to get the Rain x back off. After hours of elbow grease things seemed to improve, however ever since that day the wipers have never been right.

When it rains, no matter how heavy or light the wipers jump across the screen sometimes up to 2cm at a time, if i spray the screen wash they are fine again for the first few wipes then go back to bad.

I was convinced that the wipers must be twisted so I have spent many hours adjusting/twisting them, I have removed them and refitted, I have cleaned, scrubbed and clay barred the screen many times and have fitted another set of new wipers to ensure the best chance of getting things right.

With trial and error in adjusting them I got things to the point that you could even run the wipers dry and they would be absolutely fine. As such I thought the problem had gone, or was at least the best I could achieve.

Unfortunately every time it rains I discover that the issue is still there and a recent rain storm reminded me how bad it gets and it drives me insane.

Short of fitting a new windscreen which I am not prepared to do I am out of ideas, so I am looking to the experts to see if anyone else has suffered the problem or has a solution.

For info I have Valeo wipers that are like £40 so not cheap by any means, I would say its almost as if the wipers are just grabbing the screen then release again.

Help!!!!

Last edited:

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Part of me is tempted to clay bar the screen again or take 0 grade wire wool to it then rain x again knowing it will be spotless. But the other part is too worried it will render the wipers useless like before and ill have to waste hours trying to get it off again. My rear wiper is bosch and thats fine but obviously the front screen is alot different in shape etc

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Try a different rain repellent - I use Wolfs Nano Glass sealant and I've never had any skipping blades.

I used rain x before on my last car without a problem. It was so good I barely needed to put the wipers on. I just wonder if its something to do with the contour of the screen or something.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I have been using rain X for months now and I've not had any issues with mine...

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

george g

Aug 6, 2013
Did you use RainX straight away? have you ever run the car with just plain glass for a few weeks?

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Used car for a short time without it, then applied some and things went down hill from there. Now used it for about 10 months without. For the people that are using it, what wipers do you have?

Last edited:

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
My wipers are doing that at the moment. Had brand new wipers a few months ago. Tried cleaning the screen with glass polish but didn't seem to make any improvement

It might also be the application. Do you apply 2coats before buffing off? Making sure all the glass is definitely coated... might not be on the instructions, but it's generally good practice. The only thing I can think of is that some of the glass is maybe uncoated which will make the wiper "skip" which will then cause the judder as it settles.

I had Valeo branded wipers in the past and given the premium over BOSCH/OEM etc they were pretty poor performers and never lasted as long (IMHO)

Last edited:

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Yeah I gave it two coats as suggested. For some reason the wipers just didnt seem to like it. I might try again and buy bosch instead as they were what I had on my old car.

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
I use rain x, wipers standard (far as I know - changing for new ones next week) squeaks a wee bit but not too bad. Mate of mine stopped using it on his windscreen cos of the squeaks, switched to the aerosol stuff from poundland, why not try that?

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Rain x fine. Although on this new windscreen it lasts only about 2-3 weeks where as before it would last months.

I may need to polish/ipa before applying

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
I use rain x, wipers standard (far as I know - changing for new ones next week) squeaks a wee bit but not too bad. Mate of mine stopped using it on his windscreen cos of the squeaks, switched to the aerosol stuff from poundland, why not try that?

What stuff does he use

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
I had the same issue and changed to the autobrite repellent and it is fine now. It also lasts much longer so less applications needed.

I would clay the screen and change to a different product

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
What stuff does he use

Can't remember the name, get it in poundland, comes in a purple tin. He uses it on his windscreen, rain x on the other windows. He also did his glass with steel wool a while back, seems to work.

I also give the wipers themselves a quick wipe with the paper I use to put the rain x on the glass, seems to help.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members