Anybody else suffered problems with Rain X on the mk2 Leon windscreen?

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Right so today I have cleaned my screen and gone at it with wire wool, I then clay barred it as well and washed and dried it. I have taken the chance and given it 2 coats of rain x, I can immediately see how effortlessly water runs off the screen, however although not jumping the wipers seem to grab the screen throughout the full stroke as you can hear the contact between them.

This is what happened last time, so I've got a bad feeling that once the wipers become more contaminated they will bounce like crazy. Only time will tell. Just need it to rain now so I can test them properly!

I suspect i will be doing the same things all over again soon enough, might actually buy some cheap wipers off eBay too see if they are more compatible before scrubbing it all off again.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I haven't used rain x, but have got screenwash from Sainsburys that repel water. Cheap and is brilliant on the Alfa and Kia before it. Only ever used wipers when there was spray from the car in front, didn't need them otherwise!

Last edited:

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
I haven't used rain x, but have got screenwash from Sainsburys that repel water. Cheap and is brilliant on the Alfa and Kia before it. Only ever used wipers when there was spray from the car in front, didn't need them otherwise!

What's the screen wash called?

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, but could be expensive as I am ocd and like a clean screen so would go through it too quickly

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
So been a couple of days and now we have had rain finally tested the wipers. They are jumping across the screen like mad. It's ok when on the fastest setting but anything else is terrible. I have put some cheap wipers off eBay on to see if they end up doing the same. If so I will have one last go at tweaking the position of the and and if unsuccesful remove the rain x and try something else. Ive been thinking of carlack glass finish.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Tesco had an offer on for similar screenwash, 4.99 and repels water and bugs. AutoExpress stickers on the front seem to indicate it has won some tests, I picked some up so will let you know how it is, when my car stops being poorly that is!

Last edited:

Jhp

Hello!
Jan 25, 2014
Cov/Brum
A good way to clean your screen is with some paper towel (like they put in the dispensers in the toilets) and malt vinegar ( like you put on your fish an chips. Cleans all the crap off the screen and it's good to revive rubber wiper blades! :)

Note: the neighbours will think your mad putting vinegar on your window!

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Not sure if you can test this with the style of wipers on the car, but do they work properly when not running against the glass?

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Not quite sure what you mean but wouldnt risk running them whilst raised. They move properly just the blade bounces as it is grabbing the screen

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
So added some cheap eBay wipers and juddering has stopped at the moment, however not really been able to test into the rain yet which is when it happens, from previous attempts at this, new wipers normally last about 3 weeks before juddering begins.

I have done some reading on the detailing forum and bought a product called bar keepers friend, used it to clean my screen today so will see how it goes when the rain arrives. For cleaning alone it gets then screen perfect and streak free just with kitchen roll.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Tesco had an offer on for similar screenwash, 4.99 and repels water and bugs. AutoExpress stickers on the front seem to indicate it has won some tests, I picked some up so will let you know how it is, when my car stops being poorly that is!

Brilliant stuff
i hardly use my wipers while driving now unles its really heavy rain.

Rain x is awful stuff used it once and binned it !

best thing to do is clean your windscreen and seal the glass then apply what ever product you use.

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Ordered some angel wax h2go, so will wait its arrival them clean the screen with bar keepers again before applying. Will update soon

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
So angelwax h2go seems to be pretty good, beads off nicely and dont really need the wipers on dual carriageways. A lot more difficult to apply than rain x as it doesnt spread as easy. Unfortunately having had a bit of rain recently my wipers are now squeaking and bouncing ever so slightly at the end of the stroke. They hadnt done it until h2go went on but the wipers are only cheap ebay.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.