Anyone else noticed this weirdness or is it specific to my car?

loonymoon

Anyone else noticed that if you leave the indicator switched on (when the lights are on ) when you turn the engine off. When you get out of the car the warning buzzer will sound even if you've turned the lights off - the car leaves the sidelight and rear lights on ONLY on the side on which you were indicating and you can't switch them off unless you turn the indicator (which isn't flashing) off.... WEIRD.

It really freaked me out the first time as I didn't realise that I'd left the indicator on. I couldn't understand what was happening - as the lights were switched off and only the lights on one side of the car were left on....

Some strange ECU program bug?:confused:

Last edited:

loonymoon

LeakyTurnip said:
Yip...their called parking lights and pretty much every car has them fitted!!

Perhaps you're right but is it normal for parking lights to just light up one side of the car and not the other? I've just never come across it on a car before - have them on motorbikes I know.

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
I think the idea of them being on one side is you turn on the side closest to the road, uses 1/2 the amount of battery therefore you can leave them on twice as long!

loonymoon

tommmineh said:
I think the idea of them being on one side is you turn on the side closest to the road, uses 1/2 the amount of battery therefore you can leave them on twice as long!

Yes sounds sensible...!! Wonder how many people actually use them I might now I know about them!! But then I'll get people telling me I've left my lights on and that I have a couple of bulbs out!!!:D

Thanks for giving me a reasonable explanation for that, didn't think of parking lights as I thought they only occured on older vehicles!!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yes it's quite normal. but I've only ever had this feature on VAG group cars I've owned.

sikedellic

You still wander why they bothered designing the indicator thing, i dont think its even in the owners manual

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members