anyone fitted HID'S

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
ive just ordered some 6k h7r from hids4u. but has anyone fitted them to there mk2 tolly if so where did you put it all ? and is it easy to do ? :happy:

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Arnt they the same front end as the mk1 leon ? If so mine are as follows - passenger side in battery box next to the battery, drivers side behind washer bottle, you have to take the washer bottle out and there is a tray behind it, when I say behind i mean between the washer bottle and the inner wing. Its pretty straight forward you will need a 25mm hole cutter if yours has the plastic covers on the back of the headlights.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Yep, one of the best mods for the money you can do. I have the older bigger ballasts so you may be able to get your's more discreet.

BallastNearside.jpg

Ballast_offside.jpg

(NB Didn't have to take the water bottle out)

HIDCableEntry.jpg

(NB Didn't use 25mm cutter, just some snippers to make a cutout in the cover)

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
I guess you could do it that way, but imho that would leave the headlights susceptible to water ingress.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Yes, mine were done for me by someone else who had done a lot of these units. Although I have that area better sealed now and have not had any water ingress, given the choice I would go for the 25mm cutter.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
New to all of this but what does this part do to your car and how much are they :)

High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon headlights are the new generation headlights that are fitted to most luxury cars and most new cars can have them fitted as an (expensive) option. They produce 300% more light than standard halogens and yet use less power. The HID Xenon (not Zenon) lighting technology is significantly different to the conventional halogen bulbs that use a heated tungsten filament. Unlike Halogen lamps, HID lamps don't have a filament but create light as a result of an arc between two electrodes. The heat from the arc vaporises the metal halide which produces light as the temperature and pressure increases. The light produced by an HID Xenon lighting system is greater than a standard halogen bulb and with less power consumption. On the road, HID Xenon lighting systems appear as a bright white beam which resembles natural daylight. The bright white beam offers greater visibility and road safety.

In an HID Xenon lighting system, the voltage between the two electrodes rises firstly from 12V to 23000V and keeps stable at 85V by using the Xenon HID ballasts system.

What are the advantages of Xenon Light?
3 TIMES BRIGHTER

The clear white light produced by the Xenon bulb is similar to daylight. Research has shown that this enables drivers to concentrate better. Furthermore, this particular light colour reflects the road markings and signs better than conventional lighting once you have driven with HID Xenon you will never want to go back to Halogen.

EXTREMELY LONG LIFE

The xenon bulb will last up to 10 times longer than a standard halogen bulb and even longer compared to the new whiter halogen bulbs. An average life is 2000 hours.

pay anything from £40 to £70 for a set.

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
got the HID'S today and now fitted. bad bit is that they are the bigger ballests so i cant put the passenger side one under the headlight. at the mo all i have done is a temp fittment as i wanted to get them fitted. i will be out tonight just to try them out. and once im happy that they are all ok then i will spend some time on proper fitment of them and also i will get some pics up. thanks for the replys peeps :)

jiege01

Toledo TDI
Jan 11, 2006
Magherafelt, NI
i had the big ballasts and got mine to fit under the headlight. if not they can sit in behind the light under the plastic cover that needs to be removed to gain access to the back of the headlight, means it cant be seen.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
got the HID'S today and now fitted. bad bit is that they are the bigger ballests so i cant put the passenger side one under the headlight. at the mo all i have done is a temp fittment as i wanted to get them fitted. i will be out tonight just to try them out. and once im happy that they are all ok then i will spend some time on proper fitment of them and also i will get some pics up. thanks for the replys peeps :)

Well what was the verdict?

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
kewe i did go out but it was only 9pm so wasnt that dark but when parked next to another car with normal bulbs i can tell the differance. and mine look sooooooo much better. also i just ordered some white led sidelight bulbs so if weather ok over weekend i will tidy up the hid's and fit the sidelights.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.