Anyone using OBDEleven? Thoughts?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I was looking into getting VCDS but its too expensive and im a mac user so it'll be long winded to get it working.

OBDeleven Pro looks pretty good and comes with the new dongle, and I've heard it can do pretty much anything a basic user of VCDS will want to do

such as boost requested vs actual, TB alignment, fuelling etc.

I cant help but feel like diagnostics products are a complete minefield and i dont trust what i read lol

Anyone got any good experiences or suggestions?

Connor

Rich76

Dec 22, 2019
I was looking into getting VCDS but its too expensive and im a mac user so it'll be long winded to get it working.

OBDeleven Pro looks pretty good and comes with the new dongle, and I've heard it can do pretty much anything a basic user of VCDS will want to do

such as boost requested vs actual, TB alignment, fuelling etc.

I cant help but feel like diagnostics products are a complete minefield and i dont trust what i read lol

Anyone got any good experiences or suggestions?

Connor
Hi,
I use Vag-Com which I found online. A friend has VCDS which I borrowed, and certainly with a car as old as a mk 1 Leon, it seemed to do as much. I haven't tried it with the engine running, so I don't know about things like boost etc. It needs installing on windows XP, it doesn't like newer versions of windows. I use an old laptop which was free, laptops of that age cost very little. I gave up on macs after 15 years because they were getting too expensive new, then I tried a Hackintosh - not recommended!

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Hi,
I use Vag-Com which I found online. A friend has VCDS which I borrowed, and certainly with a car as old as a mk 1 Leon, it seemed to do as much. I haven't tried it with the engine running, so I don't know about things like boost etc. It needs installing on windows XP, it doesn't like newer versions of windows. I use an old laptop which was free, laptops of that age cost very little. I gave up on macs after 15 years because they were getting too expensive new, then I tried a Hackintosh - not recommended!

Havnt used windows in about 12 years, so I’m pretty reluctant to get a pc laptop and a cable as well as software. And running virtual window on Mac requires a copy of windows anyway.

OBDeleven seems too good to be true with just a dongle and an app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I've been hunting for ages for something that'll do just the most basic code reading, but so far, none of the usual eBay selection has worked, so I'd be interested in what you find.

I do have an old Windows laptop in the attic that's running XP, so I might just have to bite the bullet and get a cable, but again, high prices and eBay knock-offs.

How much does this dongle cost?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I've been hunting for ages for something that'll do just the most basic code reading, but so far, none of the usual eBay selection has worked, so I'd be interested in what you find.

I do have an old Windows laptop in the attic that's running XP, so I might just have to bite the bullet and get a cable, but again, high prices and eBay knock-offs.

How much does this dongle cost?

Obd eleven pro is 80 quid with the dongle and some kind of in app credits.

I emailed them and they confirmed it can apparently do all the above so really I’m just looking for someone else to say it’s good and I’ll probably buy it. They had to make an entirely new Bluetooth unit for Apple so they seem pretty official about it.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Not tried it but it’s exactly what I’m trying to find as I’m feed up of trying to keep an old laptop going just to sort fault codes and do some minor logs.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex

Any help ?

Good review but the info about needing android is out of date, they have an updated dongle that does iOS and android.

Not sure how i feel about having to pay for things even wit the pro account. But Currently im using a crap generic scanner that all it can do is erase codes.

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
I have an official version of VCDS running on a 10 ISH year old Samsung laptop, running Windows 10 and apart from my 10 year old Hard drive committing suicide it worked flawlessly, seems they have stabilised the software for newer version of Windows now. But it does cost a lot of money. If you only want to do basic things.

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
I recently tried a cheap OBDII scanner off Amazon only to find it wasn't compatible with my 2000 Codroba, even though it had the right shaped connector.

Is this VCDS what I should have got?

Anyone know what would work with a 2000 model that apparently is not OBDii compatible?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I recently tried a cheap OBDII scanner off Amazon only to find it wasn't compatible with my 2000 Codroba, even though it had the right shaped connector.

Is this VCDS what I should have got?

Anyone know what would work with a 2000 model that apparently is not OBDii compatible?

[mention]iammooks [/mention] has an older Leon, not sure if he has any tips here

VCDS is the best if you can afford it

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
[mention]iammooks [/mention] has an older Leon, not sure if he has any tips here

VCDS is the best if you can afford it

Older Leon - the cheek of it. Mine's a 2005!

The trouble is that even though the car is a 2005 reg, the vehicle itself dates back to 1999, and most of the OBD II scanners and readers I've tried can't communicate with cars older than around 2001.

It seems for some reason as well that it's easier to get an OBD II reader to work with a petrol engine than it is with a diesel.

In truth, I all but gave up. As time goes on though, I'm very tempted just to get my 2006 Windows XP laptop out of the attic and try using one of the CD/cable combos from eBay, because as far as I can see that's possibly the only way I'm going to be able to talk to my car.

If I'm going to have to cycle my ABS too, I'd sooner buy a cable and do it myself than pay a garage that doesn't really understand the car to do it.

Reactions: Connor H
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.