Enabling Wifi Client Mode in Ateca Navigation Plus Units made before week 22, 2017

Tell

Staff member
Following on from the thread

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=442330

where it became apparent that there is a missing menu option from Atecas Navigation Plus units made before wk 22 2017 which provide the car with a "client wifi option" so the Seat Media Control app can't be used with these cars or indeed Alexa when it's released. These instructions may also help people with the standard navigation but untested. The standard units are suppose to have WiFi on them but not enabled.

The Seat Media Control app demo shows two wifi menus, internet (client) and the car's mobile hot spot. The first edition Ateca's with Plus units prior to wk 22 2017 just allow the car to offer up it's own hot spot. This would be useful if the car had a SIM slot in it but it doesn't so the internet is not available to be accessed by the cars hot spot menu.

Image from Seat Media Control Apps:

u8nHScj.png

All the equipment is VAG group based with "Seat" adding / setting options in how the component parts work via customisation of control files. VAG cars delivered to some markets had Car Play turned Off and client wifi, so you can learn from internet posts on boards for other VAG cars. Via VCDS and OBDEleven people with their VAG nav high units enabled the components that VAG had turned off. The all important one is

WiFi_Client_HMI set to on

Below is how to turn it on in Obdeleven - see the linked post above with reference to an Audi forum for those that use VCDS.

The makers of OBDEleven have now enhanced the interface to the infotainment 5F unit for the Ateca providing controls that did not appear previously, fortunately the client mode can be turned on with the dongle.

The WiFi_Client_HMI setting is accessed via the 5F unit in the Adaptation 'Vehicle Configuration' menu - will provide full details in the OBDEleven thread:

pghQUWT.png

Setting to On and save.

PyJnQ7D.png

This swaps the existing Wifi menu from the car's hotspot to client mode with a new menu that indeed works :). You have to reboot the navigation unit for this to take effect - will provide full details in the OBDEleven thread. WLAN is tapped rather than "Internet Access Setting" as per the Seat Apps demo to make connection.

TC5w7TQ.jpg

Put your mobile / tablet into tethered hot spot mode and supply the car with the wifi key - you need to keep the USB cable into phone / tablet to retain the menu.
I didn't test the operation on external wifi signals. UPnP is suppose to be supported so in theory it should work with a home server for car washing etc. (Subsequently tested that and UPnP via an external network didn't work... least on my Asus router configuration with UPnP drive attached probably revolves around having the USB cable in the device as well that is the server)

SCUbJtw.jpg

Then the world of the Seat Media App becomes available linking Google apps including Map, Calendar, address book within Contacts to the cars infotainment system. The car's mapping favourites can also be selected from the app. You have to use it to understand it's uses thou. You can send the address held in the address book to the car's navigation, use a calandar entry or search Google for a map address.

ABNVXRv.png

The Google app in the Seat Media App doesn't login to your Google account as such so your Google "starred" places are not brought up, thus if you are using the app to feed the navigation coordinates into the car's infotainment system this must be done via a Google named POI or street address which Google recognises. You can't pass a coordinate via the "share" button of a mapping app directly to the Seat Media App since it's not seen via other mapping apps. Some limitations there.

On the plus side if you religiously enter valid Google addresses into Google Calendar on the device's future schedule (or keep them synched with other devices) then you can easily feed these destinations into the car's system via the app. These are accessed via "Appointments" in the Seat app. This method probably offers the best method of passing future destinations into the car planned in advance prior to getting into the car via the app. This method circumvents using the "thumb wheel" method of coordinate data entry in DMS or using the cars POI database. The latter can give issues if not listed or inaccurate. The former DMS input can be obtained via other mapping apps such as Map Coordinates and dialled in. The Seat Media App bypasses the need to dial in DMS.

Having got this working in an Ateca on a pre build week 22, 2017 Navigation Plus unit I've lost my car's hotspot menu. Favour to ask for anyone who has OBDEleven and the Navigation Plus with a build after week 22, 2017 so as to determine whether there are other parameters I need to bring up both WiFi menu ?. May be you don't get both WiFi options with car's built after week 22 and this is what Seat failed to implement in the early builds.

Looking at the videos of where this mod is made to Discover Pro units the menu result is similar and given a reboot is required, similar to household routers one suspects it either works in client mode or car's hotspot mode, not both together. Wifi_Hotspot parameter on. Client on, taking precedence over the cars hotspot on. If it was a SIM card based unit then something different perhaps may happen. Thus it would be true to say the first batch of these units in the Ateca, about nine months worth of production, were incorrectly set up. Still it would be good to see the Admap for an Ateca with the Mib2 High built after wk22 2017 just to confirm how they are currently shipping them.

Listed below is my complete 5F Vehicle Configuration settings:

oO4HD9P.png

FeB4Tn1.png

sRXCqXF.png

xxtWYKq.png

iTMS7pi.png

jCBvfGa.png

XaZj8XY.png

y0VKSsm.png

(I suspect there are other added value options in the menu to bring out other things - CarNet didn't work, didn't try out the Google Earth menu referenced on the other thread. 5Ghz band switch isn't one - that one doesn't do anything)

Helpfull Hint on Memory Management

The Media Seat app is about 330 megabytes on this bases it can take up a lot of space in your phone / tablet. With Android it is possible to move the app to an SD card via Settings, Apps, select Seat Media Control, Storage, Change.... can copy between main memory and SD card. Possible at time of update it may need to be swapped back... something to watch out for if the update doesn't work. Shifting the app onto the SD card frees up vital memory :).

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
As a footnote I do continue to read of wifi being in the standard unit Mib2, it's just not enabled. You can enable this via Obdeleven at least in Australia on Mib2 standard units and I know on Mib2 hacking threads the chipset is in the unit but not enabled. It might be that the standard mib2 people can actually use the Seat Media App, you don't possibly need a Mib2 High for that (a Plus unit). You Mib2 Standard people may find other functionality locked down on the wifi side via a FEC key that you can't do anything about (Upnp). Basically more recently the Obdeleven got upgraded to give improved controls over the infotainment system.

I have not as yet got round to seeing whether the Mib2 High sees Galileo satellite constellation via toggling off the other satellite groups (being a bit risk adverse as to whether the Obdeleven would run them back on again). I guess it does since it does see a lot of satellites these days....

Last edited:

Samsonite

Jun 25, 2018
Tell when you connect via wifi presumably it uses your phone's data right?

In my misus q2 you can chose to use Google maps and stuff to navigate and the MMI days 'online' in the corner of the screen but phone isn't connected yo car or anything so not using the phones data.

Tell

Staff member
It uses the phones data and you have to have the USB lead in to access wifi. The cars menu won't appear if the USB lead isn't in irrespective of whether the Seat Navi app is launched.

The Ateca Mib2 High (Plus) doesn't have a SIM card slot so it gets the data as a client. It should connect to other hotspots and I reckon if I connected it up to my home wifi I'd get my home media server on it. This functionality which they had left off the menu till wk22, 2017 which I got via enabling with Obdeleven.

Standard Mib2 people if they enable it I don't think they would get the media server to work since they need a SWAP / FEC registered but they would get the navi app working. WiFi chip is on all units.

There is Google Maps toggle in the Obdeleven setup it's probably has Google software dormant in it. I haven't tried. Carnet didn't work.

Reactions: Samsonite

Samsonite

Jun 25, 2018
Thanks tell interesting to know. All i am really looking for is the abiloity to send an address to the car via Google maps on my laptop like I used to do with my old e92 bmw. My dad's going to be using the car when it finally arrives and not being the most tech savvy, I've managed to train him in the ways of Google maps so it's what he knows best.

Tell

Staff member
Yes you can do that with the Android app on those identified in Google as Google Poi's. That's what I was testing out. You can build those up in the Google Calandar and pick them up as navigation destinations once you get to the car.

Other than that I dial them in on the map thumb wheel taking the DMS from the Android app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sands.mapCoordinates.android&hl=en_GB

That gives you maximum precision to get exactly to the entrance of car parks etc or I do the POI Import of favourites taking the decimal degrees from the app above. The output coordinates can be toggled. That I do for places I go to regularly. Once imported, pick them off and store as a destination. That way you see them on the map as well. I plug that app a lot since it also accesses Openstreet so you have the best of both worlds.

Samsonite

Jun 25, 2018
Yes you can do that with the Android app on those identified in Google as Google Poi's. That's what I was testing out. You can build those up in the Google Calandar and pick them up as navigation destinations once you get to the car.

Other than that I dial them in on the map thumb wheel taking the DMS from the Android app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sands.mapCoordinates.android&hl=en_GB

That gives you maximum precision to get exactly to the entrance of car parks etc or I do the POI Import of favourites taking the decimal degrees from the app above. The output coordinates can be toggled. That I do for places I go to regularly. Once imported, pick them off and store as a destination. That way you see them on the map as well. I plug that app a lot since it also accesses Openstreet so you have the best of both worlds.
Thanks tell :)

JJ_ateca

Jul 2, 2018
Hello guys!

I was hoping that this hack will finally give me the option to use "Android Auto" like "Android Auto WiFi", so without any usb cable connection between the phone and a car.
I successfully get a WiFi clinet mode, but still Android Auto refuse to work without a cable.

So hope remains :)

Tell

Staff member
No it needs the cable to stir up the cars wifi menu. I havent tested whether that effect comes in if you plug in any old smart phone without wifi or its using the wifi in the phone. I assumed it was using the wifi in the infortainment unit but still needed to be plugged in to stir up the cars menu.

Was that a standard unit where you got the wifi client activated.

JJ_ateca

Jul 2, 2018
Sorry, @Tell, I'm talking about "Andorid auto Wireless", not "Android auto Wifi". My error.
The application already support an usage with a WiFi only (without any cable). So I'm looking for a way to make this work in my Ateca too.

Please look at this video:

Tell

Staff member
That would be a new infotainment unit or an update I guess.

The Seat Media App according to Scrogg several months back is going to be updated so you can do the Alexa stuff but then that got delayed. Then I discovered that I wouldn't be able to do it on mine due to the build date... that's when I looked into whether I could enable the client wifi so I could use the media app as present. There was always documentation issue between the car and the unit so Seat clearly shipped cars with the Mib2 High with a missing menu. Got that back. As all or most VAG stuff it's customisable between brands so you can get things working in a Seat as they do in another VAG brand as long as the software is present / FEC license if it needs one etc. Upsets those brand guys :banghead::banghead2 Or those people that say no you can't do that with the Ateca... oh yes you can:footysup:.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I see the Seat Media App with Alexa has now been released as was said by Scroggs was going to happen. Google Play stores seems to have a lot of negative reviews. A complaint seem to be the missing WLAN menu.... cause this thread could be the answer. I guess Mib2 Standard people have to turn it on as alluded to, that it's in the standard unit but not turned on. Since I haven't got the standard unit can't experiment. If it's a Plus (Mib2 High) then it's the build date issue. Using Obdeleven etc you can make that change as per thread.

As before, a big app that needs moving onto the microSD chip. I'll give the new app a whirl and report back. I don't use Alexa myself... so L plates :). 4G is rubbish round here so not sure I'll get a signal on the drive. I know these connected people but living it hills you're disconnected and rely on rural broadband masts on your house :).

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I've got a seat on order due December. Those who have received MY19 deliveries so far have found that the WLAN feature now comes as standard.

The Alexa app has been available for a couple of months but not heard of many using it.

Not sure what SEAT skills have been added to make it more useful for the car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
OK I updated to Version Media Controller 1.0.5 Media Contr, previous was 2.38.0, hmm interesting release numbering within the software... although Google says they were 1.8 for the latest and 1.6 for the one I was running before. So that doesn't fill you with confidence.

Using the latest one off line it shows Alexa icon added along with the other controls as before, playing media, navigation etc. I set it up. Going back to what's wrong with it previously I noted that you didn't actually login to Google Maps with your Google ID thus all your favourite places from Google are not shown so it's an adjunct of Google Maps to the cars system but doesn't integrate with Google Maps fully. If you religiously use Google Calendar and set the address of the event based on Google Maps you can side step this issue by taking the destination from the devices calender. No change there.

Connecting up to the car, that's when it gets interesting, only Alexa icon is shown for me, the media you have on the car or the navigation screens as the off line version are missing. I ask Alexa to navigate to London and yes it finds London on the car's navigation system and begins to navigate me to London (a big place). Suspect it would have taken a detailed address.

It can tell me the temperature and time locally. It knows where I am. It can play the Beatles off Amazon Music and Public Service Broadcasting on the cars system with graphics icon but it still won't show me the screens it had before on the tablet or those on the offline version. It's connecting to the car fine. It doesn't know the engine temperature, I'm Sorry (or something).

Thus I suspect it's a faulty version they rolled out which defaults to the Alexa menu only. I don't believe it's my Seat Plus unit that's the issue unless they have it working with standard units but not for the Plus units. The previous version still works but doesn't gave Alexa.

Might need to experiment more. The bottom line of the app shows three icons, use as driver, use as passenger and offline from the car. Wondering now whether in their wisdom Seat took away the other screens if you use it as the driver so you only get Alexa. Will report back :).

The Google Play reviews contain a lot where people have tried to use it on cars where the wifi function isn't enabled so they can be discounted. The old app invites you to update to the new or continue as is. Apart from testing the app per this thread, I don't use it myself. Interested to hear whether anybody sees something I'm not seeing.

Seat apps don't fill me with confidence. If I was the VAG group, I'd do all software development centrally and not have the subsidiary brands developing software. That way we'd get quality VW software rather than half finished stuff or more chance of a finished product.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Day 2 of this revised app. There is a secret with this app and its to side swipe I am a passenger if in Driver mode or click I'm a passenger to see the previous screens. They are suppressed if you are a driver for safety reasons. Yep so that's why it didn't appear to be working too well on day 1.

Also the app works on a home wifi networl by connecting the car and device to your network. Got UPnP working this way. The Seat Media App appears to be happy this way if 3G / 4G is problematic at home. It also seems to work without the USB lead plugged - required his before for the car menu via a mobiles hotspot. Best to keep it plugged in thou for on the move use.

The Seat Navigation Plus came with a UPnP media player, the previous offering of the standard unit didn't have this licensed although the Wifi could be turned on via OBDEleven / VCDS etc as per this thread. The 2018 standard navigation model based on the Ateca 2018 manual now has UPnP.

Where's the nearest pub resulted in playing a selection of Amazon Music !. Alexa is like a hard of hearing relative....

Alexa "things to try" hints in the Seat Media App (shows the Alexa icon which wasn't in the previous release):

6YTigAj.png

1twKA8P.png

TvYQEBi.png

Krs9yxZ.png

PPxMpz0.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Lmbarrett83
Oct 29, 2019
Hello everyone!

My 2018 Seat Leon 1.0 TSI Ecomotive has an H30 multimedia head unit.

Before ordering OBDEleven I would like to find out- Is it possible that I can also turn on Wifi client mode on my H30 unit? And if I manage to turn on Wifi, will it be possible to use AndroidAuto wirelessly?

Tell

Staff member
Hello everyone!

My 2018 Seat Leon 1.0 TSI Ecomotive has an H30 multimedia head unit.

Before ordering OBDEleven I would like to find out- Is it possible that I can also turn on Wifi client mode on my H30 unit? And if I manage to turn on Wifi, will it be possible to use AndroidAuto wirelessly?

The story goes all of the mib2s have the Wi-Fi chipset in them which was available before Seat officially offered it. You would have to put the infotainment unit into developers mode via Obdeleven and see whether you can find the settings. I was trying to encourage people to check but nobody did... or said so.

You might be able to change the settings without doing that. The instruction covered here enables the client mode menu which was a suppressed menu in the My16 Atecas Plus model. My18 is when they finally sorted out the Ateca menu to work with Alexa Seat app. I had it working before via this method on a Plus unit then when I had retrofit My18 / My19 software installed the menus changed slightly to look identical to the ones documented in the Seat app.

So I think for you it's an experiment if it's not a Wi-Fi enabled unit to see whether you can turn that on via Obdeleven. Android Auto needs the USB data link to work although I have read talk about developments that don't, but suspect they are not here yet especially on Seat.

Obdeleven is very good in any case. You need the programming version of it rather than the one that just runs the app. The Pro once off license will give you all the things you can do basically in VCDS but in a lower cost and portable form. I suspect there is a slight gamble on getting the Wi-Fi turned on. Depends whether the chipset is in there and the firmware has the screens to support it. Suck it and see approach.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.