Arosa Garaged for over a week...Help!

Rhian

Where do i start...

My little orange Seat Arosa 1.4 SE (2000 W) reg has been in my local garage for over a week now. It wont start from cold and i have to seriously rev it for it to start but it shoots up to 3-4000rpm then gets back down to 1000 and cuts out. After i've done this a few times and warm the engine up it judders but still works...just! The garage can't figure out whats causing it apart from the fact that is doesnt tick over properly. The management of the car has no faults. The amount of stuff they've put on it and taken off again is ridiculous probably about £500 worth.

They are having one last stab with it on monday but if they still can't figure it out i dont know what to do except take it down the SEAT dealership and see what they say.

Has anyone heard of this happening before whether it was to theres or a friends? What was causing it and can it be fixed?

Help me please

Rhian
<x>

P.S Just seen this in a previous thread written by lunalupi

"Arosa have a common idle problem which is cause by the throttle body (under the air box) clogging up with oil residue. They have another common problem of 'mayonaise' under the oil filler cap, which, as Martin said, is usually caused by lots of small journeys."

Could this be whats happend to mine??

Last edited by a moderator:

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Hello :)

It could be contributing to it, but yours sounds much more severe - the idle problem is generally the revs 'hunting' at idle.

Someone on clublupo had a similar problem with his diesel Lupo. I'll see if I can find the thread....

Rhian

Hello :)

It could be contributing to it, but yours sounds much more severe - the idle problem is generally the revs 'hunting' at idle.

Someone on clublupo had a similar problem with his diesel Lupo. I'll see if I can find the thread....

If you could that would be very helpful! Can you remember what happened and what he had to have done?

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I can't find the post but I've found a few usefull bits.

But lets start with what you're had done already, and what has been checked.

Rhian

erm...that might be quite hard as my tech talk isnt very good but from what i know:

oil filter
spark plugs
lamda sensor and bits associated with the contaminated petrol
some leads and cables?
a coil of some sort??

A few others as like i said, i dont understand half the stuff he said!

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Lamda sensor is in your exhaust - it measures the fumes coming out and adjusts things accordingly.

Leads and cables are probably HT leads (sometimes called ignition leads?)

Coil - only think I can think of that being is a coilpack, but I didn't think Arosas had one! But then mine is very basic so I don't know much about the details of the newer engines :)

Its probably worth making sure the garage have cleaned the throttle body. Get them to disconnect the battery, and remove it for a proper clean - this has the helpful side effect of resetting the ECU which can help fix some problems.

Also, have they changed the fuel filter, or checked that fuel is actually reaching the engine? Sounds silly, but maybe something is blocked....same goes for the air intakes too...

Rhian

I'm not sure but something to suggest tomorrow when i go down there!

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow and try and take in and remember more of what he tells me!

P.S it had a new batt fitted probably about 9/10 months ago, would they have noticed if it was clogged then?

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
See if they can write everything down for you! If its a big list, you're sure to forget something - I know I would if it was more than a couple of bits.... :)

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
now that nicola mentioned the hunting problem i remember a bit more

the ECU controls the idle revs and for some reason ( forgotten why ) it keeps "hunting" for the right rev for it to sit at and just bounces up and down and sometimes cuts out . i am sure it was VWRlupo that had the problem aka luke

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I had it...but it was always happy to start, just not happy to idle properly....

The problem mine had was that a motor in the throttle body was breaking, which meant it couldn't adjust the butterfly valve properly for idle speeds - as mine was cable driven it drove perfectly normally.
I think a W reg would be the same....

Thats one cause, I think another is the actual sensor itself which monitors the valve breaking....

edit: It would also happen more when it was warm than when it was cold. This sounds like something else.

Craig, do you remember that guy on clublupo who was having major starting and cutting out problems with his diesel Lupo? Can't find the thread, and can't remember what solved it in the end?

Jochen

Arosa running problem

Hi,

Could be your coolant temp sender! Very common problem, normally gives wrong temp signal to e.c.u, but will not register fault. when checked on diag machine it shows -19 degrees when it is 20 so it floods engine with fuel.
Worth trying new one as they are only about £20.
Jochen.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise