Arosa MkI courtesy light sensor?

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Hi Gang,
My missus's 1999 (pre face lift) 1.0 Arosa has recently decided to no longer switch on the courtesy light when the driver's door i open - works fine for the passenger door.

It is the very basic trim version with no central locking or electric windows - ie manual locking on both doors by key.

My question is - where in the name of all that is good is the switch/sensor fitted that announces to the courtesy light that the door is open ?

There isn't a simple contact switch on the door or pillar anywhere, and as there are no electrics in the door (other than one speaker) i doubt it is an electic switch on the locking mechanism internally.

Is it something to do with the strange oval shaped black rubbery thing on the sill which the strange metal finger thing fits into when the door is closed ? Like a hall effect sensor or something ? That would seem very posh for a very basic car, but who knows?

If anyone can help point me towards the item which needs replacing, i would really appreciate it before the dark winter approaches once again.

Thanks!

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
The black oval is just a 'location pin'.

I believe that unfortunately for you the sensor for the light is in the door catch....

You could try checking the plugs - they are behind the trim at the bottom of the dashboard. It may have been knocked loose, although this should also stop the speakers working.

s10mph

VAG car nut
Mar 1, 2008
Thundersley
No simple switch like on other cars. It's in the door position sensor which is inside the door casing behind the external door handle. Inside the Door position sensor are a few microswitches mounted on a PCB, the common fault with these are cracked PCB.s or terminals. Mine does the same as yours. Allow a day to fix this yourself.

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Thanks for the help guys!

You were right - while I had the lower door card off yesterday to change the door strap (to get rid of clunk-clunk-clunk sound when opening door) I noticed the neatly hidden wiring loom which runs all the way back tot he inner door locking mechanism - i fumbled around a bit intil I could pull off the wire' spade connector, sprayed loads of wd40 / 3in1 ip there, and pushe dit on/off abotu 10 yime s- and now it works ! Just corrosion over 10 year sof damp and winter salt has caused a loss of contact it seems, all Ok again now.:clap: