Attending a Trackday?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Well, at least it can't be said he wasn't trying. Just one of them things, gotta warm things up, then hit it when it feels comfortable.

I've only been there twice and it's not my favorite track too be honest, as just too long to learn in one or two visits especially when your car breaks at the beginning of the day! Expect he's got it fixed now. You boys got any other dates planned? I've got 6th July at Brands for the day and 9th September at Snetterton for the day (come along to Snett on 9th if you want, places still available).
Brands Indy is soooo short.
Would kill to do the GP circuit.
Love snet.
Bedford is really long. Want to do short course there one day. I agree, It’s about a mile too long on the gt course. Takes for ever to catch people up. Etc.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: vwtrev

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Doing my first track day at Trac mon on Monday with open track in my std carbon edition,really looking forward to it.

Have a great time.
Build up the pace.
Warm tyres first with one or two laps. Then check pressures.
Watch for brake fade. Don’t know how good standard pads will do out there.
Although my pal ran standard pads at Brands Indy on his 300 st and it did pretty well.

Reactions: Degs

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
Have a great time.
Build up the pace.
Warm tyres first with one or two laps. Then check pressures.
Watch for brake fade. Don’t know how good standard pads will do out there.
Although my pal ran standard pads at Brands Indy on his 300 st and it did pretty well.

Thanks, got the brembo brakes on mine so hopefully be ok 👍

Reactions: Sparkie

dacarch501

Jun 15, 2021
Hello all,

Just had a Track Day last Friday with my stock 2018 Cupra ST 300 (manual-shift) here in Germany at the Hockenheimring. Was really looking forward to using my new Michelin semi-slicks (Pilot Sport Cup2) on OZ Racing rims, but the weather forecast called for rain. It turned out that the rain stayed away, so all I did was erase the lettering of my Continental stock tires. Oh well, next time.

I did quite a few track-day events in the US (South Florida: Homestead Speedway, Moroso Motorsports Park, and Sebring) on a 2005 MINI Cooper S, and now with almost twice the power on my Cupra here in Germany. Here I have been also to the Nordschleife (Green Hell) but on a rented Turbo Suzuki Swift from Rent4Ring (highly recommend it), but will give it a go on my own car sometime soon.

My local track (Hockenheimring) offers Touristenfahren, also known as every man for himself, (where you drive alongside GT3RS's and the occasional van) on a regular basis for two 15 minute sessions for €50, also run during the pandemic earlier this year.

I wanted to hear from other track-minded people which mods are better (in your opinion) for a fast Seat without breaking the bank. I use my car as a family car during the week, so it can't be a beast all the time.

At the moment I am looking at upgrading my clutch to a Sachs Performance (had a clutch issue last time out... see clutch-not-rebounding-during-track-day) and Installing the REVO Stage 1. I have stock brakes (not Brembo) which at the least I would like to upgrade the pads... any ideas?

would appreciate any input...

Cheers,

dan

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hello all,

Just had a Track Day last Friday with my stock 2018 Cupra ST 300 (manual-shift) here in Germany at the Hockenheimring. Was really looking forward to using my new Michelin semi-slicks (Pilot Sport Cup2) on OZ Racing rims, but the weather forecast called for rain. It turned out that the rain stayed away, so all I did was erase the lettering of my Continental stock tires. Oh well, next time.

I did quite a few track-day events in the US (South Florida: Homestead Speedway, Moroso Motorsports Park, and Sebring) on a 2005 MINI Cooper S, and now with almost twice the power on my Cupra here in Germany. Here I have been also to the Nordschleife (Green Hell) but on a rented Turbo Suzuki Swift from Rent4Ring (highly recommend it), but will give it a go on my own car sometime soon.

My local track (Hockenheimring) offers Touristenfahren, also known as every man for himself, (where you drive alongside GT3RS's and the occasional van) on a regular basis for two 15 minute sessions for €50, also run during the pandemic earlier this year.

I wanted to hear from other track-minded people which mods are better (in your opinion) for a fast Seat without breaking the bank. I use my car as a family car during the week, so it can't be a beast all the time.

At the moment I am looking at upgrading my clutch to a Sachs Performance (had a clutch issue last time out... see clutch-not-rebounding-during-track-day) and Installing the REVO Stage 1. I have stock brakes (not Brembo) which at the least I would like to upgrade the pads... any ideas?

would appreciate any input...

Cheers,

dan

Nice car.
Sounds great. Would love to do Hockenheimring.
My buddy uses his 300st on track and recently upgraded his discs to Brembo Xtreme I think they are called.
If not I’ll find out. They are drilled discs.
He also went forFerodo DS2500 pads and has been really impressed with them over the stock set up.
Don’t think he has the brembo calipers though.

dacarch501

Jun 15, 2021
Just got a Hero 8 Black (GoPro) and will test it (with side helmet mount) on my next track day coming up.
I Will post on youtube if possible (and share a link here for those interested).

Any tips on capturing sound?
Has Anyone tried other mounts on track?... for example a suction mount either on the side or on the lower front next to the sensor?

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Just got a Hero 8 Black (GoPro) and will test it (with side helmet mount) on my next track day coming up.
I Will post on youtube if possible (and share a link here for those interested).

Has Anyone tried other mounts on track?... for example a suction mount either on the side or on the lower front next to the sensor?
Hi, I use a Hero 4 session and for sound capture, the internal microphone is great (as is the video quality). Inside the car is fine for sound but outside, I'm looking into windshields as it does get affected on my brothers kitcar.

Suction mounts are ok but need cable ties for extra protection from losing your expensive camera.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex

If locating the camera outside buy a wind cover for it. Makes a big difference.
I have a mount screwed to my bumper just above the splitter. Then with a tether going to the tow hook. Great view.

Helmet mounts are actually banned on trackdays.

dacarch501

Jun 15, 2021
If locating the camera outside buy a wind cover for it. Makes a big difference.
I have a mount screwed to my bumper just above the splitter. Then with a tether going to the tow hook. Great view.

Helmet mounts are actually banned on trackdays.
I wonder if that is also the case here in Germany... I will plan for that and have an alternative just in case. Thanks for the heads up! The track officials on these short events I attend (Hockenheimring) seem quite uninterested in general, as long as you have your wristband you are good to go. I can imagine in a track club situation (which I plan to join next year) it would be different.

Yes (@vwtrev & Sparkie) a windshield is on my list of things to get but first will have to figure out the best mounting and tethering part. Any issues with small debris like flying rocks hitting the lens? Should I also get an extra protective cover for it? Last time out I was having fun with a BMW that I noticed had a consistent race-line and brake point. We started passing each other and generally driving quite close, which should look awesome with a low camera.

This is me testing the headband view:
headband.PNG

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I wonder if that is also the case here in Germany... I will plan for that and have an alternative just in case. Thanks for the heads up! The track officials on these short events I attend (Hockenheimring) seem quite uninterested in general, as long as you have your wristband you are good to go. I can imagine in a track club situation (which I plan to join next year) it would be different.

Yes (@vwtrev & Sparkie) a windshield is on my list of things to get but first will have to figure out the best mounting and tethering part. Any issues with small debris like flying rocks hitting the lens? Should I also get an extra protective cover for it? Last time out I was having fun with a BMW that I noticed had a consistent race-line and brake point. We started passing each other and generally driving quite close, which should look awesome with a low camera.

This is me testing the headband view:
View attachment 25944

It does look a good view from helmet.
Forgot you were in Germany.

Yes I put a protective lens cover over mine and it took a hit and got cut but the picture was clear and the GoPro lens was perfect too.
Worth it for a couple of euros.

dacarch501

Jun 15, 2021
Here is a short video (6:28) recently uploaded from last Saturday here in Germany...
First time out with a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. The tires needed a few laps to start bitting, but then... let's just say I had some serious fun.
Oh, filmed with a GoPro (side helmet).
Hockenheimring

Reactions: vwtrev and Degs

dacarch501

Jun 15, 2021
Thanks vwtrev , yes, there is some telemetry info like G-force, Oil and Coolant Temperature (shown on video) + others, as well as a Lap-Timer (which I did not use). I did catch other (non-Porsche) cars, including a Maseratti, and that one I had to pass at a curve while braking and sliding... probably the scariest moment of the day. That video I will upload soon, which is the second part mentioned.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Yup, reviving this one as just booked my first full trackday for next year (done sessions but never an open pit lane)

Nice. You’ll have a blast. Which track?
Just build up over few laps.
Don’t forget tyres stone cold in this weather.
2 of my spins have been on frosty rubber!!

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
as Sparkie said above, cold tyres plus a wet / cold / damp track make it challenging but go out and find yourself then push a bit more each time you go out.

not got anything myself booked for next year yet, I normally wait for the Boxing Day sales from Opentrack before I book, but I’ve got my eye on Oulton on Feb 25th!!

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Bedford, doing the GT layout. They currently have Jan 31st for £89 so it was too good to pass up

As for tyres, yeah, learned that one on a bike on Silverstone GP. It’s something coming up to Brooklands first lap and swearing repeatedly to myself as cold brakes and tyres were making life… exciting 🤣

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
The current situation on discounts for Trackday companies:

- Javelin Trackdays have 10% off all next year's dates + you get back 5% on each booking you make (as credit for a future event).

- MSV have a good deal on where you can buy £500 credit and get £600 (so effectively get 20% extra off each booking made in that credit / 20% extra free) and they give you 10% off each of your 3rd bookings with them (6th, 9th, etc.).

- OpenTrack (Dave) has already announced there will be a boxing day sale on his events (normally 10% I think).

- Circuit-Days seem to have a discount running on their website till Jan 1st 2021 but their prices are a bit high to start with so....

- Track Obsession had a Black Friday thing (past now).

booking with an agent site (Motorsportdays.co.uk, Trackdays.co.uk) doesn't seem to carry across the discount prices at the moment, so go direct.

Please feel free to add others I don't know of / update this list

Trev.

Reactions: Sparkie