Attending a Trackday?

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Hi, surprised to not see a dedicated Track Day discussion thread on this forum so thought I would start one, as on my trackday travels I sometimes meet other Leon Cupra R owners and thought it would be interesting to know who is going where, beforehand, so we could say hi when there easier or even have the information to consider booking on the same event as another SCN member / share a garage / get a group discount (for 5 or more at some events)

Of course, i'm not limiting this to just Leon Cupra R owners, it would be great to meet any SCN members, there are some quick Ibiza's out there too.

To get the ball rolling: i'm traveling to Brands Hatch on June 23rd 2017 for a full day of fun in my mk1 Leon Cupra R. It's a Burton Power day so should be a few Fords I can show up :)

Trev.

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi. I'm keen to start doing a few track days when my car is back on the road.
Looked at a few companies. Read a few reviews. Very mixed messages.
Some say great day. Some say poor marshalling and people practicing for races the next day ruined their days. With 20 min wait in pit lane etc. Loonies diving up the inside of you while turning in etc.
Which companies offer the best events.
Would I be better off on a rookie day or an open track day?
Both have pros and cons I'm sure.
Lastly what do I need to do o prep the car. I don't have a catch can or baffled sump which I know helps on track.
Ah. One more thing. Noise limits. I'm having a custom 3" turbo back made. Resonated because I want it to go on track. Do you guys have problems with db readings?

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Hi, based on my 17 trackday experiences over the last 3 years, in different cars and a now empty wallet....

Looked at a few companies. Read a few reviews. Very mixed messages

-- I've used: OpenTrack.co.uk, has always been very well organised and offers free photos in the price + was slightly cheaper than the rest till this year.
MSVtrackdays.com, always found them to be well organised also.
Javelin.co.uk, only done two with them but same as the others well organised and no complaints, I like the fact you can see on their website who's already booked on the event and the cars they are taking.
Circuits-Days.co.uk, one one event with them and was organised fine.
I've only done Brands Hatch and Snetterton so can't comment on other tracks. One point I would say is I feel that with MSV and Circuit Days you get a 'lot of Money' cars. Where as the other two you get more normal level of car, but that's not saying anything about the people I find 95% are really nice and you can talk to anyone in their garage (just don't try talking to someone on a race team as you generally get a 'who are you' look).
I would also suggest looking at TrackDays.co.uk who list the majority (but not all) of every trackday out there.

-- My advice on choosing: choose your date and see who's running it at what price, then include the price of Garage hire, Passenger cost, etc, as some charge £20 for an extra driver and an other charges £30, same with garage hire.

Some say great day. Some say poor marshalling and people practicing for races the next day ruined their days. With 20 min wait in pit lane etc. Loonies diving up the inside of you while turning in etc.

-- Both Snetterton and Brands are run by MSV, even if another company runs the event. The marshals, etc. all work for MSV so you never see a difference in this area, in my experience. I have shared the track with some fast cars, including Mat Jackson testing his Focus in the past but you just move over and let them past, remember it's a Trackday not a test day, they have the same rules as you (and this is pointed out in the briefing), if they want a test day they can pay double money for a test day.

Which companies offer the best events.
-- see above

Would I be better off on a rookie day or an open track day?

-- if you've never done a trackday before yes, do a few evening events then do a novice event then when you start complaining about how slow other drivers are or how they don't pull over then you're ready for a general / road car only Trackday. I found as I moved on to General Trackdays the driving got better and pretty much everyone understands we are all out there to lap as fast as we want.

Lastly what do I need to do to prep the car. I don't have a catch can or baffled sump which I know helps on track.

-- for starters, check, if not change, the Oil, brake fluid, tyre condition and pressures and general car condition. Go have fun, you will gradually start to think what else you need to buy and once you see how much it's all going to cost decide whether to ask us more questions on tyres / baffled sumps, etc. :)

Ah. One more thing. Noise limits. I'm having a custom 3" turbo back made. Resonated because I want it to go on track. Do you guys have problems with db readings?

-- nope my 2.75" (i think) Turbo back Milltek has sports cats and is non-resonated, records at 88 dB. My brothers Subaru running big power and drainpipe exhaust has need wire wool before but look at the quoted limits as they change per day / venue. Your probably be ok with the 1.8T engine and a resonated section.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi, based on my 17 trackday experiences over the last 3 years, in different cars and a now empty wallet....

Looked at a few companies. Read a few reviews. Very mixed messages

-- I've used: OpenTrack.co.uk, has always been very well organised and offers free photos in the price + was slightly cheaper than the rest till this year.

MSVtrackdays.com, always found them to be well organised also.

Javelin.co.uk, only done two with them but same as the others well organised and no complaints, I like the fact you can see on their website who's already booked on the event and the cars they are taking.

Circuits-Days.co.uk, one one event with them and was organised fine.

I've only done Brands Hatch and Snetterton so can't comment on other tracks. One point I would say is I feel that with MSV and Circuit Days you get a 'lot of Money' cars. Where as the other two you get more normal level of car, but that's not saying anything about the people I find 95% are really nice and you can talk to anyone in their garage (just don't try talking to someone on a race team as you generally get a 'who are you' look).

I would also suggest looking at TrackDays.co.uk who list the majority (but not all) of every trackday out there.

-- My advice on choosing: choose your date and see who's running it at what price, then include the price of Garage hire, Passenger cost, etc, as some charge £20 for an extra driver and an other charges £30, same with garage hire.

Thanks for the reply.
That's very informative. Loads to look into.
Saw one at castle Combe with only 36 cars and 12 on track at any one time. Long way from me but a novice day. Sounds like a good way to start off. Plenty of free Tarmac on 1.85 miles.

Car is in good shape. Brand new discs ds2500's 660rbf braided lines.
Fresh oil and filter, plugs, new yokohama flevas.
Induction kit and heat shield. Badger5 tip. Exhaust next week. Custom Turbo back resonated job.
If I can fit it in a map from AMD next month too.
Dying to put it on a track and wind it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irf

Feb 5, 2014
You'll probably melt those tyres.

Castle Combe probably isn't the best track for a novice (not much run off) and has 25% of uk track accidents at i think quarry corner. Going there on Friday:D

I'd personally not do brands Indy again, it's such a smal track and you're always catching people up or being caught. Not a problem in itself but I find a lot of people won't move over very quickly or at all especially if you're in a car that "should" be slower. Got painful at times.

I would (and did) put a fmic on before a map especially on track. Temps get very high. Also, having something to monitor your oil would be a good idea.

If you do go on track and it's your first time, take it easy at first and build up gradually. Don't do too many laps a time once, I'd stick with an absolute max of 10 minutes out then cool down lap trying not to even touch th brakes and then in. Just as important, get tuition at the track if it's offered. Invaluable.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex

Castle Combe probably isn't the best track for a novice (not much run off) and has 25% of uk track accidents at i think quarry corner. Going there on Friday:D

I'd personally not do brands Indy again, it's such a smal track and you're always catching people up or being caught. Not a problem in itself but I find a lot of people won't move over very quickly or at all especially if you're in a car that "should" be slower. Got painful at times.

I would (and did) put a fmic on before a map especially on track. Temps get very high. Also, having something to monitor your oil would be a good idea.

If you do go on track and it's your first time, take it easy at first and build up gradually. Don't do too many laps a time once, I'd stick with an absolute max of 10 minutes out then cool down lap trying not to even touch th brakes and then in. Just as important, get tuition at the track if it's offered. Invaluable.

Castle Combe sounds like a car killer!
May have to rethink that option.
Yes I had heard to do 8 to 10 mins. Then bring in to cool down. And Don't pull handbrake!
I was worried about oil temps being sky high.
Thanks for the advice.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom

second all that, good points, although the point about the FMIC I find an interesting one, partly because I work in the same building as the company that makes the radiators for the Mclaren F1 team but FMIC for and against is another forum topic :whistle: . I'm running the twin standard front mounts and never had any heat issues even last week when the outside temperature was 24 degrees and I was on track for around 20 minutes a go, but im only running 245 bhp plus have removed the spotlights and lower grilles. My Brake fluid thats another matter.

I agree your point on Brands on occasion too but last week only 20 cars booked! as was over priced to be honest, had the track to myself most of the day.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
I'm sure you have far far more knowledge then me but in my mind more boost equals more heat.

Never really had an issue with fluid though, rbf660, carbotech xp12s and tt rs brake ducts. I tend to find the pedal goes slightly longer early on but then stays the same regardless of how much stick it gets with no loss of power. Does get changed very regularly though.

Would love to drive brands half empty! Been there I think 4 times and it just wasn't worth it.

Last edited:

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
I'm sure you have far far more knowledge then me but in my mind more boost equals more heat.

Never really had an issue with fluid though, rbf660, carbotech xp12s and tt rs brake ducts. I tend to find the pedal goes slightly longer early on but then stays the same regardless of how much stick it gets with no loss of power. Does get changed very regularly though.

Would love to drive brands half empty! Been there I think 4 times and it just wasn't worth it.

Nah, im not a thermal dynamics engineer, I have friends who are, but you are right more boost = more heat due to the compression of the air, but I'll be honest I still want to fit a FMIC when funds suffice as I am quite interested in if it would allow more boost, but that also depends on the turbo running out of breath ultimately.

Interesting to hear both your setups, Sparkie, looks like you starting off with some good equipment bolted on.

IRF, your setup is better than mine, even in your signature pic your car looks good, i've got XP10's and currently RBF600, and i've never been happy with the fluid but love the pads.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Interesting to hear both your setups, Sparkie, looks like you starting off with some good equipment bolted on.

IRF, your setup is better than mine, even in your signature pic your car looks good, i've got XP10's and currently RBF600, and i've never been happy with the fluid but love the pads.

Thanks bud. Long time coming. Thought it should stop well before adding more power.
Found out this week it's on shorter springs, as it was on the ramp I noticed red springs but can't find a name or I'd number. Still It sits nicely and rides well.
IRF's sig pic rocks.
Have either of you done away with the sound insulation under the bonnet.
Must save a couple of kgs!
There's a question. Do you know how much weight needs to be saved in order to effect performance. Heard a figure awhile back that it was 20 kgs before you see a very slight gain anywhere?
I was wondering the weight of the bonnet and the weight of a carbon fibre version etc.
Not to go and buy but out of interest.

Back to the track, what is a good track day tire? No clue about this. TBH.
I get super sticky semi slick is good in the heat and lasts 5 mins. But general British weather?

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Personal thing but on this car I'm leaving the bonnet insulator in. On a previous car, think it was my Volvo 850 t5, I had it off but the bonnet would get hot and then steam on rainy days. Actual smoke would come off it. Did allow more engine noise to come through though.

Wrt tyres, I've heard very good things about Yokohama advan ad08s. They're not an all out semi slick but kind of between a proper semi and summer tyre so last a decent time, work well in the wet and won't melt on track. Not used myself but definetly a tyre I'd consider.

I've used federal rsr and they were good, grip well in the dry, last well and you can just abuse the **** out of them. But shite in the rain and sometimes have an issue of delaminating!

What I did was buy some 17" Audi wheels that I knew would fit over the brembos and then by chance someone I knew was selling his r888s. They were the wrong size being 215/45/17s whereas I wanted 225s but they were cheap and new enough that I took the risk. Worked out and will probably be for sale come Saturday if you're interested.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Personal thing but on this car I'm leaving the bonnet insulator in. On a previous car, think it was my Volvo 850 t5, I had it off but the bonnet would get hot and then steam on rainy days. Actual smoke would come off it. Did allow more engine noise to come through though.

Wrt tyres, I've heard very good things about Yokohama advan ad08s. They're not an all out semi slick but kind of between a proper semi and summer tyre so last a decent time, work well in the wet and won't melt on track. Not used myself but definetly a tyre I'd consider.

I've used federal rsr and they were good, grip well in the dry, last well and you can just abuse the **** out of them. But shite in the rain and sometimes have an issue of delaminating!

What I did was buy some 17" Audi wheels that I knew would fit over the brembos and then by chance someone I knew was selling his r888s. They were the wrong size being 215/45/17s whereas I wanted 225s but they were cheap and new enough that I took the risk. Worked out and will probably be for sale come Saturday if you're interested.

Hi. So if Yokohama advance 08 is a good tyre why wouldn't the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 be useless and shred.
The Fleva is their latest grippiest tyre yet. Not available in England for another 3 months.
Can you explain a bit further. I get its s road tyre and not a semi slick. I'd expect to lose a couple of mm in a day but don't understand why it will shred.
Sorry if being s bit thick.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
You're not being thick, I'm probably overplaying the shredding bit tbh but my experience of taking a car on track with road tyres is that the grip is average at best, they rapidly overheat and then melt. I also wouldn't believe the hype about a new tyre so much.

With tyres, it's all about compromise and you just have to figure what your priority is, wether it be dry grip, longevity, noise etc. If you want all out dry grip there will be a compromise in wet grip. It may not be awful but it will be a compromise.

The best road tyre I've had experience of is the Michelin pilot supersport. Brilliant in the dry, very good on track and from what I hear but am too much of a girl to try out myself good in the wet as well. They're on my car right now but if I was going for an alternative it'd be the advan ad08 for which I think are slightly more tilted towards dry grip.

You've got the advan flexas already so if you don't mind losing a couple of mm then do take it on a track day and see how you find them. After you go out the first time you'll be buzzing but when you get back to the pits, check your tyre pressures as they'll have risen about 10psi.

To give you an idea of the difference in grip between semis and road tyres have a look at this video. It's me a few years ago driving a friends Volvo s40 t4 with 370bhp. It has coilovers and for some reason that I don't remember it has federal rsr on the front and uniroyal rainsports on the back. There's some swearing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_NYW4jNAo

Edit. It's got a plated diff hence hard to keep in a straight line!

Last edited:

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
I too have spoken to people at trackdays about the ADVAN's and they are rated highly.

My experience is with two sets of Federal RSR on two different cars and for the money they are great, around £80 a tyre, found the grip to be good but can overheat after a few spirited laps. But also found it hard to get to warm up on rear when its only 4 degrees outside ( :) ).

In Fact, I just bit the bullet and bought two R88R tyres for my fronts (225/35/18) and did a before and after test last week at Brands and I would honestly say yes they are grippier and the car spun its wheels less out of the corners and they didn't suffer overheating and I enjoyed them more but could I justify the double price in general? Not really, if you want ultimate performance and have the money R888R's but for a general trackday tyre the Federal RSR is great, especially at the cost. I've found their wet performance to be really good as i've driven on the road more than on track and their on the road grip is better than the usual road summer road tyre you can get. I would not like to run the R888R on the road in the wet but that's my preference from looking at the tread pattern (less groove, big rubber area so no where for water to drain).

Wear seems ok on the RSR, only done 3000 odd miles on this set and about half way worn.

On the under bonnet heat shield front, the previous owner removed / lost it when had some spray work done. Does get bloody hot under there I must admit, hope the paint doesn't start bubbling, hasn't happened yet... May fit a vent but not found one I like yet that doesn't let the rain in.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Just a quick post, myself and a few friends are booked up with MSVtrackdays.co.uk at Snetterton on the Evening of 24th July, if anyone's interested / already going, be good to say hi.

If you fancy it I've a group booking discounted rate at £62.10 each for the evening session, you need to PM me for the name it's under.

If you've never been and it would be your first trackday you're more than welcome as a passenger in my car before you take yours around. I'm no Nigel Mansell mind you :)

Trev.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Just a quick post, myself and a few friends are booked up with MSVtrackdays.co.uk at Snetterton on the Evening of 24th July, if anyone's interested / already going, be good to say hi.

If you fancy it I've a group booking discounted rate at £62.10 each for the evening session, you need to PM me for the name it's under.

If you've never been and it would be your first trackday you're more than welcome as a passenger in my car before you take yours around. I'm no Nigel Mansell mind you :)

Trev.

I'm very keen to come as is a pal of mine.
That's a good rate too.
I'd be pleased to jump in with you for a few laps and pointers one day.
Get an idea on braking points etc.
Sadly my car is in need of a new turbo.
It runs fine but I won't take any chances.
Should have a new one in by the end of the month.
So keep us posted if and when you go again as Im we'll up for joining you another day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
So I took a look at the RSR looks like a great track tread.
The Advan08R looks like a balance between track and road.
To make changing easier do you all run two sets of wheels?
Do you set up the car before or do it at the track? Wheels I mean.
Another question, on the night sessions, I'm guessing the tracks aren't floodlit?
Does this make it that much trickier in the dark? I know what some idiots are like on the roads once the light fades!

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
So I took a look at the RSR looks like a great track tread.
The Advan08R looks like a balance between track and road.
To make changing easier do you all run two sets of wheels?
Do you set up the car before or do it at the track? Wheels I mean.
Another question, on the night sessions, I'm guessing the tracks aren't floodlit?
Does this make it that much trickier in the dark? I know what some idiots are like on the roads once the light fades!

hi Sparkie, Needs a new turbo :( but what a good excuse to look out for a Hybrid one :D not an easy job to replace I think, (reaching exhaust manifold bolts are bad enough I'm told) plus about the same price as a recon Turbo.

I've heard the A08R may be better than RSR's but can't speak from experience other than I've run the RSR's as daily's (well weekends) and on the track and really rate them dry and wet.

At my last outing I did bolt on two new Yoko R888R's as my front's and they feel more gripper but I'm not intending to run them on the road, there a medium compound and feel like they would just be ripped apart on a typical crappy British road. So I drive to and from on the RSR's and change the fronts at the track.

Evening sessions generally run till it is deemed too dark for your car lights to be safe, which is usually dusk rather than dark. It's not much different as you can still see the sides of the road.

I'll be sure to post back here when planning next event, Brands Hatch evenings are on special at the moment for £99 with Opentrack.co.uk, may have to think about one of them after this Monday's outing.

cheers

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I'm hoping to book on to the full day at Castle Combe Friday 8th September work permitting. Done a few track experiences at Knockhill before and done the Mercedes AMG stuff at Brooklands but this will be my first track day in my own car.

A good excuse to wear out the mediocre Contis that came with the car and to really see what the car is capable of as the road is no place for it (honestly officer).

Car is completely standard (290 ST Black Edition) so will be taking it fairly easy, just looking for a good day out with likeminded peeps. If anyone here is going give me a shout :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.