Audi Le Mans diesel article

George K

I have just read a fascinating article in the August edition of Race Engine Technology.
Some key points are:

5.5 litre V12
Bore approx 83 mm
Weight 250 kg
Injection by common rail at 2,000 bar
Power in excess of 650 bhp – limited by two 39.9 mm air restrictors and max boost of 2.94 bar absolute.
Max rpm 5,000, operating range 3,000 – 5,000.
Fixed vane turbos
Fuel consumption at Le Mans about 6 mpg.
Fuel – based on Shell V-power
Uses DPF as no smoke is allowed – very low back pressure type made of ceramic material.
Runs leaner than stoichiometric, not only to minimise smoke, but also to avoid build up of particulate matter on piston and rings.
Major benefit from not having to allow for exhaust gas recirculation.

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
Fookin awesome car... had the priviledge of seeing one in the flesh at last year's Goodwood. At idle you can't tell the thing is actually on!

T

Bazza

also interestingly the engine is entirely made from aluminium which is not something you can usually do with a diesel because the diesel fuel actually corodes/attacks/eats the aluminium. very clever metallurgical analysis going on at Audi.

I read somewhere else that someone is going to or has made a road going aluminium diesel engine. this would be great for the like of us running hot diesels at the moment because the road cars would have less nose weight and hence handle better

that Audi R10 is awesome though, they say even at full chat down the Mulsanne its almost silent

George K

I think that the Volvo D5 and the new BMW 123D are aluminium.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.