Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Some more head shots :D

null_zps001ada2a.jpg

null_zps36cc5074.jpg

null_zpsbdfbb52c.jpg

null_zps9b94faf4.jpg

null_zps1878e496.jpg

null_zps20f5176d.jpg

null_zpsa7838fe5.jpg

null_zpsba60b162.jpg

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
...some more pics...

You may be able to spot the extra angle to the exhaust valve seats in this pic...
null_zpsbcbedf66.jpg

..and the inlets...
null_zpsd21ea996.jpg

null_zps59cb5ec3.jpg

Last bits now are removing the broken bolts from the cam caps and a light skim...

Fantastic work from Andrew at A.L. Developments... looking forward to getting this back just to see it on the engine let alone see how it performs :D

<tuffty/>

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Yes, I see the angles in the exhaust valve seat. Reminds me of being back in the machine shop.

Is the light skim just to get rid of the old gasket marks? I take it somewhat for granted that you know exactly what compression ratio you'll have after the skim.

Then you'll have the unenviable task of braking it in an changing oil after a whin of miles.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
That head should be a coffee table in your Lounge like on Top Gear :).
Excellent work by ALD. Dare i ask what the approx cost would be to have that done to my small port head.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Yes, I see the angles in the exhaust valve seat. Reminds me of being back in the machine shop.

Is the light skim just to get rid of the old gasket marks? I take it somewhat for granted that you know exactly what compression ratio you'll have after the skim.

Then you'll have the unenviable task of braking it in an changing oil after a whin of miles.

Light skim to reface and remove pitting etc really... it won't alter the comp ratio enough to worry about...

Engine will most likely be run in on the dyno as the map will need dialling in to the new hardware... oil will get dumped after that and replaced with mineral again and I'll drive her about on actuator for 400-500 miles before dumping that and going fully synth and full on mapping..

That head should be a coffee table in your Lounge like on Top Gear :).
Excellent work by ALD. Dare i ask what the approx cost would be to have that done to my small port head.

20v start from 450...
http://www.aldevelopments.com/Products--and--Services3.php

<tuffty/>

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
That's good value for money imho as its quite a few hours spent there. I'm fitting a SEM at the moments and last light I noticed how rough the intake ports into the head are. ( I was going to use the expression "as rough as a Badger's arse" however I feel it may be taken out of context ;):D)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Always watch this thread with interest as everything is documented and explained in detail and concisely
I did meet you a few years ago at Bills when you were fitting your 4 pots, didn't ever think it would turn into such a project though
Keep up the good work

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Always watch this thread with interest as everything is documented and explained in detail and concisely
I did meet you a few years ago at Bills when you were fitting your 4 pots, didn't ever think it would turn into such a project though
Keep up the good work

Thanks dude... a lot of time has passed since then lol... who would have thought that I bought the car thinking I would not to do anything more than a remap... now I am in a position that I can remap the car myself... and of course now fitting a turbo thats capable of nearly three times its original power...

Funny how things work out

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Sounds awesome, will this be a 500 bhp build. Should be able to hold its own with the well tuned evo's etc with the 4WD.

Has the potential for 500hp yeah... will see how it goes... there is also the possibility of cams later on... rather not rev past 8k for reliabilities sake but its not like I do it often and nice to know I can ;P

Just ordered one of these...
FMBSMP18T.jpg

While I have no immediate plans to 'track' the car given the spec it seems a sensible addition to have...

<tuffty/>

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I think they should put baffled sumps on all cars. I don't exceed speed limits too often. Like to do my 30s, 40s and 50s but I love to punt it around most corners that I come to. Kids have been sick a few times in the back, well only Abigail, Aimee shouts faster. :D

Bill has a video of the testing of rev limit in his forum section. Valve float occurs at 7500 rpm. Is yours a different setup in terms of spring stiffness?

Sequential twin turbo setup would be nice in a 500 bhp setup to avoid a lack of perceived oomph in the lower rev range. I seen it done on a sierra cosworth but I take it your engine bay would be a bit cramped for that.

The mate dropped a tuned alh engine into a mk2 golf and put twin turbo compound set up into it but it definately didn't look standard. I'm not a big fan of compound setup anyway, much prefer sequential or parallel.

Last edited:

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
I have the same valve setup as Bills race car... supertech valves and springs... it will rev past 8k with ease... 8.5k being as much as I would care for on hydraulic followers

<tuffty/>

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I'd actually like to hear that. Just to see what it's like compared to a vtec.

The old 2ltr eight valve golfs share the same valve train gear with the likes of the alh and ahu tdi engines and are rated to brakedown/destruct at 8000rpm.

That valve train that you have would be nice in a biturbo rs4. I seen an s3 with a rs4 engine dropped into on pitonheads a while back,

I once took a 1.6 sierra to 70mph in 2nd gear. I'm not to sure what revs it was but I could hear a pink, pink, pinkity sound. :D

If you were to rev it out to 8k with a 25mph per 1000 rpm top gear ratio, mines 24mph in a 5 speed manual, then you'd have a theoretical 200mph car if you got 550bhp to go with it.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Had a bit of a fail last weekend... started painting the wheels... all was going well...

20130915_134106.jpg

20130915_162922.jpg

20130915_163520.jpg

20130915_165218.jpg

20130915_165225.jpg

..then I lacquered them...
20130915_174257.jpg

:(

Guess I didn't leave adequate drying time... which apparently is supposed to be at least 30mins... clearly 5-10mins is not enough :(

Will have another go at some point later...

So today to get over the fail I painted more engine bits and bolted stuff on to make it prettier...

20130922_143447.jpg

20130922_143501.jpg

...I also collected up all the parts of the 'turbo kit' ready for its new home... quite sad as it marks the end of an era...
20130922_173745.jpg

...but obviously marks the start of a new phase... a phase that has a 600hp capable turbo in it... :D

<tuffty/>

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.