Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

Andrew@ALD

I do very much

I spend a lot of time on each port to get the right size and finish

And when I said I did the head cheap for Paul I mean I did it for free as he post a lot on forums with updates on his car so doing the head for free is very good advertising for me.

I just needed to pop on here to explain what happened with the seat as I always lap valves in and rebuild the head for my customers but in this case I only got a bare head with a few broken studs in it.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Yarp... I had no reason to think the seats would need any attention other than lapping in which I was going to do myself... valves came out clean as a whistle and the seats were spot on when I originally built the head...

I sent the head to Andrew bare to help speed things up and knowing I was in a position to strip/rebuild anyway... if I had spotted the iffy seats prior to sending the valves would have gone too...

Ah well... :D

Thanks again for sorting the porting (lol)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Small update... the head issues are sorted!! w00t!

First of all big thanks to the big man for taking the time to sort this out this week... very very very much appreciated... :D

Seats were re-cut and valves lapped in... plus the valves got a bit of a clean too so all is good in the world.. will rebuild it over the weekend but here are a few pics

1395166_451917314926359_378976633_n.jpg

603114_451917354926355_1766816817_n.jpg

603006_451917278259696_772138714_n.jpg

6443_451917448259679_2075874818_n.jpg

563180_451917394926351_1638496005_n.jpg

The turbo and all the silly expensive Tial flanges have arrived too... pics at the weekend

<tuffty/>

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Looks like stunning work there, thats for sure a man that takes huge pride in his work! Finish looks absolutely perfect to me.
Looking forward to this getting built up now, its getting close!

Andrew@ALD

I'm sure you mean both of us

Paul is very anal with how his engine is built and painted. OCD in a good way.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
I did consider it Andrew but tbh I am not a massive fan of the GTX range... look good on paper but the results I have seen from them so far doesn't fill me with confidence...

Sticking to what I know tbh...

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
So... the end of a productive weekend...

Valves and springs in...
20131026_172113.jpg

Chasing threads and fitting studs back in...
20131027_114308.jpg

Next up, fitting cam pulley back on using an ARP bolt and EKAGrip shim...
20131027_123308.jpg

The shim has diamond shizzle on it apparently for increasing friction between cam and pulley... fecking expensive is all I can really say but seemed a good idea..
20131027_123451.jpg

Fitted...
20131027_123727.jpg

ARP'd up :)
20131027_124044.jpg

New bolts for the cam caps...
20131027_124939.jpg

Sadly though on one of the holes where a bolt had snapped off the threads up top were iffy as hell so to be sure I used a longer bolt torqued to 10nm... if this comes loose after the running in period then only other choice is redrill for a large bolt or helicoil... hopefully this will be fine... torqued up ok so fingers crossed...
20131027_132452.jpg

All done ...
20131027_141448.jpg

Oiled the bores...
20131027_143500.jpg

Dropped on the headgasket
20131027_143551.jpg

...and dropped on the head...
20131027_144009.jpg

Out with the ARP's...
20131027_144015.jpg

...then hit an issue with the tensioner (I did anticipate this tbh)
20131027_152332.jpg

The manual tensioner couldn't roll round as the tensioner damper was in the way... this would be an issue going forward as it needs the room to swing to allow the belt to come off/go on etc...
20131027_152339.jpg

...so I profiled the dampers body and all was good in the world :)
20131027_154726.jpg

Added some previously painted/lacquered bits...
20131027_163159.jpg

20131027_163349.jpg

20131027_163407.jpg

Exhaust manifold next :D

<tuffty/>

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Very nice work again. You never do hang around do you haha. I always love reading your updates, so much happening all the time. When do you think you will get engine in and starting?

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Very nice work again. You never do hang around do you haha. I always love reading your updates, so much happening all the time. When do you think you will get engine in and starting?

tbh I have no idea... I need to get the exhaust mani done and then the engine bay prepared for the engine... (heatshielding etc)...

I want to make up the oil drain and coolant lines off the car too as this will be easier and I need to sort the gearbox out...

Lots to do but concious that the car is monopolising a ramp at the moment so want to get to a point that if the car needs to be wheeled out the way for any reason then it can be...

Realistically the car is off the road until its done and done right... if that means 6 months then thats the way it will be but I am hopeful that once I have the exhaust mani done then the rest should move fairly quickly...

<tuffty/>

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Lots to do but concious that the car is monopolising a ramp at the moment so want to get to a point that if the car needs to be wheeled out the way for any reason then it can be...

.... it would need wheels on it to wheel it out....

and somewhere to wheel it out to.... once fecking pos ibiza's out of the way!

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
tbh I have no idea... I need to get the exhaust mani done and then the engine bay prepared for the engine... (heatshielding etc)...

I want to make up the oil drain and coolant lines off the car too as this will be easier and I need to sort the gearbox out...

Realistically the car is off the road until its done and done right... if that means 6 months then thats the way it will be but I am hopeful that once I have the exhaust mani done then the rest should move fairly quickly...

<tuffty/>

So still a good bit of work to do.
I do agree, no point in rushing, things will only start to go wrong that way. What needs done with the gearbox? Let me guess.... Paint? Haha.
6 months would be a good time for winter leaving, dont suppose this thing would be very great in winter even with quattro haha.
Are you having a tubular mani? I cant even remember if you had one before?
I need to get my arse in gear to build my mani, if only i could afford to buy one. Over winter should do :)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
So still a good bit of work to do.
I do agree, no point in rushing, things will only start to go wrong that way. What needs done with the gearbox? Let me guess.... Paint? Haha.
6 months would be a good time for winter leaving, dont suppose this thing would be very great in winter even with quattro haha.
Are you having a tubular mani? I cant even remember if you had one before?
I need to get my arse in gear to build my mani, if only i could afford to buy one. Over winter should do :)

Had a Pag Parts log mani with the GT30... was a little restrictive top end so will be making a tubular mani this time around which should boost things a little..

The car is perfectly at home in the winter months tbh... not having a sprightly low down turbo and a linear pedal map makes her very well behaved... in the snow it even better especially with these bad boys...
IMG_20120212_134549.jpg

Can go pretty much anywhere with those on... and I can launch the car too... my favorite trick is overtaking people on hills... just pull up behind as they are spinning away and just shoot past :)

<tuffty/>

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
So do you have any experience building manifolds? Will it be equal length runners? Hopefully will see plenty progress pics of it ;). Im desperate to get mine done but its pretty difficult as the ibiza bay is pretty tight for the downpipe, external WG etc.
Haha i would hate you forever if you did that to me hahah. Would this get used through winter if it was in one piece then?
Bill, is that your ibiza? Or customer? Got me thinking you sold your race car!

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
So do you have any experience building manifolds? Will it be equal length runners? Hopefully will see plenty progress pics of it ;). Im desperate to get mine done but its pretty difficult as the ibiza bay is pretty tight for the downpipe, external WG etc.
Haha i would hate you forever if you did that to me hahah. Would this get used through winter if it was in one piece then?
Bill, is that your ibiza? Or customer? Got me thinking you sold your race car!

No real experience building manifolds (bill has built a K04 one before) but I can 'fabricate' stuff and done the odd downpipe or two (including my own car) so I can't see it being a major headache as such..

Equal length is not that much of a concern on turbo mani's from what I understand... merge collector design however is... needs to be pointing in the right direction etc and long enough to get the speed up from what I understand but tbh the mani will be built along the lines of where I want the turbo to be vs ultimate performance as I am not chasing the nth degree here...

I still use my Mk2 Golf during the week but use the S3 for at least three days a week every week... when it snows here I bang the winters on and use the S3 throughout...

This is one of the key things I have tried to do with the build... make the car usable... I have recently been using the S3 more and in the new year I suspect I will use her more...

If you build it right then there is no reason for it to be a snorting, spitting hot rod... I can get up to 60 and bung on the cruise control for a nice amble to work... :)

<tuffty/>

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Ahh, i always thought it was best for equal lengths, may make it a fair bit easier for me. Where do you plan to mount your turbo? Still tucked down behind or is it too big for that now? Are you still keeping the same tial gate?

Certainly sounds like i need something with 4wd haha, that much power but still usable in all weathers. Even in the wet my ibiza spins in 5th if too happy. Thats a total different thing to yours though haha.

Being honest, watching yours come along aswell as a lot of others on here, its really making me want to take mine to bill next year. It was previously done at r ****. Wherever i go it will be a travel and a week or so in a hotel but bills work, mapping and customer service never seems to fail.

Does bill do your mapping or do you get let loose?