Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Busy day...

Started by finishing off fitting the AP Racing bolts to the other disc as I only got one done last night. Then moved onto the problem with the hose not fitting the throttle body properly.

Removed the battery and battery tray, undid the MAP sensor tube bracket and loosened up the hoses lower clamp.. essentially fixed it in placed properly top and bottom before attempting to bolt the MAP sensor tube back down. Spaced the bracket up with a couple of stainless steel nuts and bolted it back down... trimmed a bit off the edge of the battery tray so it would not interfere with the MAP sensor tube and jobs a good un...

20090918_CRW_3706.jpg

20090918_CRW_3709.jpg

20090918_CRW_3712.jpg

Next I fitted the new injectors to the fuel rail

New 630cc injectors top, S3 bottom
20090918_CRW_3714.jpg

Fitted...
20090918_CRW_3716.jpg

As the 630's are taller, spacers were required to raise the fuel rail...
20090918_CRW_3717.jpg

Wiring reached fine so no need to lose the OE fixtures. I did take the opportunity to re-loom the replacement knock sensor 1 wiring I replaced as I was getting fault codes indicating the wiring was at fault and taped it properly into the loom running it through some flexi conduit along with boost gauge hose. All nice and neat... engine bay is coming back together nicely...
20090918_CRW_3720.jpg

....more to follow...

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Next job was the fuel filter relocation. Luckily, Bill had a load of hoses he ripped out of his Ibiza so I had a load of OE push fit connectors allowing me to do a neat job of the pipework. Made a bracket and mounted it in..
20090918_CRW_3721.jpg

Test fit...
20090918_CRW_3726.jpg

Used some silicon hose to prevent rubbing etc, final fitment..
20090918_CRW_3727.jpg

I am not 100% happy with this at the moment... I am going to revisit it again once everything else is done with a mind to make a more stable bracket that maybe stands off the engine mount or something... its very tight down there and there are a few hoses in the way so want to make sure its not going to cause any probs being there.

And there we have it. I have one hose clip to refit as I over tightened it (DOH!!) and thats pretty much it for connecting stuff up under the bonnet.

Next job is to wire and plumb in the inline fuel pump, fabricate a TIP, fabricate the DP, rejig the water hose from the block to the turbo as I am not happy with it and look at the oil drain again as it needs a bit of tweaking to ensure it misses the driveshaft.

Bit of mapping to top it off and should all be done :D

Might be going over tomorrow to remove the rear seats etc for the pump wiring but more likely have a weekend away from it as I am back at work next week and could do with taking some actual time off...

Home stretch now, its been a fairly hectic couple of weeks but nearly done and all is looking good...

Just as a final comparison... here is a pic of the engine bay before I started..
20090903_CRW_3529.jpg

...and how it is now...
20090918_CRW_3730.jpg

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
not yet... the people I 'won' an exhaust from have now pulled their offer so I will look elsewhere... get her fired up and running first then worry about that later

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
I am looking to run a 3" cold air feed or something to it and smooth it out a bit. One of the guys onASN did it to his and sent me links to the pics so might have a pop at that next week

<tuffty/>

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
oem look. looks brilliant mate. good job so far. looking forward to reading it completed and on the go. good luck.!!!

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
your welcome matey. its nice to see the attention to detail and how proper your doing it all. i look forward to doing a project like this at some point in the future. have a good weekend ;-)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
This is a great read, very well written and carried out.
I take it your strutt brace is only removed to gain access and you'll be putting this back on when all is done?
Why do you want to keep the OEM look.
I'm all for keeping it looking as OEM as possible but this might limit your performance like with the MAP tube, intake manifold and the OEM air box.
Theres a very good guide in the MK1 Leon section for the 3" feed and air box smoothing with pictures.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
This is a great read, very well written and carried out.

Thanks, I appreciate it :)

I take it your strutt brace is only removed to gain access and you'll be putting this back on when all is done?

Yeah, just gets in the way while fabrication of the TIP an DP is ongoing... will be back on after its all fitted.

Why do you want to keep the OEM look.
I'm all for keeping it looking as OEM as possible but this might limit your performance like with the MAP tube, intake manifold and the OEM air box.

Having a lot of power in an otherwise std looking car has always appealed. Its one of the reasons I bought an Audi as they have always been a bit subtle in the looks department for the 'S' range of cars.

I am not chasing numbers with this build, the brief was OEM look, drivable as its a daily driver, reliable but to have power of course. The turbo was chosen for this reason, small hotside to aid spool but enough flow to get good power without cranking up the boost into heat pump territory.

Rather than spend loads and gain little, I want to be a little more logical with my approach. I can't see the point in spending hundreds on valve gear if I get no power beyond the OEM redline, no point in spending hundreds on a SEM mani if I only gain 10bhp etc or that it needs supporting mods such as a ported or large port head and valves etc which is all expense which may effect the drivability of the car...

I have further tweaks planned which does involve the MAP tube and the FMIC to change the charge pipe run to 60mm throughout but other mods will have a more considered approach.

If the airbox itself is restrictive enough to loose me a lot of power then I will address it but improving the flow to the box should certainly work as well as if not better than having a cone filter in a hot engine bay... we shall see..

Theres a very good guide in the MK1 Leon section for the 3" feed and air box smoothing with pictures.

Thanks, I'll go check that out... every little helps :)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Updates are gonna be a bit infrequent once I go back to work as with Bill off and Tony doing the odd evening I won't get much time to work on the car.

Spent a bit of time with the fuel pump today. I have ordered some new fittings so not going to fit the pump up properly as yet but I did wire it in.

20090919_CRW_3737.jpg

20090919_CRW_3738.jpg

20090919_CRW_3741.jpg

..then wired it off the OEM pump wiring...
20090919_CRW_3739.jpg

Still not entirely happy with the arrangement of the pump fittings. Going to look into getting hold of either VAG style push fittings or at the very least have a chat with APR in the states as they have a pump with the push fit ends on which would be ideal...
tts3_fuel_pump.jpg

If I get a chance I will have a look at the TIP next week.

Getting there...

<tuffty/>

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Looking good. The apr pump is a walbro with the oem style fittings. Ive bought just the fittings before, but just cant remember where from.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
If you like OEM, have a look for the R32 DSG (I think that's what it's off) air feed - it's a larger cross section than the standard snorkel. Not total sure it'll fit yours, I think the A3's slam panel is different.

The entry into the stock airbox takes an 80mm feed, so that's pretty big, but the stock snorkel is narrow.

If Bill's mapping it, maybe map it with the snorkel removed, then log it with the snorkel fitted and see if the g/sec drops.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.