Audi S3 IHI PE1820 build.

welly.

Badger 5 Edition
Oct 4, 2010
Stroud, Gloucestershire
I have been running a CR Hybrid K04 for several months now in various atges of tune, from the original after fitment power of ~300 BHP on OEM manifold, through to 340 BHP+ on a tubular stainless K04 Manifold with water meth.

I have now decided that, as the hybrid project has come to an end, to remove the hybrid and pursue something a little different.

Bill (Badegrbill) happens to have a Primary Designs IHI suited top mount manifold and a Power Enteprises PE1820 on his shelf doing nothing…. So why not?

Thus, here we are at the start of a new project for my S3.

Power aspirations from this turbo are unknown in top mount fitment in honesty, and thus it should be an interesting exercise.

All of the below is the relevant info lifted from my Audi Sport thread (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/116511-next-project-please.html), and is leaving out all of the other blurb. Feel free to browse that thread to get the full picture…

Being an SCN member as well, I thought I would also share this on here!

So here we go:

Popped into Bill's last night to mock up the fitment and get a feel for where everything will need to go - mainly the TIP and oil/coolant lines.

To be fair, it looks like it should fit into the engine bay with some minor modifications, shouldn't be the end of the world.

Oil and coolant lines and going to be flexible braided hose based, rather than hard piping. It's easier to manipulate them and make them run around things. I will most likely pop to a hydraulics company up the road from Bill who did my PAS pipe to get some idea of pricing for the unions required.

The other things that will be a challenge will be the down pipe, however Bill will be sorting that as the final part of the build me thinks, once everything else is in.

The S3 will be coming off the road at the end of this weekend. I runs out of MOT Monday next week, and I don't see the point in getting it done solely to have it sat in the garage and wasting time, and eating into the MOT time...

I have found another car I plan to buy as a run about. A 306 D Turbo with tax and test (and a bargain price) should do the trick for getting about, and then I can sling it through the auctions after should I decide to not keep it.

Have confirmed use of my garage - need to get in there and sort it out though before a car will fit.... :-/.

Money is sorted. Aiming to do it on a £2500 budget, with a reasonable chunk of that coming from the sale of the gear I currently have. That includes a few hundred quid for contingency which hopefully won't be required, but in my experience will be....

I am excited to get on and start this - will suck to not have the S3 on the road for a bit though. However a few months driving a diesel to work and back alone in money saved on fuel... should pay for the project in money saved on fuel.

Still need to knock together a parts list, however will do all that sort of jazz today whilst at work.

Some photos then....

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

OK then, so it's on like Donkey Kong.

Runner is now sorted - bought a little gem bargain from Cirencester last night for £450. Tax till end of May, MOT till September. Here it is:

8.jpg

1.2 petrol engine - perma turbo lag basically. Still on the plus side, my mate drove the S3 home and it was nice to hear it being driven by someone else on the road - especially hearing her coming past.

The insurance is all sorted - how is it that the insurance on that Clio is only £174 cheaper than the S3? lol. Go figure.

I have spent this morning tidying out the garage awaiting the start of the project - I should be able to fit the car in now which is a result...

I have also been doing some fairly simplistic measuring up, and now have a list of what I need to buy.... gulp. Best get on with that then...

So, on Saturday night I shall be starting. Salute to the hybrid .

OK, so the first evenings work on the S3 has gone well. Very well in fact.

Spent 3 hour working on the old girl tonight, and now find myself with nothing to do expect for extract the downpipe... So have come in early for some CoD.

Anyway, started off by backing her into her new home for a while. Was really pleased as there is enough room for the car, and to move around. One of the benefits of having a reasonable size garage.

Then moved through the motions of head and turbo removal - same old drill. Another wasted looking brand new head gasket and head bolts in the bin.... Hmm. I look at the head gaskets and just see money down the drain.

The XS Power manifold is still in A1 condition - no cracks, no warps, just was blowing from 2 loose nuts on the manifold - head flange (2 that are arseholes to do up I might add). Still, have been thoroughly impressed by this bit of kit for the money. Flows well, even after I have been using it for about 5 K.

K04 hybrid also looks good - no cracks in the hotside, no play in the turbine. Spot on. I was a little sad to take it off I must admit. That little turbo is a very impressive bit of kit, and has far surpassed my expectations from it. Round of applause for the hybrid.

So then, need to start thinking about how this IHI is going to fit.... To the drawing board we go....

OK, have done some further work on it today - not much however due to it being mother's day etc etc etc...

Turbo actually fits really well - as it turns out, the inlet is pretty much in the perfect place for the TIP to slot in between the matrix pipes, which makes life a lot easier to be fair. Result. No modification required there then.

Manifold also fit really well, once I had disposed of the Turbo Support Tracker (those of you who read my rebuild thread will know how much I hate this already.... ), and the turbo fits really well in the bay which is nice...

I spent about 25 mins just stood there looking at it and smiling once I had mock fitted - which was a bit sad I admit.

Coolant lines and oil lines shouldn't be the end of the world to be fair - however only time will tell.

I have mocked up a TIP using the B5 3" TIP and some other odds and sods - looks like it will fit nicely.

Here is a basic plan of how I would like it laid out:

pe1820_plan.jpg

Injectors are now here - a BIG thanks to S3Dave for sorting me out with those.

22.jpg

They should certainly help get some additional fuel in there....

Also have just spent £60 on ebay buying various bits and bobs - it's amazing how the small things that you forget about quickly mount up.

Got:
• 10 metres of heat wrap and SS straps
• 2 x 50 metre rolls of silver foil heat reflective tape. (won them for 99p! whoop)
• 2 x M12 x 1.25 banjo bolts
• 1 x M10 x 1.5 banjo bolt
• Banjo washers
• 60mm - 76mm Silicone reducer (TIP - turbo)
• 2 x 76mm couplers

I love buying goodies

RockSteadyEddie

Ahhhhh Mr wellings! How ya doin?

Fair play that thing is going to be silly fast! :D

welly.

Badger 5 Edition
Oct 4, 2010
Stroud, Gloucestershire
always wondered if its worth the money , haven't seen any reviews on was thinking would be my first mod on my mk4 r32

A few people on ASN have them - not something that has ever interested me really, and especially not at that cost when the OEM gear is ample IMO.

Some people do swear by them. I'd rather spend that money on an SEM manifold.... lol

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
get ya , its cause to be honest my r32 is quite understeery and i was think to save for supercharger kit from jbs but they also tellling me to look into haldex contoller , i'll get coilovers and uprated anti roll bars at some point though

RockSteadyEddie

Hello Ted - I didn't know you were on here! I didn't realise that was you the other day on the 38.

Ah yes twas me! :D
Give me a shout when you have a mo, i need to talk N429 bypass and vagcom with you!

welly.

Badger 5 Edition
Oct 4, 2010
Stroud, Gloucestershire
Good progress yesterday - a day off (with a few errands to run as well) an the lovely weather made me crack on.

Did my most hated of jobs - removed the engine mount, reset the tensioner and installed the new cam belt. Thank god that's out of the way!

Started off by taking some comparison shots of the turbos as the hybrid is going today:

23.jpg

I also took my 'mocked' (or bodged) oil lines up to the hydraulics company who will be making them. Was hoping for them to be back Friday -however that wasn't to be - Monday they should be sorted.

24.jpg

Then moved on to created the correct shape and size charge pipe....

25.jpg

Then carried on my manifold porting work.... The first picture shows the difference between the porting of one side and not the other, and then the completed port.

26.jpg

27.jpg

Then prepped my new TIP with the parts bought for it. I have decided the have the 007P welded directly to the 3" alloy on the TIP rather than mess about with hoses connecting it. Not sure how this will work out, however time will tell....

28.jpg

Then finished a few other housekeeping bits and bobs.

Finished up the night with this:

29.jpg

Well deserved - I was knackered.

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
Really stupid question as I'm not that mechanical minded. Where does the pizza fit onto??

Looking good so far. Bet your like a kid in a sweat shop at the moment. Will keep tabs on how your getting on.
Keep up the good work.

welly.

Badger 5 Edition
Oct 4, 2010
Stroud, Gloucestershire
A few bits ordered arrived through the post today - turbo hoses and a few other odds and ends.

The inlet manifold is finished, rocker cover repainted, turbo hoses trimmed and fitted, throttle body ported.

Awaiting a few bits now and I can start putting it all back together...

Some photos:

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

RobDon

Pro Detailer
What sort of power is the PE1820 capable of on the 1.8T? I've heard Bill mention before about how IHI turbos can be fragile and are not rebuildable - are you concerned? Looks an interesting project!

Found this:

"The PE 1820 Turbo is a high-performance turbo developed by Power Enterprise. This turbo uses IHI turbine & compressor housings and incorporates PE's custom twin-ball bearing center cartridge. This design allows the turbo to be capable of over 440+ HP (~360+whp). The PE1820 is well suited as a race turbo. This turbo features a P20 turbine housing which is larger than the PE1818's P18 turbine housing. Although the larger housing induces more lag than the PE1818, the true benefits of the PE1820 is the significantly increased power output levels at 21+ PSI range. This turbo is an excellent choice for customers who are seeking a high power turbo race turbo. This turbo is a direct bolt-on for all GC8, GDA, GDB EJ20 turbo engines."

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.